• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Buzzwole GX Rush (Anti-Evo Deck)

GymLdrJesse

Twitter/X @JessePrker
Advanced Member
I'm excited for Buzzwole GX. I don't know how it will fare against top tier decks, but I really want it to do well because outside of Lycanroc, which only sees a little play, I feel like we haven't had a solid Fighting-type deck in awhile.

I would run Rainbow Energy over Psychic Energy. Buzzwole has no colorless energy requirements for any of it's attacks so if you start with a Buzzwole and only have Psychic Energy in your hand, the Energy is useless. So I'd recommend switching the Psychic to Rainbow and then replace the Professor's Letter with a Special Charge.
I thought about this but the downside would be you are super weak to special energy removal. I guess its not super popular so we could get away with all the special energy.

GymLdrJesse

Twitter/X @JessePrker
Advanced Member
Personally, Silvally GX offers "little" value to Buzzhole GX (as the featured attacker), IMO. Although Silvally GX offers 0 Retreat Cost to your Basic Pokémon, it would be "costly" (Memory Tool, 3 attached energy, etc.) to use it as a potential attacker; and its Ability to provide 0 Retreat Cost to your Basic Pokémon can be nullified. It's also a Stage 1 Pokémon... IMO, there are other "higher priority" cards I would choose over Silvally GX.

3. I responded to your PM regarding my thoughts about Parallel City - IMO, a fantastic Stadium.
4. I'd definitely run Garbodor and Zygarde EX in a deck with Buzzhole GX. However, Carbink BREAK lost a lot of its "value," since there are much fewer players running EX Pokémon that could be "walled" with Carbink's Safeguard Ability. Further, its an easy KO prize, and Special Charge can be used, if need be, to recover and recycle discarded F and Strong energy. I would not run Carbink at all in my Buzzhole GX deck.

Following is my initial deck draft:

Pokémon (16)
4 Buzzhole GX
2 Garbodor (BKP)
2 Garbodor (SUM)
2 Tapu LeLe GX
4 Trubbish
2 Zygarde EX

Trainers (32)
1 Acerola
1 Brigette
1 Energy Retrieval / Professor's Letter
2 Field Blower
3 Fighting Fury Belt
3 Float Stone
3 Guzma
1 Judge / Shauna
1 Max Potion
3 N
1 Olympia
3 Parallel City
4 Professor Sycamore
1 Super Rod
4 Ultra Ball

Energy (12)
5 Fighting
3 Psychic
4 Strong

My Strategy:
Attack initally with Buzzhole GX till the field is set for 1HKOs or even multiple 1HKOs.

Other cards to consider for inclusion:
Expeon EX - perhaps more of a meta call
Delinquent - for opponent's hand disruption
Special Charge - to recover and recycle discarded Special energy

Comments about certain cards selected:
Garbodor (BKT) - nullifies Abilities, especially Ninetales, which so many decks are dependent upon
Garbodor (SUM) - 1-prize target, strong 1-energy attacker and provides some protection for the Buzzwole GXs
Zygarde EX - another solid, strong 1-energy, secondary attacker with a different Weakness than Buzzwole GX

Energy Retrieval (or Professor's Letter) - there will be times when you'll need a specific energy type; so, this Item can facilitate getting what you exactly need

Judge (or Shauna) - personal preference not to ever run 4 Ns in a deck since 1 of them will unfortunately help my opponent too. This can also be disruptive when played at T1 (if going first and you have no better option)

Parallel City - to limit my opponent's bench size and/or remove unwanted/unneeded Pokémon from my bench
I think the item/supporter techs will be personal preference. We will have to wait and play the deck to see what it will run best with.
Side note- you calling Buzzwole "Buzzhole" is making me laugh. xD

CaptZero

Aspiring Trainer
Personally, Silvally GX offers "little" value to Buzzwole GX (as the featured attacker), IMO. Although Silvally GX offers 0 Retreat Cost to your Basic Pokémon, it would be "costly" (Memory Tool, 3 attached energy, etc.) to use it as a potential attacker; and its Ability to provide 0 Retreat Cost to your Basic Pokémon can be nullified. It's also a Stage 1 Pokémon... IMO, there are other "higher priority" cards I would choose over Silvally GX.

