Best Phone Networks for the Price?

Shining Raikou

Your friendly neighborhood Raikou fan!
Elite Member
Advanced Member
I'm looking to switch phone companies once my contract is up. Looking for a good family plan for 3 phones and something that won't drop and fizzle out on me everywhere. Having the iPhone would be a plus, as I'm looking to switch from my older Android phone. Additionally, if it helps, I'll mostly be using the phone in Michigan.

I currently have Verizon, and while I am content with it we are getting charged more and more lately for the service. If your experience has been good OR bad with a carrier, I'd like to hear it. I am just wondering what other options I should consider or avoid completely.

Thanks! :)

RE: Best Phone Network for the Price?

Well it would depend heavily on how much data you would be expecting to use. Would you prefer unlimited or a set amount?

Been with U.S. Cellular for going on three years now and they haven't steered me wrong yet.

T-Mobile. For 70 dollars per month no contract, you can get a SIM card there that fits your device and get relatively quick data (around 10 mbps/s at the peak, I believe).

The downside is that T-Mo doesn't have the best coverage at all. Most of their coverage is 2G data (which is really slow). If you're used to Verizon coverage, you'll probably be disappointed.

If you use this, you're going to want a phone that is cheap. I recommend the Nexus 4. It's $350 unlocked and works on T-Mo's network. It's the best phone out there right now, with the best software experience on any device- completely smooth stock Android. You also get Android updates extremely quickly.

If you really want an iPhone though, (which I don't really recommend) you should get it on contract, because iPhones are really expensive unlocked.

Verizon really is the best option in the US, though. It's more expensive, but it offers LTE pretty much everywhere you go- meaning 30 mbps/s download speeds wherever you go. And most older Android models sucked, to be honest. If your service is "fizzling out," it's probably the phone's fault. :p

tl;dr- T-Mobile pay as you go plans are cheapest, but coverage isn't stellar. Verizon is the best option (with a better phone) but it's definitely not the cheapest.

PMJ said:
Been with U.S. Cellular for going on three years now and they haven't steered me wrong yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEMimY0HyUk
I was with them First. You must change.

For lower rates try http://www.net10wireless.com/#/advantages

Whatever you do, just don't switch to AT&T. The only reason I'm still with them is because my whole family gets a great deal on an old unlimited plan that they don't offer anymore. I've been with them for 7+ years now and I feel like the cell reception + customer service has only declined. I get dropped calls/poor reception all the time and in places where it shouldn't even be happening. I'm not sure about their actual rates but even if it's cheaper I wouldn't go with them.

I'm sure you already know all of this, but definitely get a nice case for your iPhone if you go that route. That is definitely a phone that will drop and shatter on ya! I drop mine daily....idk how the screen hasn't shattered yet, lol.

Tsoliades said:
T-Mobile. For 70 dollars per month no contract, you can get a SIM card there that fits your device and get relatively quick data (around 10 mbps/s at the peak, I believe).

The downside is that T-Mo doesn't have the best coverage at all. Most of their coverage is 2G data (which is really slow). If you're used to Verizon coverage, you'll probably be disappointed.

Didn't really like there service either. Kept saying they'd get the problem fixed in a weeks time, but took a month instead. And Tsolidaes is right, they have, probably, one of the worst coverage maps. Verizon I think has the most, but you said you don't want to go back to them.

Try Boost Mobile, they have good coverage and plans, very cheap, and good prepaid service. They have these shrinking plans, they can make what you pay each month smaller, from 50 to 35, if you pay on time. Quote: "With every 6 on-time payments we take $5 off your monthly payment!" I can't find a family plan though. You'll have to get the shrinking payment plans, so for a family of 3, it would end up around $105 per month.

Check it out: http://www.boostmobile.com/why-boost/us-vs-them/

Thanks for the details guys.

Can anyone tell me about Sprint's service by chance?

Rusty Sticks said:
Well it would depend heavily on how much data you would be expecting to use. Would you prefer unlimited or a set amount?

Preferably unlimited.

I currently have a Galaxy S2 on Sprint. The phone is wonderful with Cyanogenmod 10.1 and a custom kernel, but I'm not that thrilled with the network.

Their network coverage is slightly better than T-Mobile, but it's pretty slow in comparison to other networks. Their WiMax 4G is considerably slower than the competition. I usually peak at about 5 mbps/s. Don't even bother with their LTE, they've only launched it in select areas in only 16 states. They haven't even started in Michigan yet.

All of their new phones only have their LTE, so if you want a good phone and even relatively good speeds, don't bother with Sprint.

I didn't care for Sprint's network when I had it. Dropped calls and poor coverage were common, and I lived in a heavily populated area.

Back