Writing Athena Plays Fire Emblem: Blazing Sword - Final Chapter & Epilogue

Chapter 31x: Ostian Shopping Network

<TGK> Hey guys! We just got word back from Fargus. He and his crew are standing by ready to take us to Valor as soon as we arrive at the port.
<Green> Sweet! Let's get going then.
<Athena> Before we leave, we should probably stock up on supplies. I dunno what all we'll be heading into at Valor, but we're getting close to endgame and we need some good weapons.
<Green> Good point. I'll take a bunch of gold from the treasury for extra funds.
<BB> Yay shopping! \o/​

As everyone rushed about to gather and sort weapons in the convoy, Lord Green took Oswin aside.

<Oswin> Look, I'm really sorry about Lord Icarus and all...
<Green> Yes, I'm sure. *sigh* It's hard to come to terms with my brother's death, but here it is. What's bothering me though is... why did you hide it from me?
<Oswin> Well... it was Lord Icarus's orders, sir.
<Green> o_o?
<Oswin> He knew that if you found out how badly his health was failing... that you'd want to come to side, that you'd be torn between helping your friend and supporting your brother, and that you'd end up pissed at yourself no matter what you chose, so he made the decision for you, so you would stay by Lord NotJim's side.
<Green> ... Alright then. Thanks for telling me.​

As the dialogue faded, we went into the preparations screen and...

<Green> Wait, hold on, why are we in the prep screen? There's no enemies, this isn't a battle!
<Athena> You're right. It's a shopping chapter.
<Green> I... what?
<Athena> We get 5 rounds to buy as much stuff from the stores as we want. Oh, there's an arena, too, I guess.
<Green> WTF kind of chapter is this? >_<
<Athena> A short one.​

And thus we entered the Ostian castle town to buy and sell some supplies. We ditched our worn out and lower quality weapons for better ones. Green, BB, Jabber, and PP all made some use of the arena. We still had plenty of gold left at the end, but we had all the weapons I felt we needed, and the convoy was starting to get full, so it was time to set off. While everyone prepared to head out to Badon, Green went back to the castle for one final moment.

<Green> The throne is empty… Makes her look so small. ……Even on the verge of death, you worried about me… Blast… You were always like that, eh, Icarus ? I never asked it of you, but you watched over me nonetheless… Like a father… With that know-it-all look… I told you… “Don’t treat me like a kid…” You never listened. ……I’m coming back. I’ll take care of Keeper and end his threat to the world. I’ll be back… And I’ll take the throne. I may not be nearly as dependable as you, Brother, but… Even so, together we’ll make Ostia and all Lycia a place of peace. We’ll put an end to peerage and make Ostia a place where all are equal. …We’ll try our best… Watch and see. Brother!​

Meanwhile, at the Dragon's Gate...

<Keeper> Hey, Limstella, guess what I got?
<Limstella> ... ... ... what?
<Keeper> Is Celever's dragonstone! I swiped it from him when I visited the lordlings the other day. I don't think they even noticed I took it. I'm going to infuse it with SM's quintessence. *magic*
<Limstella> Oooh... shiny...
<Keeper> With this, I can summon dragons whenever I want!
<Limstella> I suppose we should get started then.
<Keeper> Sadly, we need to get some more quintessence first. I used some when I was hurt in that fight with Athos, and I want to make sure we have enough to deal with any problems.
<Limstella> Well, we're fresh out of quintessence from the Black Fang... any ideas?
<Keeper> Well, Green and his friends are headed here even as we speak. I'm sure we can harvest plenty from them. Mwahahahahahahahaha!!​

Current Team!

