Cardstock Culture - Volume 1: Preparing for a Tournament

My Little Keldeo

Submarine Reflection!
Advanced Member
Cardstock Culture​
Pokemon Trading Card Game community etiquette, culture, and more​

Volume 1: Preparing for a Tournament

Introduction

Hello and welcome to my new series, Cardstock Culture. This is going to be a series of articles aimed at new players to the Pokemon TCG and casual players who are interested in joining the competitive scene. My plan is to write an article approximately every two weeks (subject to change) Since there's so many great players out there writing about strategy and reviewing cards and sets (who are more experienced and skilled at the game than myself), I figured I'd try something different that I haven't seen much of on Pokemon forums: the culture of the competitive community and how to get involved. Comments, questions, and feedback are always welcome.

Before I begin, allow me to introduce myself. I'm a competitive TCG player in the New Jersey area. and I've been playing for about a year and a half now. I'm a regular at All In One Collectibles, Time Warp Comics, and The Gamer's Edge. I've placed moderately in some large tournaments, including almost making Day 2 of Nationals this year, though I've yet to make a top cut, and show regularly at League Challenges in the area.

That should handle formalities. Now, let's dive right into this week's topic, preparing for a tournament! I thought this would be relevant, with fall Regionals in progress and Cities a few weeks away. Don't worry, it's not really as daunting as this article makes it out to be. Some of the things I'm going to say here are common sense, but it's sometimes surprising how many people don't think about these things. Without further ado, let's get started!

Preparing Your Deck

Obviously, you need a 60-card deck of format legal cards to play in a tournament. I'm not going to go in-depth on the art of deck building here, nor will I delve into how the metagame works, preparing to counter, etc. (perhaps in a future article). You can find a great article for new players by fellow Beachgoer dmaster on deck building here. The specifics of the article are dated, but the philosophy still holds true.

Build It!

What deck you decide to play will depend on several factors, including but not limited to what's popular in your area, your skill level, and your budget. Due to the rarity and availability of certain cards, some decks such as VirGen will cost more to build than others like Donphan or Yveltal. Assuming you're not interested in blinging out your deck with full arts and foils, you get the essentials for a Yveltal variant for around $100. As a new player, I wouldn't suggest trying to build a rogue deck, as these often require a lot of skill and knowledge of the metagame to be effective. Many new players are tempted to net-deck (that is copying another player's posted deck list from the Internet), which isn't a terrible thing as long as you understand how each and every card fits into the strategy, and you've practiced, which leads into my next point.

Test It!

If you think you can simply build a deck (or copy a list online) the night before, show up to a tournament, and expect to win big, think again. You're going to need a firm grasp on the strategy and how every card in your deck functions to meet that end. This only comes though practice and gaining experience. Go to your local Pokemon league and play with it. If you want, have another player look over your list and make suggestions. Play with your family and friends if you can. All in all, you want to get comfortable with your deck, so you know what you're trying to accomplish every game and adapt to what your opponents are playing.

Swap out cards that you aren't using much. If you have four copies of a card that you find yourself unable to play often, or discarding a lot, consider narrowing down to three or even two. I'm not going to go into the specifics of counts and ratios here, but I will say that you can find some great resources on this if you search around. If you'd like feedback here on PokeBeach, you can post your list in the Deck Garage forum and have other users make suggestions. You don't have to follow every piece of advice given, nor should you, but do take the time to read the feedback.

Now that you've constructed your deck, tested it, and settled into something comfortable, let's go on ahead to....

The Night Before the Tournament

Your deck is all ready to go; now you just need to get yourself ready and be there on time, all ready to play. A lot of the advice in this section is common sense, but again, some of these things are easily forgotten and can make a big difference. Also, don't be afraid to attend a big event like Regionals even if you're a new player. Even if you don't place high, you can learn a lot, and you'll have a good time regardless!

Check your deck.

By this point I'm going to assume you've tested your deck against many people and are comfortable playing it. I'm also going to assume that all the cards are legal for the format. Remember that if you make Day 2, you'll be playing in the Expanded format, and you can opt to bring a second deck (you can use your Standard legal deck in Expanded too, but you could be at a disadvantage). Look over your card sleeves for peels, creases, and scratches. If something is barely noticeable, or if all of your sleeves are equally worn, they're probably fine. However if you've any doubt, reseleeve. Remember that only plain-colored or official Pokemon Sleeves can be used for sanctioned events (Japanese sleeves are fine). You can also print out or write up your decklist(s) at home and bring them with you. This is not required, but doing it ahead of time will give you more time to schmooze with your friends when you arrive.

Register online, if applicable.

Larger events such as Regionals and Nationals, and even some small events will take registration online (you'll find a link to register on the tournament's info page on the Play! Pokemon website). For some events this may be required. Even if it isn't, many events have a maximum number of seats available, so pre-registering is a good idea. You will most likely be required to pay your registration fee online, though this isn't always the case. Also remember that you will still need to check in at the tournament even if you register online.

If the event is far away, drive out the day before and get a hotel room, or stay with friends nearby.

This isn't always possible due to time or budget issues, but if you can, try to do it. You can share a room with friends and split the cost. You won't be spending much time in the room, so four people sharing a room really isn't that bad, and is quite cost effective. You can also ride out together and split the gas money. If you have friends who leave near the tournament, you could always ask to stay at their place, but use your discretion.

Get a good night's sleep, and eat a filling breakfast.

The human body needs approximately eight hours of sleep each night for optimal performance. If you're tired the day of a tournament, you probably won't have much fun since you can't wait to jump back in bed, and you won't be at the peak of your game. The same applies for a healthy breakfast; don't skip it. Most events don't stop for a lunch break, and if you're at something big like a States or Regionals, you can reasonably expect the Swiss rounds to go until seven or eight-o'clock in the evening. You might be able to grab some food between rounds, but there's no promise.