Garbodor is also a stage 1, and I personally feel that the utility of free retreat isn't something to be overlooked with Buzzwole GX. I feel like the way to go about this deck is to have one Buzzwole up in the active Jet Punching away while you Max Elixir another on the bench. Once the benched one has 2 energy you switch them and Muliswitch the Strong energy back up the the active, potentially using Accerola to put your first Buzzwole back in your hand.

I find it curious that you mention the potential of Silvally's ability being shut off, whereas I don't see that to be an issue at all. You have a few major decks that play Garbotoxin, which is the only ability lock we have right now. In Espeon/ Garb Buzzwole should never see the light of day. You should be focused on Silvally and Silvally alone, as Silvally can one shot Espeon GX with Psychic Memory while also prepping the bench. In Drampa/ Garb Buzzwole GX is a huge threat to Drampa GX. With one Strong Energy, Choice Band, and Regirock EX on the bench Jet Punch OHKOs Drampa. From there you can play a very slow game and avoid using your items which picking away at the bench. I can see Golisopod/ Garb as being a threat to Buzzwole simply because it has the potential to OHKO Buzzwole GX before you start getting into the swing of things. It's made worse by the fact that Buzzwole can't one shot Wimpod for a single energy.

TuxedoBlack

Old School Player
Garbodor is also a stage 1, and I personally feel that the utility of free retreat isn't something to be overlooked with Buzzwole GX. I feel like the way to go about this deck is to have one Buzzwole up in the active Jet Punching away while you Max Elixir another on the bench. Once the benched one has 2 energy you switch them and Muliswitch the Strong energy back up the the active, potentially using Accerola to put your first Buzzwole back in your hand.

I find it curious that you mention the potential of Silvally's ability being shut off, whereas I don't see that to be an issue at all. You have a few major decks that play Garbotoxin, which is the only ability lock we have right now. In Espeon/ Garb Buzzwole should never see the light of day. You should be focused on Silvally and Silvally alone, as Silvally can one shot Espeon GX with Psychic Memory while also prepping the bench. In Drampa/ Garb Buzzwole GX is a huge threat to Drampa GX. With one Strong Energy, Choice Band, and Regirock EX on the bench Jet Punch OHKOs Drampa. From there you can play a very slow game and avoid using your items which picking away at the bench. I can see Golisopod/ Garb as being a threat to Buzzwole simply because it has the potential to OHKO Buzzwole GX before you start getting into the swing of things. It's made worse by the fact that Buzzwole can't one shot Wimpod for a single energy.
Just to restate, my initial comments regarding the OP's deck list was founded upon his deck having a Ninetales counter. So, Garbodor was the suggested counter to that designated Pokémon. Further, in my initial deck list posted, I chose to again combo Buzzwole GX with Garbodor for my early testing. I like Garbodor primarily for my area's particular metagame.

I also stated later in this Thread that should one want to combo Buzzwole GX with Silvally GX, the OP's deck list (at that time), as well as mine, would both need to be overhauled specifically for that combo; and, no doubt, there would not be a need for the Garbodor line at all.

Lastly, given most of the "top" decks run evolution Pokémon, should Espeon EX and/or Necrozma GX be a staple in the deck (whichever Buzzwole GX variant one runs)?

gumball51321

*thumbs up*
First of all thank you for all the great criticism on this list. I have everyone telling me at my league that buzzwole is not going to be good but I have high hopes.
Whoever told you that Buzzwole isn't good is bad. Landorus-EX was BDIF in the BCR-on format, until Archiestoise came around, and that matchup was still decent. Buzzwole has more HP, and better second attack, and a GX attack. The only negative thing about it is its psychic weakness, but what Psychic type is going to be doing 100 damage to this? Garb has nothing on a Pokemon that swings for 60+ for a single Energy since you don't need to dig to set up, Espeon can't OHKO you unless they have a Choice Band, and although that probably WILL be the case, you can simply not bench Buzzwole, and if you start it, then you just do your thing until you switch, or it dies. I'm thinking of how to run this deck myself, but I haven't came up with a concept yet. I will probably just play a similar variant to Landorus/ Garb that was popular when FUF was first printed. Although, we don't currently have a strong, one-prize attacker like Hawlucha :rolleyes:. I highly doubt Silvally will be "the partner" that Buzzwole has the best synergy with, but I also think the same of Carbink. I suppose Trashalanche will be an OK one-prizer, since the deck already plays Garbotoxin, but IDK. Also, don't play psychic, play 4 Rainbow, and add a Shining Jirachi. I think it's better than Espeon-EX in here because you'd rather be doing damage the whole game, and with all of your 2-prize attackers(other than Garb), yielding 1 prize is a little bonus. Also being a Brigette target helps, especially if you want your opponent to know you have it. This means that they will have to play perfectly with no room for misplays, which means misplays will come more often when you're attacking them, since if they don't draw exactly what they need and the pressure gets to them, you can do exactly what they were trying to avoid- you taking prizes.