Lord Green
- Lv. 12 Great Lord
Lord NotJim - Lv. 16 Knight Lord
Luis - Lv. 15 Sage
Skyleaf - Lv. 13 Valkyrie
BB - Lv. 14 Blade Lord
TGK - Lv. 15 Paladin
Robin - Lv. 18 Falcoknight
Jabber - Lv. 13 Hero
PP - Lv. 14 Bishop
Celever - Lv. 20 Dancer
Cypher - Lv. 17 Wyvern Lord
Vom - Lv. 14 Nomad Trooper

Player Notes

I always found it amusing that this is an entire chapter.

There's actually some conversations you can unlock here, and one recruitable unit that you can trigger under certain circumstances, but none of them are available with the character's and pairings we chose, so eh. I do, however, really like Green's speech to himself at the castle, so I included it here verbatim for all to enjoy.

Due to the shortness of this chapter, I will indeed be doing a second chapter later today. In the meantime, enjoy!

Chapter 32: Cake or Death

Supplies obtained, we marched to Badon as quickly as possible to meet up with Fargus and his crew. The sail to Valor Isle was short and simple. Still deeply troubled and saddened by his sister's death, Celever remained with Fargus and his crew to await the return of Green and the others... that is, if they would return at all. For all of us knew that our power was no match for Keeper and that there was a very good chance that we might not return at all, whether we beat Keeper or no.

<BB> Alright, we're here.
<NotJim> I guess now we just need to kill time for Ath--
<Celever> Look out! *shoves NotJim aside, just missing a bolt of magic lightning*
<Athena> Celever, you came back. :O
<Celever> Yeah, I figure that I should kind of stop skulking and help out. It's what Ninian would want, after all.
<Limstella> ... you made my attack miss.
<Everyone> :O!
<Jabber> She must be one of those morphs Athos was talking about.
<Limstella> Yes, I am. I'm here to steal your quintessence.
<Green> Yay, a battle! \o/
<Celever> Keeper still hasn't summoned any dragons yet. I would feel it if he had. I think we have time left to stop him!
<Athena> Welp, let's get to some fighting then.​

There were three main paths to take to the Dragon's Gate where Limstella teleported and was waiting for us: north and then east around the mountains, east and then north around the mountains, or straight through the middle on a diagonal course. TGK, Skyleaf, Cypher, and NotJim took the first route, Green, Robin, PP, and Celever the second, and BB, Vom, Jabber, and Luis the third. There were dozens of morph enemies along the way, but despite Celever's fear, we managed to slice through them pretty cleanly.

There were also a number of ruins scattered along the path. From one in the north, we picked up the Bishop Renault to aid our cause. At a different ruin in the southeast, BB came across a strange girl.

<???> Arch.... sage...?
<BB> Hello there. Can I help you?
<???> Oh, you're not the archsage... sorry to both you...
<BB> No, wait a moment, who are you? Have you seen Athos?
<???> I come from... Arcadia. I was hoping... to meet with him... the archsage...
<BB> Well, he's not here yet, as far as we know, so....
<???> I see... well.... take this as a gift.
<BB> A talisman?
<???> Yes... We want… you all to do your... best. For the future… please don’t lose… If the light is strong enough… it can dispel…darkness… *leaves*
<BB> Okay, thanks. >.>​

Green was holding off a stream of enemies at a bridge just south of the final stronghold when Jabber, BB, Luis, and Vom caught up to him. Together, and aided by Robin and PP, they stormed across the last river and towards Limstella. Hordes of enemies keep reinforcing, but we held them back. Finally, Vom and Green took her down, and Green capped the point.

