Discussion Best Expanded 2017 Decks

TheSceptileMaster

Gastrodon ate my cake
What do you guy (and gals) think the best decks for 2017 Expanded are currently? Specifically, for the Philadelphia regionals coming up (also if your are going, can you say that too)
I feel Greninja/Talonflame, Volcanion, and Raikou/Elektrik is good currently.

2017 has a lot of good decks for both Standard and Expanded, and now I feel there is going to be a whole lot of Volcanion in my area, so I pick Greninja, but the only problem I HAD ( notice that I said 'had' ) a problem with the trash bags himself GARBORDOR... and with Startling Megaphone rotated out it seems that y be played in Expanded, until I saw him!

upload_2016-10-9_19-36-30.jpeg
Greninja has hope...

I fell that Greninja will be played sometime soon...

and also I'm not going to Pennsylvania Regionals, but I will go to Georgia Regionals in January.

My daughter and I will both be in Philly! It's about a 4 hour drive for us, so we wouldn't miss it - we're finalizing travel plans now. :)

While I see Volcanion's power in Standard, I don't see how it could be any good in Expanded. Other than playing a couple Blacksmith, it still auto loses to Seismatoad Variants and Greninja, both of which should see tons of play in Philly I think. Of course, I never thought it'd do well at worlds so what the heck do I know lol.

With Karen legal, Greninja and Trevenant will slide into the spots previously occupied by Night March and Vespi variants. After a poor showing in Arizona, I think Dark will perform well as an underdog (hopefully, because that's what I'm playing haha).

Ninja Boy/Plume Box will be everywhere, god help us.

I hope anything Eels sees a lot of play because it's such a cool, fun deck basis.

Other decks I think will see a lot of play and play well: Rainbow Road, M Mewtwo (now that pumpkaboo will be gone), Mega Ray, Genesect/Virizion, Mega Man, and maybe Metal Box. I'm still newish to the game, so I'm probably missing a lot. :)

I'm going to the Philly regional, too! Like stated above, I think Trev will be a good deck since it can add Karen to be an even bigger pain. Although, I do feel like the play might be Yveltal. I'm not sure how big Toad will be, although I'm expecting a fair showing of it. Watch out, though, I feel Blastoise getting a boost because of Karen as well!

I think the field in expanded is too diverse to so easily predict as many more cards and strategies are available in expanded. Things like Yveltal Maxie's, toad manectric laser bats, rainbow road with ho-oh ex, trevenant break, vileplume boxes, mega manectric, mega rayquaza, and raikou eels are definitely some of the popular ones or common ones to see. I'm sure I'm missing a lot of other contenders.

Karen I think is a good reason to not play night March, vespiquen or flareon. A lot of people will find room for a Karen for a desire to use it on decks they have long hated.

The field is too wide to pin down any singular deck as the most likely to win by a substantial margin, but if I had to give predictions for the most likely candidates for Top Cut in Pennsylvania, they would be:

• Greninja BREAK, but only if ability/evolution lock isn't a common issue.
  • Trevenant Item Lock, since so many decks in Expanded use items to a high degree in the first place.
  • Vileplume Item Lock, which I will be rooting doubly for if it's running either Fighting attackers or Jolteon-EX / Glaceon-EX with either deck running Rock Guard.
  • Volcanion, since having Steam Up + Blacksmith gives Fire types a lot of power to toss around.
  • Rainbow Road, but only if there's not a lot of Parallel City.
These are my picks, anyway.

The field is too wide to pin down any singular deck as the most likely to win by a substantial margin, but if I had to give predictions for the most likely candidates for Top Cut in Pennsylvania, they would be:

• Greninja BREAK, but only if ability/evolution lock isn't a common issue.
  • Trevenant Item Lock, since so many decks in Expanded use items to a high degree in the first place.
  • Vileplume Item Lock, which I will be rooting doubly for if it's running either Fighting attackers or Jolteon-EX / Glaceon-EX with either deck running Rock Guard.
  • Volcanion, since having Steam Up + Blacksmith gives Fire types a lot of power to toss around.
  • Rainbow Road, but only if there's not a lot of Parallel City.
These are my picks, anyway.
No Yveltal?

I'm going to play rainbow road/ho-oh.
Not because I think I will do well, but because it is fun to play.
I'm hoping that dark will have a large showing because I have a very good matchup against dark

No Yveltal?

No Yveltal on this list. It may have its tools such as Dark Patch, Maxie's Gallade/Archeops, and Max Elixir, but I find that Yveltal often lacks in power that it could call its own. While Yveltal-EX tries so hard to build enough Energy to use Evil Ball effectively, you already have several decks that can destroy what means it has for Energy acceleration and several more that deal as much damage as Yveltal, if not more, for less investment and a smaller risk of losing Prize cards. You could take a more disruptive angle by using Pokemon such as Garbodor in it, but by this point, you might as well be using Darkrai-EX. It can accelerate more Energy at a smaller risk, and its momentum is not as easy to diffuse since Darkrai-EX isn't the one that needs to hold the Energy for it to be powered up. At this point, Yveltal is obsolete.

I hope to see you there ;) also, I'm gonna be running Vileplume toolbox, it's a good matchup because, Trev EX as a card to use against greninja, vileplume and Jolteon for Night march, etc.

No Yveltal on this list. It may have its tools such as Dark Patch, Maxie's Gallade/Archeops, and Max Elixir, but I find that Yveltal often lacks in power that it could call its own. While Yveltal-EX tries so hard to build enough Energy to use Evil Ball effectively, you already have several decks that can destroy what means it has for Energy acceleration and several more that deal as much damage as Yveltal, if not more, for less investment and a smaller risk of losing Prize cards. You could take a more disruptive angle by using Pokemon such as Garbodor in it, but by this point, you might as well be using Darkrai-EX. It can accelerate more Energy at a smaller risk, and its momentum is not as easy to diffuse since Darkrai-EX isn't the one that needs to hold the Energy for it to be powered up. At this point, Yveltal is obsolete.
You underestimate the dark side of the force.

I think an underestimated deck for expanded is Raichu/Yanmega as it has access to cards such as Head Ringer, Muscle Band/Silver Bangle, Sacred Ash and Colress - Raichu has a great match up against Yveltal (hit for weakness) and also Seismatoad (Yanmega hits for weakness and can OHKO with a tool attached to Toad)

Back