'Charisma of the Wrecked Sky,' Japan's SM7 Set Announced!

Zero Umbreon

Pyromaniacal sorcerer
Rayquaza is fun. The ability wording might just change everything. Stakataka: ? Kind of meh. Could be broken in Buzzwole, but it’s just a tech card. :(

PokemonTCGLover

Aspiring Trainer
Disregards Stakataka...OMG! Yes? Im totally getting some Rayquaza power with Zinnia and/or Magnezone. Currently playing Bulu, but.....RIP BULU!!!

SupremeLeaderQuagsire

Aspiring Trainer
  1. Stakataka-GX - I can't understand the ability. Is this ability guards UBs or reduces dmg from UBs atk? The atks are fine and... Recycled? Especially the GX atk which is literally Pheromosa. 3-4 Geodudes.
Pheromosa's does 50x the number of prize cards your opponent has taken. Stakataka's does 50 + 50 for each prize card you have taken. They aren't the same.

Kietharr

Aspiring Trainer
I'm not convinced on Rayquaza, I think Bulu is still the better Vikavolt partner, the ability is nice and all but you need 2x as much energy on the field to OHKO the 200/210 cards and 30x means you hit 150 with 5, which puts you right below the number you need to kill the popular base 190 cards unless you run devoured field. Even with this ability, it's not good that you need 2x as much energy on the field to hit your numbers than Bulu or Ultra Necrozma.

It's also got a fairy weakness which is a pretty big deal since Sylveon will probably pick up in play after rotation without N to counter magical ribbon. The Wall will see play as a bench sitter because that 10 damage is actually kind of a big deal, but bench space is already tight in both of the big UB decks so I don't know how prominent it will be.

AFEX

Serena is too cute!
GOD! THEY'RE BOTH GOD AWFUL.

TRUMPS WALL ISNT GOOD, 10 LESS DAMAGE BE LIKE OBAMAS IMMIGRATION LAW, LET THEM THROUGH.

Rayquaza is mediocre at BEST, even with Vikavolt it still doesnt matter, you have to spread energy all across the field, you cant over rely on one Pokemon, thats why Vikabulu is so much better.

Kent Freeze

Aspiring Trainer
Really like the Rayquaza -- throwing in a Xurkitree-GX + beast ring could be a situational help to keep the power up on it and also be a good disruption against decks that run a lot of special energy.

MoFoTY86

Aspiring Trainer
Rayquaza with Vikavolt? Sounds like a nice combo. Run multpile Rays, and farm energy with Vikavolt. However, with needing 6+ energy to OHKO and 180 HP, vika bulu is the better option. We still have more cards to be revealed before making assumptions.

Weavile04

Professional Dark-Type User
Amazing... stakataka is one of my favorite ultra beasts, and they put him out there in the best way... same with my boy rayquaza =P

OppositeAttract

Aspiring Trainer
Both pokemon represented well. Rayquaza has a lot of potential with VikaVolt and with its abilities turbo lightning/Raichu might be worth a try.

Stakataka look awesome and although I'd like it to have 210/220 hp it still has some viability, especially when paired with metal frying pan. It looks like a card that you could run like Wailord, or with Naganadel. Definitely want to try it out with stuff though.

King Quagsire

Ruler of Route 212, Scourge of the swamp
So stakataka with metal frying pan is potentially taking 70 less from attacks? Enough to survive a sunsteel strike? I cant help but feel that there must ve some combo that would make it an unstoppable beast late game, especially if there were one that could lead to max potioning without energy loss. I guess i could juwt make a mill deck instead.

Adiromit

Aspiring Trainer
The rayquazas attack is a bit like the one from roaring skies (M Rayquaza) and the one from dragons exalted. It has same concept as mega rayquaza but for energy, which is similar to the dragon exalted one. Both saw competitive play so I believe that this will soon start ruling the format

theprp30

Aspiring Trainer
Stakataka becomes Dusk Mane Necrozma's ultimate friend on the bench and can late game hit for a ton of damage. Rayquaza I still thought it would of had 190 hp and 3 retreat cost seems high for him.

Kangaflora

Aspiring Trainer
The art on Rayquaza GX is almost similar to Rayquaza ex from EX Deoxys. I think that just like Champion Road, this set will have Spiritual Reprints as well (with Lileep and Anorith evolving from Unidentified Fossil of course; though they may bring Omanyte and Kabuto from EX Sandstorm as Spiritual Reprints as well, and if they do, then they can either correct Omanyte's weakness from Lightning to Grass or change Kabuto's weakness from Grass to Lightning as in EX Sandstorm, both Omanyte and Kabuto were released as Water types, which I literally enjoyed).

WinterShorts

Aspiring Trainer
Stakataka is interesting. It's ability can stack (lol) damage reduction if you're committed to putting 3 or 4 on your bench, which can be important if the deck it's in is up against buzzwole, which means jet punch outta do nothing or like 10 or 20 damage. It's important for small setup attacks which is nice. The GX attack is also pretty good to get a last clean K.O. since it's possible to charge this thing up with Beast Ring and manually attach an energy. It's interesting, nothing less and nothing more. But that's what Ultra Beasts are, right?

Rayquaza's the main deal here, and to me it's basically the new Darkrai-EX, except it does more damage for it's energy and it's ability can get those energy on the board even if it's slight. Best of all it seems like it can be experimented by a variety of things, like SUM Vikavolt if Bulu isn't a better option (probably is though), Lurantis-GX will still be around but I'd think i'd rather use this thing via solitaring through my deck in 1 or 2 turns. If Rayquaza's ability let's it attach to other pokemon then super scoop up is totally viable for using the effect again. Probably the best option of all, if you're using this thing with a bunch of basic energies to increase the chance of energy acceleration using the ability, then I think the most optimal option to use here is SUM Dragonair, which outta go nuts the moment you use Dragon's Wish and let loose, and I have little doubt it wouldn't work. (I mean it worked well with BKP Darkrai-EX and did fairly well in a tournament here and there, so why not this thing?) Overall I quite like Rayquaza-GX and I'll definitley try this when it comes out. Well, when it comes out. I don't want to think of this thing unless we're close to the release date and we still have Celestial Storm and the promo Solgaleo to come out so that's a good couple month wait.

Oh and Tempest GX seems cool if you're running behind.
The art on Rayquaza GX is almost similar to Rayquaza ex from EX Deoxys. I think that just like Champion Road, this set will have Spiritual Reprints as well (with Lileep and Anorith evolving from Unidentified Fossil of course; though they may bring Omanyte and Kabuto from EX Sandstorm as Spiritual Reprints as well, and if they do, then they can either correct Omanyte's weakness from Lightning to Grass or change Kabuto's weakness from Grass to Lightning as in EX Sandstorm, both Omanyte and Kabuto were released as Water types, which I literally enjoyed).
I really hope they do. The less waiting I gotta do, the better.

Nick Tornell

Haha, art go brrrr
180 hp on the wall, i mean, it is a basic but... this wall doesn't look like the wall i was looking for. hopefully blacephalons attacks will make up for it if we ever do get one