Cheap, Effective Deck?

Chrono

Ragin' Cajun
Hey, I haven't played this game since middle school, but I might as well get back into it if it's cheap enough.

Are there any cheap (<$50) decks that are viable? And would these decks have room to move things around and make it your own?

Thanks.

The best choice for you would probably be the following:

Flareon / Leafeon / Raichu / Beartic - it uses Flareon from Plasma Freeze to do big damage with Vengeance (gets stronger based on Pokemon in your discard pile), Leafeon (Plasma Freeze) to do quick damage for 1 Energy while getting Type advantage against Keldeo-EX and Seismitoad-EX, Raichu (XY) to do quick Lightning Type damage against things like Yveltal-EX, and Beartic (Furious Fists) to counter Pokemon with high Retreat Costs. Battle Compressor (Phantom Forces) can be used to help get useless Pokemon in the discard pile quickly as well.

Donphan / Sigilyph / Kyurem - Donphan (Plasma Storm) is a strong attacker that gets lots of Fighting Type support, and can switch into more technical cards, like Sigilyph (Legendary Treasure) the EX wall, and Kyurem (Legendary Treasures) to absorb damage and strike back efficiently. Since Donphan can be quite expensive, you could always use Mienshao (Furious Fists) instead!

Lucario / Cofagrigus / Milotic - This is a much harder to use deck, but it's really fun! Lucario (Plasma Storm) is your main attacker with it's trait to doing more damage depending on how many prizes your opponent has takem, and Cofagrigus (Plasma Freeze) does additional damage, at the cost of giving up prizes. Milotic (Flash Fire) also gives up Prizes, in exchange for getting your Lucario's powered up with Energy!

Long story short, there are cheap decks, but if you are just starting, I cannot think of any way to make a deck under $50. There are staple cards that need to be run in every deck, with a total cost of around $35. If you want to save some money getting these staples and being able to build a good deck, I recommend you buy 2 Red Genesect Boxes (around $20 each). They come with 2 copies of the most common staple cards like N, Juniper, Ultra Ball, etc, so buying 2 of these will give you 4 of each. With your last $10 maybe buy 2-3 booster packs from Legendary Treasures to potentially pull an EX. With all those cards you can amass a decent deck. But I'm afraid without common staple cards, there aren't really any decks under $50. If you happen to have most of the staple cards already though, do what GadgetJax said ^^^^. Flareon is an incredible deck and very affordable. It was my first competitive deck, so it has a special place in my heart <3

Donphan / Sigilyph / Kyurem - Donphan (Plasma Storm) is a strong attacker that gets lots of Fighting Type support, and can switch into more technical cards, like Sigilyph (Legendary Treasure) the EX wall, and Kyurem (Legendary Treasures) to absorb damage and strike back efficiently. Since Donphan can be quite expensive, you could always use Mienshao (Furious Fists) instead!

This. The Donphans are the most expensive part of the deck (they were at like 8 or 9 apiece last I saw) but everything else in the deck is EXTREMELY cheap. Kyurems, Sigilyphs, etc. are no more than 2 or 3 dollars, and the trainer cards are even less

Donphan is the most popular deck in the format right now. It is the cheapest of the tier 1 decks. Donphans are $10 right now so the deck is probably going to cost you more than $50 but in my opinion it's worth it. Most of the other budget decks will not win you a tournament. Donphan is a good long term investment (unlike other rouge decks) because it is hard to counter. You can build Donphan so it counters almost anything.

Yveltal / Garbodor is a slightly more expensive deck, but it's still viable and very easy for new players to master. Yveltal-EX is available as a tin promo and Yveltal XY comes in a theme deck. The Pokemon lineup for a "Straight" Yveltal / Garb deck is pretty simple. Aside from the staples, the more pricey cards would be Hypnotoxic Laser, Virbank City Gym, and Dark Patch to have on hand in case you play Expanded. You might also consider running Shadow Circle (comes in the Yveltal theme deck) to counter M-Manectric.

Back