'Battle Style' is March's Set, Introduces New Single Strike and Rapid Strike Cards!

JustInBasil

Grass-Type Gym Leader
News Staff
I love that Houndoom, but I have to chuckle at the set's symbol. It's like someone took Darkness Ablaze's set symbol and slapped a line on the bottom.

Macke

Master of deckbuilding
I can’t wait to se Urshifu get bossed up and KO:d by Zacian for 3 prices!

JakeTheGearHeart

Aspiring Trainer
An interesting thing to note is that the Urshifu's name is Rapid Strike Urshifu V but the Houndoom is simply named Houndoom. The "Rapid Strike" in the name distinguishes specifically Urshifu Vs so when we get the Urshifu VMAXs, they almost certainly won't evolve from the same base V (ie, this Urshifu will only evolve into the water VMAX and we'll get another Urshifu V that will evolve into the dark VMAX).

Hongo

Aspiring Trainer
Kinda wish they would put the identifiers at the bottom of the cards, only because it overlaps and eats into the art. That always bugged me with Ultra Beast cards. Just doesn’t look very uniform.

Yaginku

H-on Will Save Pokemon
It's a nice, albeit pretty simplistic "label" mechanic. I don't think it has a potential to "fix the format, but it's surely welcome.

magikarp ex

wouldn't you like to know.....
Ooh, I wonder if the set's Charizard will be Single or Rapid? Maybe they'll just print one of each? ‍♂️

runegate12

Aspiring Trainer
These new battle styles are cool and all but I'm so glad that we are getting a normal sized set for once!

JustInBasil

Grass-Type Gym Leader
News Staff
Ooh, I wonder if the set's Charizard will be Single or Rapid? Maybe they'll just print one of each? ‍♂️

Makes sense! I think they'll even have a unique Battle Style just for Charizard. They'll call it "Charizard Style"!

That way they squeeze three into the same set!

Awesum James

Aspiring Trainer
So, I'm definitely curious to see how this works, especially if it plays out for quite a while and isn't like 2-3 set mechanic.

OU7C4ST

Aspiring Trainer
News Staff
Extremely interested to see how well balanced the meta will become with TPCi's hopes that players will focus on only one battle style for their deck.

Nyora

A Cat
I'm always a fan of new cards working together more closely than normal, but to simply have these cards be yet another "team with a theme" card is just kinda underwhelming :/

Animegamer420

Aspiring Trainer
This just seems like theyre making more card combos incompatible which will result in everyone using the same decks even more than they already do.
I feel this is more of a gimmick mechanic. I liked GX moves because they were special. This is very boring compared to Level x and Legend cards. Or even megas. But its nice that its for all types of cards and not just V cards

Falling Skies

The Traveler
So it's Ultra Beasts, which was Plasma, which was SP, which was Delta, which was Magma/Aqua's, which was Light/Dark, which was Gym Leader's Pokemon.

Shame it's not something actually new and it probably won't compete with broken ADP but at least it's something.

Flygonite

Meta/budget player
As long as we get something that pushes the stupid ADP out of the format I will be happy. That card should be banned, it literally drained all the fun of the game for me.

Oddish22

Aspiring Trainer
Not too bad, but I'd prefer it not to last longer than ~3 main sets.
Look at the Urshifu card:
"VMAX, Single Strike Urshifu VMAX HP330
Evolves from Single Strike Urshifu V
Gigantamax Single Strike"

It's as much text up there as for the attack text.
So it's not like I dislike the mechanic, but having the cards' top clustered with so many words in different fonts and colours is not so pleasant-looking.

MilesEX

Aspiring Trainer
So do we know what sets make up this March set other than the two January Japanese sets?

So far from what I can tell ...

1. Urshifu V Rapid Strike
2. Urshifu V Single Strike
3. Empoleon V
4. Tyranitar V
5. Blaziken V? (I thought I read that somewhere)

1. Single-Strike Urshifu VMAX
2. Rapid-Stike Urshifu VMAX

Some other Pokemon in the trailer, Zeraora, Cinderace, Rillaboom, Sir'fetched,

N's Rhyperior

Aspiring Trainer
  • Rapid Urshifu V/VMAX - I mean 1 energy to KO Eternatus VMAX for 3 prizes with minimum effort that Coalossal, I'll go for that! The main is ehh. You're only source of F energy accel is Bea and possibly some Rapid-Style cards. You're not even OHKO 2 Dedennes even with Telescopic Sight for a cost of 3 energy. I might be wrong. 3/4-5 Geodudes
  • Single Urshifu V/VMAX - V, ehh. Okay, you can get an OHKO on Eternatus and Pikarom, but Lucario can do the same thing. VMax? I'm not fan of that. Again, unless there's a way to get 4 energy in one turn, without any huge risks to take, I'll buying it. 3/3-4
  • Empoleon V - Well, people mocking on cards like Scoop Up Net which can pikcup EXs, Empoleon might change it. Empoleon cannot turn off abilities of Pokemon with multiple prizes to give up. Like what, what Poksmon it can off, SM Oranguru? 3
  • Tyranitar V - Eternatus won't buy that thing. Just go for 2 energy Dread End with 8 Bench D mon on it. 3-4
  • Mienshao - reminds me of FFI Mienshao. Kinda love that! ;) 3-4
  • Houndoom -The goodness of this card depends on the Pokémon that is worth using the card. 3-4
  • Octillery - Universal search for Rapid mons, cool. 3-4
  • Emboar - be realistic, you can once in play because it's a Stage 2. Or don't play at all, it's your choice. 3