Article Bandit Ring Set Review!

Might want to correct this, but Bad Energy does not work with Dark Patch in Expanded. It counts as a dark only when attached to a Pokemon. This is like how you couldn't attach Herbal Energy with Virizion-EX; they only count when attached.

I'm kind of surprised there's no mention of the Regis at all in this. Very good article though!

Great article :) I still have my hopes high for MTyranitar... Dark type desperately needs energy acceleration soon!

Might want to correct this, but Bad Energy does not work with Dark Patch in Expanded. It counts as a dark only when attached to a Pokemon. This is like how you couldn't attach Herbal Energy with Virizion-EX; they only count when attached.
To clarify, I did not mean to suggest that Dark Energy could be a target for Dark Patch, rather that they would go well together. Attaching a Bad Energy and then following up with one or more Dark Patch is a solid play. Along with Darkrai-EX and Yveltal, Bad Energy has potential. In the presumumed XY-on format, there aren't as many viable Dark Pokemon to use Bad Energy with, that is why I think it will do better in expanded.

Bandit Ring Set Preview*

A review implies tests and experiences. Predicitions and such are a preview.

I also think Bad Energy has more synergy than the Author gives credit for, but that's all I'll say on that matter for now.

Last edited:
Really? No mention of the glorious 220 damage machamp or any of the new regis? Glad to see im not the only one who took notice of Unown Q reprint.

No mention of Registeel? I am suprised. Good review though, but I think that mega tyranitar will be more used than you think

I feel like Machamp EX deserves much mentioning as Bad Energy does.
Machamp EX can be devestating with the use of Ariados in this set as well.
KO'ing every 220 HP Pokémon with Fighting Stadium, Muscle Band and some Strongs...
You know, food for though

I feel like Machamp EX deserves much mentioning as Bad Energy does.
Machamp EX can be devestating with the use of Ariados in this set as well.
KO'ing every 220 HP Pokémon with Fighting Stadium, Muscle Band and some Strongs...
You know, food for though
A lot easier to set up than groudon, its gonna take the meta by storm.

It made it to 3rd, what is top then, wailord?

2nd in Seniors as well.

Rayquaza has shaped the meta, no matter what. Decks are run now with the intention of countering it (Wailord can't be OHKO'ed, Toad locks it down, Raichu hits for weakness, as can Night March, etc) and if you don't (Fighting/Bats prays to never see Rayquaza) then you'll be run through quickly.

It's right up there with Toad and Night March as being most important deck in format, despite not being the best certainly.

If it got 3rd that means there's 2 better decks. At least.

That statement is BS.

Wailord counters Toad every single day of the week. Expect if you put Jason K behind Toad. The player makes the deck.

If I take a random donk with my Beartic/Zebstrika deck against a Toad deck, does that mean my deck is now better than Toad? No.

Random luck is still a factor.

While I wouldn't place Ray at the top, dismissing it just because it didn't get first is BS of the highest order.

Last edited by a moderator:
In response to readers asking about Machamp and the Regis, I chose not to include Machamp because there isn't a realistic way for it to hit competitive damage points without either too much setup, or damaging itself. I almost included the Regis. With enough non-EX Pokemon in the XY-on format, I figured Regice would be forgotten. Regirock can hit some big numbers, but even with damage modifiers, not enough to knock out a Mega Pokemon. Registeel came the closest to showing up in the article, but I decided for similar reasons to Regice, to cut it. In a metal deck, it makes sense. I predict that if Float Stone and Keldeo-EX get cut, a mono-metal deck won't compete well. Pokemon-EX also have low energy costs and Mega Turbo potential, count that as another strike against Registeel.

In response to readers asking about Machamp and the Regis, I chose not to include Machamp because there isn't a realistic way for it to hit competitive damage points without either too much setup, or damaging itself. I almost included the Regis. With enough non-EX Pokemon in the XY-on format, I figured Regice would be forgotten. Regirock can hit some big numbers, but even with damage modifiers, not enough to knock out a Mega Pokemon. Registeel came the closest to showing up in the article, but I decided for similar reasons to Regice, to cut it. In a metal deck, it makes sense. I predict that if Float Stone and Keldeo-EX get cut, a mono-metal deck won't compete well. Pokemon-EX also have low energy costs and Mega Turbo potential, count that as another strike against Registeel.
Machamp + Ariados, there you go 190 damage base, two more modifiers and boom 250 damage. Groudon is competitive and takes a lot more to set up.

Machamp + Ariados, there you go 190 damage base, two more modifiers and boom 250 damage. Groudon is competitive and takes a lot more to set up.
Groudon also has a crazy amount of HP and a sick Ancient Trait that make him superior. Groudon just outclasses. He doesn't necessarily take more to setup and if he does then it is worth it. Like you said Machamp needs a ton of modifiers (which take setup). Groudon also doesn't get instantly OHKO'd back due to Focus Sash.

Groudon also has a crazy amount of HP and a sick Ancient Trait that make him superior. Groudon just outclasses. He doesn't necessarily take more to setup and if he does then it is worth it. Like you said Machamp needs a ton of modifiers (which take setup). Groudon also doesn't get instantly OHKO'd back due to Focus Sash.

Yes, but it still takes time to setup nonetheless.
Machamp has one less energy cost to do massive damage. Most players, who use Groudon or against it use their Stadiums very poorly. Just laying them out there without passion. Machamp takes some time to be shut down and doesn't take alot of time. Just put it on the field and boom.
And the weakness Groudon has can hinder it severely.
Not that it has much of a point at all. But the rise of Ludicolo with Plant Forest will be a big problem for it.

Back