[Awesomenauts] - PC

SotS

Cycling the Stress Away
The Gaming area here is rather sparse, so how about a new thread? Not sure if anyone here plays it, but it's worth a shot asking! And who knows, maybe you've never heard of this game and will give it a shot after reading.

Before I begin, here's a video I found that says everything I say here (and more). I'm sure a wall of text probably isn't the best way to get people to look at the game, so feel free to just watch The [link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Da4K4_Cuxs]Basics of Awesomenauts[/link] instead if you'd prefer (this is not my video, just to be clear).

Anyways -- Awesomenauts. Awesomenauts is a more casual MOBA/LoMa (whichever you use) game. It takes the form of a 2D platformer, and sports cartoony visuals with a few cheesy tracks to go along with it.

Ever played Dota/2 or League of Legends? Then you know the drill here. The objective of Awesomenauts is to reach the opponents Solar Drill on the side of the map opposite to where yours is positioned. Red team's is on the left, blue's on the right. But leaving it at that would be too easy, wouldn't it? That's where the turrets come in.

Turrets are spread across two lanes on each map, and they act as a roadblock -- In order to get to the Drill and win, you must take out the turrets first. This can prove to be a difficult task, as they deal a lot of damage and will kill you in seconds if you attempt to fight them alone. How do you take them out? By using your droids (which begin spawning seconds into the match and will spawn at regular intervals) as meatshields, as they will put a shield up if they get into the vicinity of one, allowing you to attack the turret relatively unharmed.

Of course that's just the basic idea of the game. The character you control will drastically change how you actually play that out. There are currently thirteen playable characters who all vastly differ from each other in terms of playstyle and controls. Many of them share the same classes such as Lane-Pusher, Assassin, and Defense, but that's where the similarities end.

Speaking of characters, they all have their own uses even if they share a class with another 'Naut. This is because of the skill tree you will see before entering a match. The skill tree contain four rows of six items. One row for you Auto-attack, two rows for your two different skills, and one row for your utility (All nauts share the same utilities, bar a single upgrade). The catch? You can only bring three upgrades from each row. This means you must choose wisely, as these are the only upgrades you can buy in the match you are about to enter.

Awesomenauts can be bought on Steam, or straight from Awesomenauts.com for $10. It often goes on sale during the big Steam sales, if you'd rather wait it out.

Oh, and one last thing -- DO NOT buy Awesomenauts on the PS3 or Xbox 360. I know that's the version being played in the linked video, but trust me on this one. The publisher of the game went bankrupt and; as such, the game has not been, nor can be, updated. There are only eight characters, and balance is very bad with some character being godly while others garbage.

Back