<Green> We made it! \o/
<NotJim> Before we go on, though... Celever, would you mind sharing your story with us?
<Celever> Sure, I guess I may as well get these plot bits in before we move onto endgame. Everyone gather around...
<Celever> Like a thousand years or so ago, there was the Scouring, you guys know about that. The dragon lost and we fled from this world through the Dragon's Gate.
CG40.png

<Celever> It was a tough journey, and we did find a few humans there, too, and there was some fighting... but we eventually found a home to call our own. We were happy there, for the most part, but some of us still missed our old land. Ninian was kind of a dragon oracle, very powerful, and she spent most of her time at the Dragon Shrine where the gate was kept on our side.
CG27.png

<Celever> One time, while we were there at the shrine, we heard the voice of an old friend calling to us... we knew that we shouldn't open the gate, but, well... we did anyway. But something happened, something bad, and our quintessence was stolen. In order to survive, we had to take human form and we sealed our power into a dragonstone. Of course, Keeper was the one who was calling to us in the first place. >_<
CG28.png

<Celever> He took the dragonstone from us and tried to use it to summon other dragons, but we managed to escape. We didn't want any more of our friends to be hurt. Of course, Keeper didn't want to let us go so easily...
CG29.png

<Celever> We disguised ourselves as a dancer and a bard, and tried our hardest to stay out of Keeper's clutches. That's why the Fang were after us last year when we met up with BB. After that journey together was over, we left out on our own... but we managed to get captured again. It was then that we met Lord Elbert, NotJim's dad.
CG30.png

<Celever> He was such a cool dude. Even know who and what we were, and what we had done, he was very kind and friendly to us. He told us a bunch of stories about his home. And we always believed that his son would come and save us all. And I still believe that, Lord NotJim, I really do! Which is why I'll continue to stand by you and help you as much as I can.
<NotJim> Awwww... <3
<Green> And we will for sure! Let's go kill Keeper!
<Athena> But first... it's time for our last sidequest!​

Current Team!

Lord Green
- Lv. 18 Great Lord
Lord NotJim - Lv. 20 Knight Lord
Luis - Lv. 17 Sage
Skyleaf - Lv. 17 Valkyrie
BB - Lv. 17 Blade Lord
TGK - Lv. 20 Paladin
Robin - Lv. 20 Falcoknight
Jabber - Lv. 18 Hero
PP - Lv. 18 Bishop
Celever - Lv. 20 Dancer
Cypher - Lv. 20 Wyvern Lord
Vom - Lv. 17 Nomad Trooper

Player Notes

Yeah! This chapter! Yeah!

Actually quite a bit of fun. In the "Augury" section in prep, Celever is all really depressed about how hard it is, but it's not hard at all, really, just lots of enemies and lots of paths. I split up exactly how I described it and basically slaughtered everyone. Lots of reinforcements, lots of promoted enemies, and as a result, lots of exp floating around. Robin, NotJim, Cypher, and TGK all level capped this chapter, and many of them have some capped stats, too.

Now that Keeper spoiled Celever's secret, we get to learn more about what's been happening to him and SM from their point of view. Dragon Oracle, woooo. \o/ Though I do always find it interesting that this story doesn't quite match up with actual events, though of course that part of the story is hidden behind a lot of gaidens and stuff. Stupid Fire Emblem with its stupid hidden plot bits.

Next chapter is indeed another gaiden. Our final one, obviously, since the chapter after that is the very last chapter of the game. But we do have one little plot thread to finish unraveling unrelated to the main plot. I hope you all enjoy!

Still looking for input on either to move onto FE6 or a Pokémon DS game after I'm finished with this, but it looks like we're leaning towards FE. I'll probably post up an intro on Friday regardless to let you guys suggest units over the weekend, unless a bunch of people rush in to vote for Pokémon.

Yeah, the dragon design in FE7/6 is one of my favourites in the whole series. Very elegant.

There are many different types of dragons in the FE universe. SM and Celever are of the "Ice Dragon" type, which is based more off of eastern-style dragons than western dragons, which is why they don't have wings. IIRC, the other types (Fire, Mage, Divine, and Earth) all have wings. Ice dragons in other games also don't have wings. Pretty sure they can still fly, though.