Remember your hygiene!

Sad as it sounds, some people just don't have a habit of taking a shower every day, brushing their teeth, using deodorant, and wearing clean clothes. From one decent human being to another, I ask that you please don't be "that guy" who shows up with bad breath and covered in sweat and dirt. No one wants to play against, or sit next to someone like that. Your mother should have taught you to clean yourself up before going out in public. Most people don't care if you want to show off your five-o'clock shadow or hairy legs, so long as you don't stink.

Things to bring with you

Aside from your deck and supplies for playing the game, there's a few things to consider taking with you to the tournament. I'm speaking from the perspective of a TCG player, but some of these are universal, so there's no reason a VG player wouldn't think about bringing them along, if it's not obvious. A lot of these are optional, but definitely reccomended if you want to have a good time.

Your deck, and everything you need to play

Duh! You can't play in a tournament if you don't have your deck with you! Dont forget your dice, damage counters and coin if you use one (it's better to use dice, but that's for another article), poison/ burn markers, and a playmat if you decide to use one (reccomended). Remember that any die you use as a randomizer (coin flip) must be transparent. Also bring your Play! Pokemon ID card or number. I have my number memorized, but I also keep the card in my wallet- which is a pretty safe place for it. Parents of young children might want to hold into their kids' card though; kids do have a tendency to lose things.

Decklist

You're not required to brink a decklist with you, since you can fill one out when you arrive, but taking care of this ahead of time gives you more time to relax and chill with your friends. You'll probably have enough on your mind when you show up, so one thing out of the way can put you at ease a bit.

Extra sleeves

Even if you're the most gentle shuffler in the world, I guarentee you will accidentally break a sleeve at some point in your career. It's easiest to have extras of whatever sleeves you're using for your deck, so you only need to replace one if this happens rather than resleeve the whole deck. A judge may ask you to resleeve your entire deck following a deck check however. You might be provided with sleeves if this happens, or you might not be- it depends on the venue. You may or be not be able to purchase sleeves there, so it's best to have an extra pack with you.

Notepad and pen/pencil

Msot experienced players don't take notes on games, but for new players this can be helpful. Just don't take too long doing it, and make your notes legible in case a judge needs to read them. Notes can only be written; you can't use a phone or any other electronic device for taking notes, or at all during a match for that matter.

Your trade binder

You're going to have plenty of time between rounds, and this is a great time to chat with other players and trade cards. Trading is a great social aspect of the game, just like playing.

Good luck charms

Personally, I'm not superstitious, but I do like to pretend that I am. Thinking that a coin, a special shirt, a toy, or whatever will bring you good luck might boost your confidence and help you play better, and you'll definitely see me with some trinkets on my playmat. A lof of us do this, so don't feel ashamed.

Cash

If the event isn't held in an actual game shop (and most large events are held in hotels or convention centers), there will most likely be a vendor or vendors present selling Pokemon merchandise. Something might catch your eye. They'll probably also be selling dice, sleeves, and other supplies in case you forgot something. Some of these items could be rare or sold exclusively at events, so if you're an avid collector, you'll probably want to purchase them! You might also want to buy some refreshments during the event too. Most events will sell food in some form. What's available could vary from just soda and candy, to deli sandwiches, pizza, or hot food. You might also want to play in some side events. The venue may or may not have the equipment for taking credit/debit cards, so bring some cash, even if you paid your registration fee online!

Snacks/ Lunch from home

Remember that there will most likely not be a lunch break, so you'll have to eat at some point between rounds. You'll certainly be able to purchase some sort of food at the venue (or there could be fast food within walking distance), but bringing food from home is a good way to save money. Again, this is more of a personal preference thing. Also remember that food and drink will most likely not be allowed in the play area, and even if they are you shouldn't eat or drink during a match.

Your 3DS/ 2DS

You can pick up a lot of StreetPasses just by going to a Pokemon event and leaving your DS in sleep mode in your pocket. You might also want to swap Friend Codes with other people, or just play a little between rounds.

Conclusion

Tournaments promote a fun environment and are a great way to meet fellow Pokemon fans, but preparing for one takes some planning. Having everything you need and getting ready in advance makes the difference between having an awesome time (even if you don't do well I might add) and not having fun, or worse being unable to play. I encourage you to check out the competitive scene. You'll have fun, and might make some good friends in the process! Next time, we'll be talking about etiquette during the tournament itself, so stay tuned!

I hope you enjoyed this article on preparing for tournaments and I hope you'll keep reading future articles. Until next time, may your top decks ever be in your favor!

~My Ltitle Keldeo

Something to add under "Things to Bring with You":

For those of you superstitious people, don't leave your Lucky Charms at home! Pack your lucky coin (lol that's me), game-winning shirt, or favorite playmat so that you can feel more confident in yourself, if not flipping all heads.

Also if somebody is that new that they aren't sure what to do with a list from the internet, it might be a good idea to practice playing faster. Really liked the article. Gave me something fun to read instead of my stupid school textbooks.

Thank you for the feedback! I decided to add in the bit about lucky charms, since it is something I see often. I had thought about it, and wasn't sure how necessary it was to write about, since some people don't believe in that kind of stuff, so thanks for the encouragement!

I'll be discussing sportsmanship as a major theme in my next article on how to behave during a tournament, so keep reading! For the purpose of this, artcle I'm sticking with physical aspects, but you are absolutely right! You won't have fun if you have a negative attitude.

Back