Band? ADVICE WANTED

R-C

The Forgotten
Well I did a Band tryout yesterday I tried for Saxophone and drums I felt better with Sax so yea I got one and for first Semester I have to play Alto then I will switch to Baratone or Tenor. Disscuss if you are in band and what instrement you play if you play Saxophone then give me advice please and wish me lukc first year 6th Grader.

- Rotom-Cut

RE: Band?

Getting Braces like at the end of 2nd Semester. :[ But, ok sorry wasn't sure and have a practice lcass today.

- Rotom-Cut

This is a school band right? I never tried out for that consider I played the sax and didn't like it. But I was in a like friend band for abit, its tough and not for me. But Good luck wit what your doing B!

Lol sax is fun I used to play alto. Percussion is more fun because it has a variety of instruments.

(I played percussion)

My best friend plays Sax with braces, and she does just fine. I play percussion Because its just that more awesome, so that the advice I have to give.

I had to choose between Percussion and Sax = Wood Wind I chose Sax because they didn't have many and I could play it. It is a school band.

- Rotom-Cut

Don't get discouraged with bad sounds. Often new players think that their tone (the quality of the sound the instrument is making) will never get any better, and it totally will, just by playing. As you listen to professional musicians, you can start to notice the differences between their sound and yours, and there are many ways you can make it better.

It really is a long process to get a great sound; but if you love the music and have the discipline to work hard for something, you can sound phenomenal. If you have fun with it and make friends, it might not even feel like a long journey, but just progress.

Good luuckkk!! Band is so rewarding. A plethora of wonderful memories come from my high school band experience.

Myles I heard you play Clarinet and my teacher said the Clarinet Mouth Piece is like Saxes is this true and also, Is WoodWind Instrements include, Clarinet, Flute, and Sax only or others or not though or what it's Middle School so yea.

- Rotom-Cut

The clarinet and saxophone are extremely similar. They both use a single reed and tone holes, but they sound different for two reasons:

- The clarinet is made out of plastic or wood, while the saxophone is made out of metal
- The saxophone is a cone, while the clarinet is a cylinder. Makes a huge difference in the sound.

The members of the woodwind family are

- Flute, piccolo
- Clarinet, Bass clarinet
- Saxophone
- Oboe
- Bassoon

It's possible that the oboe and bassoon are not available to you. They're pretty fragile and specific, so middle schools sometimes leave them out.

RE: Band? ADVICE WANTED * Also would like you Sax players to come *

Yeah my Middle School doesn't have any of those Wood Wind instrements except.

My School's:

Saxophone
Flute
Clarinet

Which really the terrible thing is all the Flute/Clarinet players are girl then there is me, and 2 friend we are only boys in that whole group. O_O

Also but, the tips of Clarinet and Sax are the same like the Mouthpiece/Reed/Ligature.

- Rotom-Cut

RE: Band? ADVICE WANTED * Also would like you Sax players to come *

Rotom-Cut said:
Which really the terrible thing is all the Flute/Clarinet players are girl then there is me, and 2 friend we are only boys in that whole group. O_O

That'll be a good thing in about 2 years or so

Also but, the tips of Clarinet and Sax are the same like the Mouthpiece/Reed/Ligature.

- Rotom-Cut

They are very similar, yes. There are only a few small differences that don't really matter for now.

Well I'm not Gay or anything of that some sort no offence I've heard. But, yeah I mean Sax is the lowest/Loudest one of the threee correct?

- R-C

well at first i was a tenor saxophone in 6th grade than after a long somewhat decision i decided not to quit and man is it worth it i switched to alto starting in seventh. and i have enjoyed it a ton right now im a sophmore in marching band trust me kid its so worth it.

advice wise: make sure you do not leave your mouth piece with its read on when you put it back into your case. also try not to puff your cheecks when playing it might off pitch the sound,etc. dont forget if your to sharp pull-out if your to flat push in. so basically the more you push in the more sharper you get the more you pull out the more flat you get. make sure you always have atleast 1 spare just incase trust me ive learned.

if you need help with anything else please ask and im glad your in band and on alto woohoo!

SPIRE_FAN said:
well at first i was a tenor saxophone in 6th grade than after a long somewhat decision i decided not to quit and man is it worth it i switched to alto starting in seventh. and i have enjoyed it a ton right now im a sophmore in marching band trust me kid its so worth it.

advice wise: make sure you do not leave your mouth piece with its read on when you put it back into your case. also try not to puff your cheecks when playing it might off pitch the sound,etc. don't forget if your to sharp pull-out if your to flat push in. so basically the more you push in the more sharper you get the more you pull out the more flat you get. make sure you always have atleast 1 spare just incase trust me ive learned.

if you need help with anything else please ask and im glad your in band and on alto woohoo!

This helps thanks and yea my reed has a tiny chip already so were gonna buy new one soon for spare.

And can I talk to you on a Istant Messenger pm if so.

lol12345 said:
:p
I don't play instruments.

I just wanted to wish you good luck! ;)

Why do you even post?

- Rotom-Cut

I play brass, but I think I can help you out, because I've got friends that play the sax.

Spire said basically everything I wanted to say, but another piece of advice is if you have to turn your head to play through your sax's mothpiece properly, then you might want to turn the mouthpiece so that your head isn't tilting, but your mouthpiece is. This will help your posture a lot, and your head will stay straight up when you play.

Good luck with high school band!

I used to play sax in 8th grade, but it began to get boring. So I cut it and switched to guitar, much worth it!

Back