Chandelure

venasour x

Now I'm in college :)
What are some good ideas to counter Chandelure? Some of the ones that I though of are:

Absol Prime-its too easily played around, and doesn't work in most decks.
Honchkrow-maybe not so obvious, but not all that good either.
Gliscor-can buy you a turn, not that good.
Mandibuzz-hard to set up, but one-shots all day.
Druddigon-quite good, but Chandy's ability bypasses his ability. Also too little HP.
Zoroark EP-Basically Mandibuzz, but more HP.
Zoroark BW-Pluspower or Sp. Dark for possible Burn KO.

I was wondering if you guys had any cards that I overlooked. Feel free to post any decent cards that can swing matchups. I play a D&D deck that I have had much success with, but I'm worried about Chandelure because I have some people that have been testing it around my area.

Zoroak might work. Copy his attack and your doing 100 and all you need is a Sp. dark or Plus Power to get a chance at a burn K.O. If you want to use Mandibuzz, I would recamend useing Zoroak from EP, it has the same energy cost, does 80 damage, but has resitance to {P} wich hels against attacking varients, and 100 HP wich means they need to use 4 of there abilty.

^ >_<
Anyways, I'd go with Zoroark bw. He works extremely well outside the chandy matchup as well.
EDIT: for the record, the ">_<" was for a spambot lol

pokemonjoe said:
^ >_<
Anyways, I'd go with Zoroark bw. He works extremely well outside the chandy matchup as well.

This. I hate to not add any content of my own, but I couldn't have said it better.

Absol Prime

Absol is good, but there are a few problems with it. One, it has to Lost Zone a Pokémon to use it's attack. Though this usually isn't a problem, if you don't have a Pokémon you can afford to throw in, or if you can't get the energy out. The nice thing about Absol is that it is a basic, which means a one card tech unless you don't use Rainbow Energy, meaning it is not hard to get out an get attacking, and also not hard to make room for. Its PokeBody is also helpful in other matchups, especially for Yanmega decks, and its RC means you won't have to waste a lot of resources to get it out. Out of all the possible Chandelure counters, this is the best because it is the easiest to fit in and get out. It doesn't require anything except a Pokémon in hand, which could easily just be an extra unneeded basic, or the Stage 1 of an evolvution skipped with Rare Candy.

Gliscor-"can buy you a turn, not that good."

Actually Gliscor doesn't even do that. The ability says nothing about Shadow Curse not being able to be used when Chandelure is affected by special conditions, and otherwise Gliscor's first attack doesn't work. Though it can stop Chandelure from retreating in the Trainer lock version, the ability can still be used. 30 damage does nothing to Chandelure, and the only other matchup I could see Gliscor working in is EelZone.

Mandibuzz.

Reasonable, but no worth it. Mandibuzz can ohko Chandelure, but it every other matchup Chandelure is useless. Except maybe against The Truth. The weakness Mandibuzz has, Lightning, is the worst in the format. Magnezone knocks it out in one hit, and its low HP means that in 1-2 turn Chandelure can knock it out, and unlike Absol, it will be hard to set up another, or even get Chandelure back.

Druddigon

This won't work well. You need 3 energy to use the attack, only to 3hko Chandelure, and though it can only do 30 through its ability, that still means it can knockout Durddigon in three turns, and unless you are somehow able to set up another Druddigon, Chandelure will be able to knockout Druddigon, and then you, the Druddigon player, will have no remain counters to Chandelure. Also, if Chandelure attacks, there is a 50% chance of not being able to just Clutch, meaning Chandelure can retreat, and Chandelure can do 60 a turn and 2hko any Druddigon benched.

This also does not work at all against Speed Chandelure, because that version of the deck can just use Switch, which most Speed Chandelure varients play four of.

Zoroark EP

Zoroark EP is much better than Mandibuzz, not having the awful weakness and having more HP, but still won't be great. The problem is, this is the only matchup Zoroark EP will ever be used. 80 damage is nothing to EelZone, Reshiram, etc, and to use the effort to set up Zoroark and places for the Zoroark line (1-1? 2-2? 2-1?) could be better used most often. Though you may say "Absol is only one less card" one less card does make a difference, and is used on other matchups, not to mention Absol is actually a great starter. Mandibuzz also actually can be used in other matchups. I can see it being used against Gothitelle and The Truth. This means Pokémon can hold less damage, and if they are 5 damage from ko, Mandibuzz can ko the benched Pokémon. If that Pokémon is Reuniclus, it automatically gives the Mandibuzz play and advantage. Zoroark EP just does 80.

Zoroark BW

This is another possible tech, but is the best tech if there aren't many Chandelure players in your area. This is because Zoroark works decently against Zekrom and Reshiram. My problem with it is being able to ko Chandelure. It relys on a burn flip and a Pluspower to knockout Chandelure. If the Zoroark player whiffs the Pluspower, or the Chandelure player flips heads, that allows the Chandelure player to just retreat and send up another, damage free Chandelure. At this point, Blissey can also be used to heal damaged Chandelure, preferably once multiple are damaged. Also, Zoroark is not a two card tech. The Vileplume will stop Pluspower from being used, so Special Dark has to be added for the Chance of Chandelure being knocked out, and for consistency a 2-2 line is often used. This means that you have a 5 card tech. 12% of your deck space is being taken up by Zoroark, only to have a 50/50 chance of working. Also, against the rest of the meta, Zoroark doesn't work as well. Against Reshiram with Eviolite, even a Pluspowered Blue Flare won't knockout Reshiram, while then Reshiram can just return with the Outrage ko. Same goes for Kyurem, and Zekrom to an extent.

Back