There are many different types of dragons in the FE universe. SM and Celever are of the "Ice Dragon" type, which is based more off of eastern-style dragons than western dragons, which is why they don't have wings.
So... they are literally the penguins of dragons? o_o

Penguins have wings and can't fly but ice dragons don't have wings and can fly, so.... no. :p

Chapter 32x: It's the final sidequest~

<Green> So, you say we've got one more sidequest left?
<Athena> Yep, in those creepy ruins over there. *points*
<NotJim> Well, we do need to kill more time for Athos to get back here with our legendary weapons...
<Green> Alright, let's check it out.​

Meanwhile, in the creepy ruins, Kishuna (Remember him? Magic sealing creepy optional boss dude?) ponders another flashback...

CG37.png

<Keeper> Alright, so, you're the first morph I've made that has emotions, but... you're &^@#ing useless. You can't fight, you can't speak, you can't harvest quintessence, and in fact you block all the magic around you which is a huge hindrance.
<Kishuna> ... ... ...
<Keeper> What am I supposed to do with you? You're such a failure. -_-; Just... just go away and do whatever. be gone.​

Back in the present day...

<Green> I guess this is it... hey, what's that weird feeling in the air?
<Celever> It's the Magic Seal again!
<Green> Oh, that guy, yeah, I guess we never actually killed him before, he just kind of teleported away. Welp, let's see if we can kill him for reals this time.
<Athena> These ruins are kind of tight quarters, only a few people will be able to go.
<Green> Alright, let's see... no point in bringing a lot of magic with the Seal in place, so let's just bring Skyleaf for whatever she can do on the edges and then BB, Vom, and Jabber for exp.​

The 5 of them crowded into the ruins, me behind taking copious notes and directing the flow of battle. It was pretty simple to read, however; the ruin was simply one long path that goes around in a circle leading to the room where the boss was waiting for us. Everyone quickly began the trek around the circular path, killing as they went. Skyleaf was even able to get a few kills in by positioning herself right outside of the seal's reach. Eventually we broke our way into the last room where Green, Jabber, Vom, and BB all worked together for a couple of rounds to finally take this guy out once and for all. When he was defeated, he crumbled into dust, and the other morph enemies vanished.

<Green> Huh. I guess this guy was a morph or something too.
<Celever> Yeah... I heard it calling out to Keeper when it died, in my head like. It sounded... sad. Filled with sorrow.
<Green> Well, if you expect me to feel bad about a boss, forget about it. Come on guys, let's head on to the Dragon's Gate!​

Current Team!

Lord Green
- Lv. 20 Great Lord
Luis - Lv. 17 Sage
Skyleaf - Lv. 19 Valkyrie
BB - Lv. 20 Blade Lord
TGK - Lv. 20 Paladin
Jabber - Lv. 20 Hero
PP - Lv. 18 Bishop
Celever - Lv. 20 Dancer
Vom - Lv. 20 Nomad Trooper

Player Notes

Another super short chapter, and the final end to the Kishuna storyline. All of the enemies were promoted and wielded ranged weapons, but they were super easy to defeat. The only real downside was the magic seal that prevented me from giving any exp to our magic users. As a result, now everyone has capped their level except for Luis, Skyleaf, and PP. :p

Not much story to speak of either. Kishuna's sidestory is kind of depressing, but there's not really all too much to it. It's a fun little connected gaiden, but since he never speaks, it doesn't really impact the characters at all. I guess it's just another example of how crappy a guy Keeper is. Also dumb because seriously beating this guy is more difficult than any of the other bosses so you'd think he would have realized how useful that could be but noooo.

Anyway, this was super short, and tomorrow is going to be kind of a busy day for me, so I think I'm going to go ahead and do the endgame chapter today, too. Wish me luck! <3

Final Chapter: *insert cool boss battle music*

As we entered the outskirts of the ruins around the Dragon's Gate, we found a familiar, wizardly face waiting for us...

