Media Can Anyone Suggest a Killer Anime and RPG?

Friezy

Super Saiyan 3
So my exams are almost over and I'm in requirement of a really good anime series and a JRPG/RPG preferably for 3DS.

Some of my all time favorite anime series:
Dragonball
Dragonball Z
Dragonball GT (yes, I really do like it)
Air anime
Love Hina
Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
Attack on Titan
Tokyo Majin
... and I think that's pretty much it. I strongly dislike Bleach, Death Note, One Piece and Naruto and most Shonen anime for that matter.

So on this information can anyone recommend a stellar anime series?

As for JRPG/RPG, I'm really looking for one on the 3DS. I haven't played any on the console since I got it and I'm not too fussed about game mechanics or graphics, I just want a really deep and enticing story.

Some of my all time favorite JRPG/RPG:
Grandia I and II
Dragon Quest 8
Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning
White Knight Chronicles
Kingdom Hearts
And I dislike the Final Fantasy line.

It would be much appreciated if anyone could drop their 2 cents, even if they are your personal favorites and you think they deserve a look!

TokenDuelist

YGO TCG is Cheaper. Fight me.
Good to know someone else doesn't dislike GT

As for some good anime..hmm if you're into some hardcore stuff maybe check out Hellsing Ultimate?
Evangelion is a pretty good one. Not sure if you're into the whole mecha thing though but if you are, Burst Angel is also really good (heads up tho it is kind of a yuri series too )

If you like old school fighter stuff, Power Stone is amazing, and the dub isn't bad at all compared to the Japanese one. How it got aired during a kids timeslot? I will never know but talk about getting crap past the radar.

Cinesra

Aspiring Trainer
Interesting that you like DBZ and AoT, but dislike most other shonen. Both Fullmetal Alchemist series and Hunter x Hunter 2011 are generally seen as the /best/ shounen out there. I haven't seen HxH, but FMA actually has an ending and almost no filler and actual themes and whatnot, so if you don't tend to like shounen like I do, then you'll probably like these. For stuff similar to Air, Clannad, Angel Beats, Ano Hana, and Kanon come to mind. For high school comedies with real or fake supernatural stuff, Chuunibyou and Inou Battle come to mind. For stuff like Love Hina see every ecchi harem ever made. For other anime there are really too many for me to get into, but the anime room on pokemonshowdown has a pretty good recommendations list so I'll link that. I'm curious about what you don't like about Death Note, though.

TokenDuelist

YGO TCG is Cheaper. Fight me.
Interesting that you like DBZ and AoT, but dislike most other shonen. Both Fullmetal Alchemist series and Hunter x Hunter 2011 are generally seen as the /best/ shounen out there. I haven't seen HxH, but FMA actually has an ending and almost no filler and actual themes and whatnot, so if you don't tend to like shounen like I do, then you'll probably like these. For stuff similar to Air, Clannad, Angel Beats, Ano Hana, and Kanon come to mind. For high school comedies with real or fake supernatural stuff, Chuunibyou and Inou Battle come to mind. For stuff like Love Hina see every ecchi harem ever made. For other anime there are really too many for me to get into, but the anime room on pokemonshowdown has a pretty good recommendations list so I'll link that. I'm curious about what you don't like about Death Note, though.

HxH is actually very great. Whenever I marathon an anime I can barely handle like, 20 episodes but somehow found myself marathoning HxH daily.

and it has 148 episodes and like, 3 movies.

How I handled it, I don't know, but HxH is indeed amazing.

Athena

The Cooler Danchou
Advanced Member
For games:

Traditional JRPG: As someone else who has also always disliked the Final Fantasy series, I'll recommend (oddly enough) Bravely Default. It's hard to discuss the game's flaws without spoiling anything, but the game's second half is much less interesting than its first and it does have some repetition issues. However, the game is overall very fun and engaging and doesn't require lots of random encounter grinding (which is my biggest pet peeve about the FF games in general). The combat is still turn based but offers some unique mechanics, and between new combat mechanics and the class-building system, building up a good team is a lot of fun. In short, it's the first Square RPG I've enjoyed since Chrono Trigger, which also happens to be one of my all-time favourite games, so there you go. And there's a bonus, too: if you like this game, its sequel (Bravely Second) just came out in Japan last month and will likely be released internationally sometime this or next year.

