[B/W] Mandibuzz: possible tech? Contender for best Sniper after GCX?

Godzillian

Excellence does not come without effort.
73-mandibuzz.jpg

First thought that came to my mind when I saw this:

Ho-Ly Crap.

(a) 1 Dark for 50 Snipe, potentially 60+ to active with SPDark (excl/Expert Belt).

(b) 1 Dark, 1 DCE for potentially 100 Damage if the active is a Stage2.

Wow. (a) hit me off as this guy's best attack. It's better than Honchkrow UD, where it requires more Energy to do a Snipe. There's the problem of there needing to be a damage counter on the target Pokemon though. If we're talking about this rotation, Crobat Gs & other cards would take care of this problem. Post-rotation, I'm not too sure. T-Tar Prime is the best answer, but it may not be fast enough? Spiritomb TM can be considered as an option, but...

It can be argued that Garchomp C X is a better sniper, this rotation & post-rotation (if RR-on), considering that all you need is 2 Energy + E-gain to snipe for 80. In Dark-type decks though, like T-Tar, I think that Mandibuzz is the better choice for sniping.

T-Tar uses Darkness Howl, does 20 to all non-DarkType Pokemon.
If T-Tar gets KO'd, bring up Mandibuzz and start taking cheap snipe KOs.

That's pretty beast combo.

---

(b) on the other hand, looks pretty decent first glance. Then you realize, it's completely worthless in this format, where SP, Stage1 Gyarados/Donphan decks reign supreme. I guess it'd be a decent attack against Machamps & Jumpluffs, but Mandibuzz will probably get Revenge-KO'd the next turn, due to its low HP.

However, perhaps next format, if Gengar Prime starts showing up more often, then Mandibuzz may become the best counter for it. for 2 Energy cards, you can deal 200 damage to a Gengar Prime. Wow.

---

Its HP is okay, but not as good as it could be. 100 HP would've been best, as it'd be beyond GCX's snipe range (unless it gets Crobat'd twice). Luxray GL LV.X kills it. Fighting Resistance helps against Champs & Dons.

Retreat cost hurts it a bit, but not too shabby.

---

Overall, it's not a bad card. Honestly, it's the best bloody non-Holo Rare in the B/W set. FIFTY DAMAGE FOR 1 DARK ENERGY? SNIPE?! Definitely trying this out in my T-Tar deck, that I will be building after my exams.

---

So what do you guys think of this card? Interesting potential? Hunk-a-junk?

I think this is great for Tyranitar decks. I mean, you already have Tyranitar/Spiritomb/Sableye... but no real good secondary attacker after tyranitar. Don't try to tell me that weavile is a good secondary attacker...

I can totally see:

4-3-4 Tyranitar
2-2 Mandibuzz
2 Uxie
4 Spiritomb
1 Crobat G

22 pokemon.

Seems like a good line to me. Mandibuzz also has resistance on fighting, which is good because it can cover Tyranitars weakness to fighting.

The only reason you wouldn't want to run mandibuzz is if you were going to run Honchkrow; which IMO could possibly be a better option. Honchkrow's power can put pokemon back onto your opponents bench to get knocked out by tyranitar over and over. However, I could forsee all of these combinations being weak to gengar and it's feinting spell (despite having weakness)

I think Honchkrow SV in T-Tar would only be used as a Gyarados counter...

And Mandibuzz would be more like a sniping tech, rather than a secondary attacker. T-Tar would still be out there swinging strong and hard, but when the need arises, Mandibuzz swoops down from the skies on an unsuspecting Uxie!

I can see in this rotation, T-tar doing 20 to everything, and mandibuzz sniping pixies, or using mindibuzz's 2nd attack as a machamp SF counter with a belt and sp. dark

I'm playing this with Kingdra Prime.

4-3-4 Kingdra Prime
3-3 Mandibuzz
2 Crobat G
2 Uxie
1 Azelf

After the rotation switch out Crobats, Uxies and Azelf for Spiritomb (AR).

When it is viable, HGSS-On, this goes with Simisear well. Simisear's first is [Fr] 20, choose 2 benched, 20 to them aswell. Also simisear won't hit your bench if you need to dual type your deck.

Definitely interesting. My biggest problem is that DOnphan, though resisted, really doesn't take much from Mandibuzz. And Donphan will be huge if the format is RR-on. My other big problem is that 60 damage (assuming a 10 snipe then a Blindside) is just not enough to hit any key OHKOs. Sniping loses targets anyway next format without the pixies to pick on.
In the end, it has potential. If they come up with a good combo card to print it could be good.

Just something I've noticed, what about Absol Prime? When your opponent plays a basic, you two damage counters on it.

nabby101 said:
I'm playing this with Kingdra Prime.

4-3-4 Kingdra Prime
3-3 Mandibuzz
2 Crobat G
2 Uxie
1 Azelf

After the rotation switch out Crobats, Uxies and Azelf for Spiritomb (AR).

Kingdra and Manibuzz will be good after the rotation but not before. Luxray GL X kills this combo

I see Tyranitar decks becoming very toolboxy, with potentially Umbreon, Zoroark, and this all being very useful to the deck after a Tyranitar goes down. Outside of Tyranitar there may be room for a snipe deck built around it, but the king of snipers in this format is going to be Blastoise, not Mandibuzz. 50+10 and even 50+20 off of a Darkness Howl isn't that great anymore; there will be times to use it to snipe basics off the bench, but that 100 damage thump is going to have a lot more impact on their board position.

saying blastoise will be the king of snipers. maybe yeah but the real king of snipers. Will be Pokemon catcher. :) (when it comes out that is)

daviduk2000 said:
saying blastoise will be the king of snipers. maybe yeah but the real king of snipers. Will be Pokemon catcher. :) (when it comes out that is)

Catcher isn't a sniper. It's a supercondensed form of Luxray GL X. Blastoise remains supreme. :cool: Anyway, Mandibuzz is still going to be powerful, making me think T-tar will be next format's BDIF, since Mandibuzz and Umbreon can take care of Donchamp.

~SS

here's what i think about kingdra mandibuzz-

i play magnezone
pretty much auto loss situation

anything else, you are pretty good

ON THE OTHER HAND
searbuzz

this is the better play, easier to set up.

The very LARGE problem i see with both decks is vulnerability to OHKO. both electric decks (magnezone, zekrom) have HUGE OHKO potential.

Then there's buzztar, the best of three (covers the LARGE weakness)

Back