<Green> 'Sup, Athos?
<Athos> Hello guys! I brought you all some pretty cool shit. :3
<Everyone> Hurray! \o/
<Athos> I have this sweet Light tome, Aureola that will be handy. Also, here's Durandal and Armads back for NotJim and Green. Oh, and I found a sword for you too, BB, so you don't feel too left out: it's called the Sol Katti.
<BB> Sweeet~
<Athos> Celever, can you sense Keeper?
<Celever> Yeah, he's inside, waiting for us. I also feel something... very strange, very powerful. But I dunno what it is.
<Athena> Well, it wouldn't be a proper final chapter if there weren't a few surprises waiting for us.
<Green> Merlinus, you've been a great help, but I think you should go back to the ship and wait with Fargus for now.
<Merlinus> Happy to have been of service, milords. *bows*​

We geared up and stormed our way into the ruins. As predicted, Keeper was waiting for us right in the center of a large open room with many closed doors on all sides.

<Green> Keeper! >:|
<Keeper> So, you decided to take my invitation after all. Shame it's too late for you to do anything. I've already opened the portal! I shall claim the quintessence of dragons and become more powerful than you can imagine!
<BB> What, you think we'll just stand back and let you do that? After all the people you've slaughtered? No power in the world is worth that cost!
<Keeper> I don't give a crap about anyone, as you should well know. Power is all I desire. In fact, death... pleases me.
<Vom> Eww.
<Keeper> Anyway, I think I'd like to eat your quintessence too, so I'm happy to kill you all right here. Rise and come forth, my servants!​

Keeper raised his arms and suddenly in front of us materialized a bunch of familiar faces. Lord Darin... Uhai... Kenneth.... Ursula... Linus and Lloyd... Brendan... Kenneth... also some other boss that we didn't actually fight because we played a different version of the chapter.

<Green> The Marquess... and the other Black Fang bosses.... what is this?
<Keeper> Oh, them? They are my morphs, the most powerful ones I've ever created. I thought it would amuse you to fight some familiar faces again. Maybe you'd like to see one made of your poor dead brother Icarus? Perhaps a heartless puppet could ease the longing in your soul...
<Green> Shut up, you fiend. The only heartless puppet here is you. >:|
<Keeper> Pah. Your platitudes are meaningless to me. Good and evil are just words. All there is is power.
<Athos> Man, you really haven't changed at all.
<Keeper> And neither have you! The man whom I once considered my dearest friend, and yet you turned on me and deformed me with your magic!
CG31.png

<Keeper> Trust brings nothing but betrayal. Friends are a weakness.
<Green> The only reason he turned on you was because you're a lying, murdering, evil son of a bitch! I don't give a crap how you justify your crimes to yourself. I'll kill you with my own two hands if I need to. >:|
<Keeper> Well, good luck with that. I'm afraid you'll have to get through my morphs first. Have fun~ *teleports away with the morphs*
<Green> Well, everyone, this is my fight. Stay back... you don't have to get yourselves killed here.
<BB> Don't be daft. We're fighting too and you can't stop us.
<NotJim> We're with you to the end, friend.
<Celever> Me too! And I'm sure SM is with us in spirit as well.
<Jabber> If I die here… so be it.
<Vom> For those whose reasoning is bent. I will straighten it with my bow.
<Robin> I… I… I’ll do my best!
<PP> Blessed Saint Elimine, please grant us a miracle…
<Cypher> For Bern, land of my birth… May I return to it soon!
<Luis> For years, I’ve studied. Now, let those studies show their worth!
<TGK> I won’t hold back! This is for all the lovely ladies I’ve yet to meet!!
<Skyleaf> I don’t want to lose anyone, so I will fight my strongest.
<Green> Alright, well... everyone, give it your all!​

The battle began with the opening of a single door in the bottom right side of the room. Uhai and a couple of snipers were waiting there for us. Luis, with some help from Celever and a lucky crit from his Elfire tome, managed to take out Uhai all on his own, then Vom, with his killer bow, and TGK, with a silver lance, came in to sweep up the snipers.