GymLdrJesse

Twitter/X @JessePrker
Advanced Member
Whoever told you that Buzzwole isn't good is bad. Landorus-EX was BDIF in the BCR-on format, until Archiestoise came around, and that matchup was still decent. Buzzwole has more HP, and better second attack, and a GX attack. The only negative thing about it is its psychic weakness, but what Psychic type is going to be doing 100 damage to this? Garb has nothing on a Pokemon that swings for 60+ for a single Energy since you don't need to dig to set up, Espeon can't OHKO you unless they have a Choice Band, and although that probably WILL be the case, you can simply not bench Buzzwole, and if you start it, then you just do your thing until you switch, or it dies. I'm thinking of how to run this deck myself, but I haven't came up with a concept yet. I will probably just play a similar variant to Landorus/ Garb that was popular when FUF was first printed. Although, we don't currently have a strong, one-prize attacker like Hawlucha :rolleyes:. I highly doubt Silvally will be "the partner" that Buzzwole has the best synergy with, but I also think the same of Carbink. I suppose Trashalanche will be an OK one-prizer, since the deck already plays Garbotoxin, but IDK. Also, don't play psychic, play 4 Rainbow, and add a Shining Jirachi. I think it's better than Espeon-EX in here because you'd rather be doing damage the whole game, and with all of your 2-prize attackers(other than Garb), yielding 1 prize is a little bonus. Also being a Brigette target helps, especially if you want your opponent to know you have it. This means that they will have to play perfectly with no room for misplays, which means misplays will come more often when you're attacking them, since if they don't draw exactly what they need and the pressure gets to them, you can do exactly what they were trying to avoid- you taking prizes.
Yeah we will just have to wait and see what works better with Buzzwole.

CaptZero

Aspiring Trainer
Just to restate, my initial comments regarding the OP's deck list was founded upon his deck having a Ninetales counter. So, Garbodor was the suggested counter to that designated Pokémon. Further, in my initial deck list posted, I chose to again combo Buzzwole GX with Garbodor for my early testing. I like Garbodor primarily for my area's particular metagame.

I also stated later in this Thread that should one want to combo Buzzwole GX with Silvally GX, the OP's deck list (at that time), as well as mine, would both need to be overhauled specifically for that combo; and, no doubt, there would not be a need for the Garbodor line at all.

Lastly, given most of the "top" decks run evolution Pokémon, should Espeon EX and/or Necrozma GX be a staple in the deck (whichever Buzzwole GX variant one runs)?

Just noting that's it not as though I don't see Garb as a pokemon with merits in a Buzzwole deck, though I agree with others who've pointed out that Rainbow is the way to go. One of the biggest issues I have personally with that is just the sheer amount of of energy you're now playing. You could go a 4/4/4 like Golisopod, but 2/3rds of your energy is special energy.

I agree that Espeon EX/ Necrozma GX have a ton of potential in this current meta but if I'm going to go for sniping/ devolution I'd probably rather play Ninetales GX. What Buzzwole does well isn't just sniping and setting up for a massive board wipe. He punches holes into these beefy stage 2 decks and challenges you to burn Max Potions and Acerola on 30 damage because that's all he needs to swoop in later for a big knockout on most of the meta. And maybe it's just personal preference but I'd much rather be taking those two prize trades than investing a ton into bruising the board in the hopes of a game winning Espeon EX attack.

Whatever the case is I really want to test this Buzzwole idea out. I think he's one of the gems of this set.

TuxedoBlack

Old School Player
Whoever told you that Buzzwole isn't good is bad. Landorus-EX was BDIF in the BCR-on format, until Archiestoise came around, and that matchup was still decent.
Back then, I ran a "Big Basics with Garbodor" deck featuring Landorus EX and made it to the T4 in 2 different State tournaments running that deck - in which I had to beat Blastoise-Keldeo (in the T8). The deck then, and hopefully Buzzwole GX now will be great too.

