Banner Tutorial[GIMP]

pokemeister899

VM if you want to play ACNL with me!
OK, today we are going to learn how to make a banner with GIMP. I will include all my resources at the bottom of the tutorial. Also we will not use any C4D's for this. So, lets start.

tut1.png

Before we start, be sure to go to Windows>Dockable Dialogues>Layers,Channels,Paths,Undo,-Brushes,Patterns,Gradients. Of course, you can just use Layers, and that is all we need for this, but using this one is way easier.

tut2.png

Now we start. Create a 400x150 image.

tut3.png

Now go and duplicate your Background layer. Hide the bottom copy(click the eye button), and....

tut4.png

Go to Blend. Have the mode set to normal. Use the default gradient, and make sure it is flip. Also be sure to have the shape set to Radial. Then make a line across it like how I am doing. Don't worry about the color not being what you want it to be, we'll change it later.

tut5.png

OK, now go and unhide your top background layer and go to Filters>Render>Clouds>Difference Clouds. Make sure this is in your top background layer.

tut6.png

Have the X set to 2. Now go and press OK.

tut7.png

Go and set the top layer to Overlay and merge it down.

tut8.png

Now go to Colors>Colorize. Change the hue to fit your render that you will use. Since my render has a greenish color, mine will be 91.

tut10.png

Go and make a new layer and paste your render in the new render. Scale it to fit, then anchor it down.

tut11.png

Now go to Filters>Blur>Gaussian Blur, and set both to 20. Press OK, and then duplicate the blurred layer.

tut12.png

Go to Smudge and smudge around your render(top render layer btw). Dont do it all over though, and dont use any fancy brushes. I decided to not smudge the tail because it didnt look good when I first did it.

tut13.png

Go and hide all of your render layers, and then make a new layer below them.

tut14.png

Go to Brushes and then go to your fractal brush(link will be in bottom). Make sure the Scale is on 1.00.

tut15.png

Unhide all of your render layers and make a new layer on top of all of your layers. Go to the somewhat splatter brush on the Winter Breeze brushes(link on bottom)

tut16.png

Just keep on using the splatter brush more. It doesn't matter if some gets on your render, we'll take care of that in the next part.

tut17.png

Now go to erase and go to your Circle Fuzzy brush and erase all around your render, and in places that don't just look good. Also try to erase all of the lines while still keeping the dots, even if its not on your render.

tut18.png

Make a new layer above all of your other layers and go to Edit>Copy Visible, then paste it. Anchor it down.

tut19.png

Duplicate it and then go to Filters>Repeat Gaussian Blur. You can also do it the long way if you like.

tut20.png

Now go to Overlay, and you should get....

rayquaza_tag_by_shinyblaze-d37bdmb.png

This. Try making one of your own!

Brushes Used

Winter Breeze(works on PS and GIMP) (Credit to AxeRaider70)

(I couldn't find the other brush. Sorry. :()

Also I give credit to GimpSigTutorials on Youtube for making the original tut, mine was only a little edited from the original.(and it was for people who cant get to youtube)

For beginners, this is a fantastic tutorial, pokemaister, being able to teach beginners how to make good-looking sigs. Great job!

Hyperbeem rating: !
This is an amazing, quick way to get a good banner and it's really easy. I love that you used no CD4s and only the Splatter Brush, it's great! This has to go into the tutorials. Normally I don't rate tutorials but I just thought this one deserved a mention because it's awesome for beginners.

Thank you.

Btw, everyone also please read the last part of it. I should make something else that is actually fully my style.

FAINALLY, someone makes a tutorial one for Gimp users (I use Gimp for my banner making...as I'm too cheap to get PSP/Photoshop).
Thanx for this (adds to Fav. Links)

I found this quite useful... Tried on PS CS2.. And got this... I added some of my own though.. What do you think?

114rayquazav2.png

I've probably said this before, but isn't it exciting when someone uses your renders XD
Anyways, this is a great tutorial pokemaister, i love the end result!
Although I don't use Gimp a lot (therefore don't know how to use it properly!), this helps me quite a lot! Thanks

Very useful! I'm glad there's finally a tutorial for GIMP, I don't have the money for Photoshop. I made a banner that I like a lot with this tutorial!
5399020753_e05c1b0762.jpg

Anyway, I found something useful. If you take the image you linked, the Winter Brush one, Copy and Paste the image, and Color to Alpha black, then you get the same as the brush. Then, you can Color>Colorize and change the hue to make it any color you want. (This is for people who can't figure out how to download the brush…)

I made a few avvie's using this tutorial....I hope that they turned out ok.
Requested by: Zozo1999 of SPPF

@light venusaur

Careful not to abuse the blur. It's quite overdone on the espeon imo.

^Thank you for the imput, I've made another one.
It's a team pose for "Lucario0708" (a new member) over on SPPF.
Banner-Lucario0708.png

Did you use a normal/screen/hardlight layer for your additives (eg. the white soft thing across Zekrom's wing)? Because that doesn't blend too well on high-value colours or anything bright.

Something like a dark grey colour on a dodge layer might be better. It'll actually look like light (thanks to the value multiplier of 256), rather than white spray-paint.

richkid50000 said:
one question: how do i get the brush to download to GIMP?

To get it onto Gimp after you have downloaded the brushes is to search your computer until you find the folder Gimp Brushes. Once you founded the folder you can copy and paste the the folder which you had downloaded which include the brushes onto the Gimp Brush folder.

This tutorial is great for beginners who are using Gimp for the first time.

To get it onto Gimp after you have downloaded the brushes is to SEARCH your computer UNTILyou find the folder Gimp Brushes.

>_>;

C'mon at the very least give him a proper answer! :p

Program Files\GIMP-2.0\share\gimp\2.0\brushes

(assuming installed in Program Files)

XieRH said:
>_>;

C'mon at the very least give him a proper answer! :p

Program Files\GIMP-2.0\share\gimp\2.0\brushes

(assuming installed in Program Files)
Well mine is in GIMP 2.6\Brushes.

Depends on your version I guess.

Back