Everyone else rushed up to where the next door opened up. Inside were Kenneth and also a Druid and a Sage. BB sniped the Sage from outside the room with a crit from her Killer Bow. Green ran inside after Kenneth with Armads in hand and crit him in a single hit, followed closely by NotJim who crit the Druid in the face with Durandal.

Jabber and PP were waiting for the 3rd door where Brendan and another Warrior were waiting. PP easily took out the faceless warrior with a couple shots of Aura while Jabber slew the Brendan morph with his killer axe. He did take a hit, however, so Skyleaf healed him up.

The room room was across the way where Darin and a General were waiting. Robin and Luis teamed up to take out Lord Darin together, with a Killer Lance and Fimbulvetr respectively, while TGK rushed in to take care of the other general with his Killing Edge.

The penultimate room was in the bottom left where Ursula and the other boss we didn't face, the Assassin Jerme, were waiting for us. Cypher swooped in and killed Ursula with a crit from his Killer Lance, then Vom shot Jerme from a distance with a lucky crit from his new Reinfleche bow.

The others all rushed up towards the last unopened side door where Linus and Lloyd were camped out. Robin flew in and crit Lloyd with her Killer Lance, but it wasn't quite enough to kill him, so PP sniped him with a smack from his Aura tome outside the room. Linus was also tough, requiring TGK, Green, and Luis to all work together in taking him down.

As soon as the morph mini-bosses were all dead, the door at the head of the room opened and there Keeper awaited us. Also there was a Druid with a Berserk staff that hit TGK who ran around attacking Celever. We knew we needed to end things quickly, so we all rushed forward as fast as we could. Robin, NotJim, and PP all whittled down Keeper's HP, but Green got the final blow with Armads.

<Keeper> Why? Why must I lose? More power… I must be… stronger… I… Why? Why did I… want power? … … Aenir? …Don’t…under… stand… but… Gaa… Not like this… I will not die… like this. With my last breath… tremble… and… despair. Hwah ha ha… Ha…ha ha ha…
<BB> Celever, are you okay?
<Celever> I don't know... why am I crying?
<NotJim> Well, you've been through a lot. SM would be proud of you.
<???> *RRRROOOOOOAAAAAARRRRRRR!!!!!!*
<Everyone> o___o;;;
<Green> WTF was that?​

We all rushed up the stairs towards the gate and the sound of the roar and there we saw...

CG32.png

<Jabber> Are those...
<Skyleaf> It can't be...
<Athena> Yep, those are dragons alright.
<Green> I guess this is what Keeper was referring to in his death quote... >_<
<Robin> But if dragons return to this world...
<Luis> The world is finished. We'd all be done for.
<Green> Not if I have anything to say about it! Let's take them out!
<Cypher> It looks like there's 3 of them, can we really kill so many on our own?
<Athos> Thankfully, you have one of the eight legends on your side. Let me see what I can do.​

Athos teleported to the top of the staircase right in front of the dragons. 2 of them moved forward to attack him with their fire breath and it didn't look like poor Athos would be able to accomplish anything after all, when suddenly a green-robed NPC teleported in. It was Bramimond!

<Bramimond> Sorry I'm late guys, but I think you'll want to check this out... *super cool magic animation*
<Everyone> Oooooohh.... Ahhhh....​

When the magic spell was complete, a girl materialized in front of him. It was SM!

<Bramimond> Bring her back… Let the dragon girl’s soul be restored.
<NotJim> SM! :O
<Celever> Sister! :D
<SM> Where... where am I?
<Bramimond> Come on, snap out of it. We need you to use your power to calm the dragons.
<SM> I... I can't do that... my power doesn't work in this world...
<Bramimond> Come on, there's a lot of legendary magic being used here. Focus! Give it a try!
<SM> Alright...​

SM calmly walked up to the dragon who were still roaring and breathing smoke. With a deep breath, she casts a powerful ice magic spell on the beasts who roared with pain. 2 of them died but the 3rd was left huddling and roaring.