...What Buzzwole does well isn't just sniping and setting up for a massive board wipe. He punches holes into these beefy stage 2 decks and challenges you to burn Max Potions and Acerola on 30 damage because that's all he needs to swoop in later for a big knockout on most of the meta. And maybe it's just personal preference but I'd much rather be taking those two prize trades than investing a ton into bruising the board in the hopes of a game winning Espeon EX attack.

Whatever the case is I really want to test this Buzzwole idea out. I think he's one of the gems of this set.
Agreed.

electivre418

Aspiring Trainer
What does everyone think about Crabominable as Buzzwole's partner? You could run brooklet hills along with acerola and max potion to soften up pokemon with Buzzwole and go for KOs with the crab.

Vitiel

Mush. Up!
To be fair wrt the talks of Landorus EX's success, it also had support like Korrina and Fighting Stadium in the later part of its standard life.

CaptZero

Aspiring Trainer
To be fair wrt the talks of Landorus EX's success, it also had support like Korrina and Fighting Stadium in the later part of its standard life.

It was really good before those things though. It just got way better after Korrina and Fighting Stadium (and bats... LandoBats was my favorite deck)

Vitiel

Mush. Up!
It was really good before those things though. It just got way better after Korrina and Fighting Stadium (and bats... LandoBats was my favorite deck)
Yeah, it definitely was, but will it be able to keep up without those luxuries when we have 210+ HP GXes?

CaptZero

Aspiring Trainer
Yeah, it definitely was, but will it be able to keep up without those luxuries when we have 210+ HP GXes?

To be fair on of the reason Lando wouldn't be able to keep up is that to do any big OHKO damage you need to get rid of all of your energies. Buzzwole doesn't have that problem, and it's other "problem" of only being able to attack every other turn is easily patched with Silvally GX.

Blooroo22

Aspiring Trainer
Have you considered Lycanroc Midnight form GX as a partner? It's ability would be amazing as a pure Lysandre effect to knockout something hiding on the bench.

gumball51321

*thumbs up*
Have you considered Lycanroc Midnight form GX as a partner? It's ability would be amazing as a pure Lysandre effect to knockout something hiding on the bench.
I don't think it's been considered yet, but yes, this could be one of the better partners for Buzzwole. However, Zygarde has the same weakness, and Lycanroc requires more Energy to attack. I guess it wouldn't be too much trouble to play 2-3 DCE, since you could also attack with Lele, but I don't know. I'm tired as of posting this, so I don't have any ideas for now.

1ronhead

Aspiring Trainer
My suggestion:
If you are going to pair Buzzwole with Zygarde, I would recommend a thinner garb line (probably 2-2 with only garbodoxin). Also, po town is definitely a better stadium (preferably 4).

Some other possible changes:
3-4 fury belt
no rainbow, use fighting energy instead
3-4 acerola
espeon ex, for sure

My list for the Zygarde version:
****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 13

* 3 Buzzwole-GX CIN 104
* 2 Zygarde-EX FCO 54
* 1 Espeon-EX BKP 117
* 3 Tapu Lele-GX GRI 137
* 2 Trubbish BKP 56
* 2 Garbodor BKP 57

##Trainer Cards - 36

* 4 Professor Sycamore STS 114
* 4 Fighting Fury Belt BKP 99
* 1 Rescue Stretcher BUS 165
* 3 Acerola BUS 142
* 3 N FCO 105
* 1 Lillie SUM 147
* 4 Po Town BUS 121
* 1 Pokémon Fan Club FLF 106
* 4 Ultra Ball SUM 161
* 4 Float Stone BKT 137
* 4 Guzma BUS 143
* 1 Field Blower GRI 163
* 2 Enhanced Hammer GRI 162

##Energy - 11

* 4 Strong Energy FCO 115
* 7 Fighting Energy GRI 169

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

I hope this would help.

GymLdrJesse

Twitter/X @JessePrker
Advanced Member
For a stadium mabye brooklet hill? But paralell city does seem like a better option
I have been testing Po Town and it seems like the best bet at the moment with all the stage 2 decks. It even helps put free 30 dmg on stage 1 decks.