OU: Pokémon Azumarill Discussion Thread

PG24

<Pride> I'm my wildest fantasy
Advanced Member
sorry bacon im stealing ur format c:

25isyrq.png

Azumarill
Type: Water / Fairy
Abilities: Huge Power, Thic- no, you shouldn't even bother with other stuff you dummy.
Stats: 100 / 50 / 80 / 60 / 80 / 50

Notable moves:

Superpower
Play Rough
Double Edge
basic things every pokemon gets
Aqua Jet
Belly Drum
Ice Punch
Ice Punch

Thoughts and Sets:

With Huge Power boosting its Attack to that of a base 150, Azumarill has always been an interesting threat. Now, Azumarill picks up the newly introduced Fairy-type that not only gives it a great STAB to hit hard with, but also a few important resistances and immunities such as Bug-, Fighting, and Dragon-type. Combine all this with decent 100/80/80 bulk and a good physical movepool and you have one of the XY metagame's biggest threats.

Azumarill is arguably one of the biggest Fairy-types we got this gen. Not only is it an offensive powerhouse, but it can double as a good glue for any team by handling a vast amount of threats, such as Blaziken, Excadrill, and various Dragon- and Fighting-types. Despite the somewhat relevant weaknesses and low speed (what is aqua jet), Azumarill has a very strong impact on this metagame.

Azumarill @ Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 212 HP / 252 Atk / 44 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Superpower
- Waterfall / Return

In my opinion, this is Azumarill's best and most easiest set to use. With the only notable addition being the inclusion of Play Rough, Azumarill's staple Choice Band set makes its return even stronger than ever. STAB Aqua Jet is huge, being able to handle a lot of faster threats in this metagame such as Excadrill, Blaziken, Volcarona, as well as weakened threats that can easily be picked off. The new addition of Play Rough is very handy, letting you take care of a plethora of Dragon-types such as Garchomp, Dragonite, Hydreigon, Keldeo, and many more. Superpower is your only way to break Ferrothorn, while also getting a clean kill on Blissey, who you outspeed with the 44 EVs. The last moveslot is if you want a more powerful Water-type STAB in Waterfall, or an extra coverage option for Tentacreul and Celebi in Return.

Azumarill @ Mystic Water / Lum Berry
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Waterfall / Superpower

Previously an impossibility due to breeding constraints, the amazing combination of Belly Drum + Aqua Jet is now a possibility. I don't even think much more needs to be said other than that: it's a +6 boosting move followed by a good priority move. Anything else becomes too difficult to pull off with low speed and only 50% HP left. Play Rough will be seldom used, but it does offer decent coverage with Aqua Jet by handling Dragon-types. Waterfall beats physical walls like Skarmory and sometimes Ferrothron, but Superpower is notable for always guaranteeing the kill on Ferrothron. Mystic Water vs Lum Berry is dependent if you want more power or an easier time sweeping with annoying status. On a side note, both moves can work as Choice Band bluffs early in the game. Leftovers can be useful to compensate for the massive amounts of HP lost after Belly Drum.

So what are your thoughts on the improved Azumarill? How effective do you think it is in the current metagame? etc

Azumarill got one of the bigger buffs this generation, and I'm very happy for that. The Fairy typing, Belly Drum being legal with Aqua Jet, and STAB Play Rough are all crucial. I especially like Play Rough's addition because Jellicent can no longer wall Azumarill as safely as in Gen 5, where it was the biggest thorn-in-the-side and practically forced Azu down to UU. Losing Ice Punch on its sets is understandable given the Dragon coverage it has now. It also has a huge buff defensively due to its new typing - regular Kyurem's only attack against it that hits neutrally is Earth Power. :p

Otherwise, unsheathed has covered much of what I would say. Azumarill gained a new niche and buffs to add to its formerly limited repertoire. I think it's finally an OU-class threat.

~AoH

Indeed, Azumarill is the biggest effect of Fairies in the meta, and now with that incredible combination of Belly Drum+priority, as well as practically having an Attack stat that equals that of the newly OU'ed Deoxys-N, it gets its chance to truly shine. Being OU also means that it can take advantage of Rain, which might have gotten nerfed but is still handy. We also mustn't forget that with so low Speed and Aqua Jet, Azumarill doesn't really care about Sticky Web, the new addition to the meta.

I've had mixed results with Azumaril. In the team I made PDC gave to me, the Azumaril is the standard CB Set but with Ice Punch in the last slot instead of Return/Waterfall. I guess for Grass-types or whatever, but I really miss having STAB CB Huge Power Waterfall to spam around in a lot of my games. I'm probably going to switch to Return or Waterfall to see what happens, I haven't played any notable Grass-types in any of my games yet lol. I find without Waterfall, Azumaril honestly doesn't have as much power as I'd like. But on the upside, its resistances as well as the excellent 100/80/80 bulk it has (which is often overlooked) is just awesome. I love having a pokemon able to switch in and troll Scizor/Genesect repetitively.

The Belly Drum set makes me want to rip my hair out. I played against one on a rain team. Now, I did misplay (protip: Don't even think about clicking 'outrage' if azumaril is anywhere on your opponent's side of the field), but the +6 aqua jet proceeded to 6-0 me. It even ran right through my flipping Wash Rotom. >.>. It's a lot easier to handle if you can either force it out after it belly drums or just prevent it from setting up at all. And even then at low health, Extremespeed Anything basically KOs, but the pressure it provides is incredible. One play mistake and you're facing a monster with 1750ish attack. Good luck.

most easiest
lol'd

Yeah, to be honest I'd just slap a CB on this thing and call it a day. Belly Drum is potent, but it's a one time use that's still going to be quashed by anything bulky with a Water resistance.

Don't forget Knock Off as a viable coverage move. It has 65 base power now and deals an extra 50% on the hit that removes the opponent's item, which is definitely enough to muscle past would-be counters Jellicent and Celebi.

It's a great looking mon, though. Water/Fairy is such an excellent typing, it has great synergy in so many cores. Latias and Heatran spring to mind.

Honestly, I think with a Sitrus berry, the Belly Drum set becomes very viable, and I think it may be even more potent than that standard choice band set. Also, I haven't done any calcs, but with Azumarill's decent bulk, I can't see it being automatically ko'd by every priority user, which would make it much more usable. I might update this post later with some calculations for priority users attacking Azumarill with various ev spreads.

Back