Something a bit different... Strategy RPG: Fire Emblem: Awakening for the 3DS is one of the best games released on this console to date, and this isn't just me being biased because I happen to love FE. FE:A is a great introduction to the SRPG model with its transparent mechanics and user-friendliness (especially compared to some earlier games in the series), while providing a fun story with a large cast of characters to explore. The various difficulties and party/class options also provide a lot of replay value; even though it's the newest game in the series, I've already replayed it more times than I have any other previous FE game. While it does have DLC, it's actually what I would consider to be the "good" kind of DLC, offering access to additional side levels to play and some extra bonuses that can be replayed over and over, either for fun or fun challenge. If you're completely new to Fire Emblem, the spoiler below has an introduction to the series that I actually wrote for my on-going playthrough that gives some very basic information. Once again, if you like this game, the next game in the series is in the works and is slated to be released in Japan next month with an international release date of sometime 2016.

fgfG7by.png

Fire Emblem is a turn-based strategy RPG made by Intelligent Systems and Nintendo. It's been around since the days of the original NES back in Japan, though it was first brought over to the Western world with the 7th game which was released on the GBA. The games take place in many different worlds, but all of them are similar to fairly standard western fantasy worlds, with knights, kingdoms, and magic. Typically, there will be a main "Lord" character who is the Main Character for a given game, and the rest of the units comprise a small, personal army of his for achieving some purpose, usually a destruction of some kind of evil being.

Where Fire Emblem really shines as a series is its mechanics. The player (either as a complete 4th wall entity or via an in-game character avatar) must guide the Lord and his units to victory by achieving certain objectives. Different characters in the game have various classes, and therefore strengths and weaknesses, that can be used to maximum benefit. The main difference between FE and a more traditional JRPG is that the party size is much larger, and the game is broken up into chapters where each chapter is one large battle. Within the battle, there are many enemies on the field, and individual combats are more simplified, with a single character attacking a certain enemy at a given time. Often, characters who die in combat are permanently dead and may not join again in later chapters, so you really need to develop good tactics and keep your team alive!

If you'd like to learn more about Fire Emblem or discuss the series, we have a thread for that here in PokéBeach's Long Term Topics section.

For anime, my standard recommendation for everyone who has never seen it is Gurren Lagann because it is amazing. But I'm so out of the loop on anime (and rather picky to boot), that I wouldn't know what else to recommend that isn't from the 80s/90s or so.

Chaos Jackal

Legend of the Past
I'll stick with Cinesra there, if you like AoT and DBZ (how can someone like any DBZ over Death Note is beyond me, but tastes I guess), try HxH 2011 and FMA/FMA:B. They are probably the best shounen out there, and I think you're gonna enjoy at least one of them, even if you aren't much of a shounen fan.

Hellsing Ultimate is also one hell of an anime (no pun intended) to watch, a real killer as you put it. It may not be the best in terms of plot, but at least it has one, and it has some pretty good characters, great animation and amazing action scenes.

I'll also suggest Code Geass. Again, I know you're not into shounen, but Code Geass is my personal favorite and I can't help but suggesting it to everyone who has ever asked me. If you can handle the mecha element (which isn't really prominent anyway), then I believe you'll like it. Not going into more details, because I'm gonna sound biased.

SotS

Cycling the Stress Away
Persona 4 Golden is a killer game No, no, I'm sorry. Bad puns.

In no order,

[Action RPG] Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance is fun, though finding it these days may be difficult. It's the same dumb story you'd expect with the same battle system you loved tweaked just enough to be new.

["Turn"(?)-Based RPG] Bravely Default gets a lot of praise (minus unfortunate pacing problems), but I've never played it myself so I can't say much else on it.

[Pseudo-Action RPG] Tales of the Abyss was pretty good when I played it back in 2012. The story didn't stick with me nearly as much as the characters, but I remember being interested in what was going on while playing.

[Tabletop-Esque RPG] Etrian Odyssey IV is an excellent "traditional" RPG. There isn't really a story to speak of, but if you like the idea of an old pen-and-paper RPG in video game form this is for you. Continuing with this suggestion, Persona Q is an excellent gateway into learning the ropes of the Etrian Odyssey series (and the music will forever be in your head).

[First-Person Dungeon RPG] Shin Megami Tensei IV is another Bravely Default; lots of praise, never played it. Story is supposed to be good.

[Strategy RPG] Fire Emblem Awakening gets a place on the list, but read Athena's post for a better worded reason on why you should play it.

[MMO-Like RPG]Finally, if you have the New 3DS, Xenoblade Chronicles 3D is excellent. A sprawling story that will stick with you due to it's concrete beginning and closure.

I would love to give you a definite list with a best to worst format, but the titles are all completely different. I'd suggest giving them all a fair look.

NintendoAlian

Frontier Brain
I always recommend this show to anyone when I get the chance, but Sword Art Online. It's a great show and even better, it's about a video game. If you have Netflix, season 1 is on there. Also, you can find English subs all around the Internet.

GrandPanacea

Thread Necromancer
Advanced Member
Using JRPG Necromancy skills, I revive yet another thread.

I'll list my top ten anime, and I'll write a summary of a couple of them.

1. Baccano! [Action, Crime, Mafia, Supernatural]
Baccano! is a high speed action series revolving around a couple of crime families from 1930s New York, a rag tag group of bootleggers, some good-for-nothing trash, oh, and some alchemists! The series has three timelines that are concurrent to the viewer, and it jumps back and forth like nobody's business. It can be a bit confusing at first, but it's totally worth it. Highly recommended to watch it all at once, or close together, because it does get confusing if you go too long between episodes.

2. Death Parade [Game, Thriller, Psychological, Drama]
Death Parade is... Very dark. Basically, it's purgatory. Our main character greets guests in a bar, and through a game, determines if they go to Heaven or Hell. I should note, it's exceedingly dark. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone younger than 16.

3. Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
4. Psycho-Pass (both seasons)
5. Cowboy Bebop
6. KILL la KILL
7. Puella Magi Madoka Magica
8. 91 Days
9. Trigun
10. Humanity Has Declined

Other favourites include:

Terror in Resonance, Another, No.6, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Free!, Heaven's Memo Pad, Senyuu., Ghost Hound, Soul Eater, Boogiepop Phantom, C: The Money of Soul and Possibility Control, FLCL, Space Dandy, Susei no Gargantia, Dimension W, Haibane Renmei, Durarara!!, Drifters S1, Yuri!!! on Ice S1

olivasds

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
Some favorite animes off the top of my head:

-Is it wrong to hit on a girl in a dungeon
-Sword Art Online
-The girl who lept through time

NinJamezor

We love Huntail
Right now, the one Anime i can recommend and the only anime I am watching is JoJo's Bizarre Adventures.

WastedSkyPirate

I haven't watched anime in a long time but the ones prominent in my memory are Cowboy Bebop, Neon Genesis Evangelion and Afro Samurai!

teh awesome mudkipz

the dankest mudkip
I suggest Earthbound (for snes, but there's virtual console for new nintendo 3ds and wii u). It has a great story line, dank gameplay, and a lot of comedy.

Haunted Water

DEFT Lunar
As for anime, I have in my collection Kaze no Stigma. Its from FUNimation and its about magic users living in modern society and the wars between different clans. The main character (whose name escapes me) is a powerful wind magic user and spends his time taking odd jobs for different people, typically from his old family clan. It has two seasons.

And then there is Elfen Lied, which is for a much more mature audience, but if you want to feel every known emotion to human beings, watch it.

Pikachu6319

Scooby
Game wise I'd suggest Tales of Symphonia. Not sure what to say anime wise, you seem to have watched more than me lol.