<SM> I'm sorry guys... I know it's not your fault... *collapse*
<NotJim> SM! D:
<Celever> It's okay, she's just fainted.
<Bramimond> Welp, that took care of 2 of the dragons anyway. You'll have to figure out what to do about the 3rd. For now, I'll take SM and get out of here. *teleports*
<Green> I guess we've got a dragon to fight then guys. Come on!​

Everyone rushed forward quickly and used their most powerful attacks against the dragon. PP wielding Aureola, NotJim Durandal, Robin her Rex Hasta, Luis Excalibur, Vom Reinfleche... but Green was determined to land the final blow himself and he did so easily, thanks to a critical hit from Armads that took off over half of the dragon's HP in a single blow. Roaring with pain, the dragon crumbled into dust and died.

<Green> Everyone okay?
<NotJim> Yeah, I think so... wow, that was a sweet hit!
<Athos> Indeed! You all have done very well today. It's finally over. I-- *collapse*
<Green> Ohshi- you okay, dude?
<Athos> It looks like... I used up a bit too much of my own power in that fight. After over 1000 years, it's time for me to say my final goodbyes.
<NotJim> Well, it was nice to know you. You were pretty cool for an old wizard dude.
<Athos> As I lie here dying... I see the future, and.... oh $%&^*(&$.
<BB> Umm... that doesn't sound good. Mind telling us what you're seeing?
<Athos> An evil star... rises in Bern... All of Elibe will soon be washed in blood...
<Luis> Oh god, really? >_<
<Athos> Worry not, my friends... once again, Lycia provides hope to everyone. Children of fire... x_x;
CG41.png

<Green> I think he's dead. >_>
<SM> This world will once again be swallowed by darkness, but a saving light will emerge.
<Athena> Of course it will; it's a video game world.
<NotJim> SM! You're okay~ <3
<SM> Lord NotJim...
<NotJim> I'm so happy you're back. It almost feels like a dream. I want you by my side forever.
<SM> But Lord NotJim I... I must go home... Everything that happened here was my fault... all because I wanted to see my home world again one last time...
<NotJim> Well, when you think about it, humans are kind of assholes in this story, too. After all, we treated you guys like interlopers and killed you and kicked you out, even though it's your home here too. So, really, if you want to blame anyone, blame the humans that started the Scouring 1000 years ago. We need to work together to rebuild the future into a place where dragons and humans can live together in peace.
<SM> That would be lovely... but not feasible anytime soon, I'm afraid. And so, we can't stay here. We should get back while the gate is still open and close it from the other side.
<NotJim> But... but that means I'll never see you again! D:
<SM> Lord NotJim... I'm so happy that I got to meet you. Please... don't ever forget about me.
<NotJim> SM...
<SM> Come on, Celever, let's go home.
<Celever> You know, sis, the air of this world... it's changed a hell of a lot over the years. If you stayed here, you'd probably never gain your powers back, and you wouldn't live very long either.
<SM> Celever, what...?
<Celever> But you know all that... and you still want to stay here anyway, don't you? With Lord NotJim?
<SM> I... ... ...
<Celever> Hey, NotJim, you'll take good care of my sister for me, right?
<NotJim> I'll make her the happiest woman in the world, I swear it.
<SM> Celever, are you...?
<Celever> Yeah, I'm going to head back through on my own. I've got a long life ahead of me and I want to live it to the fullest. So, I guess I'll say my own goodbyes then.
<Green> Take care, Celever! Was nice knowing you, kid.
<BB> We'll miss you. <3
<SM> ... ... ...
CG42.png

<Celever> Awww, come on, don't start crying. Live as long as you can, as happily as you can. *disappears into the gate*
<SM> Celever!! D:​

With the gate closed and our mission complete, we turned our back on the ruins and headed out into the fresh air and sunshine.

<Vom> That smells nice.
<Skyleaf> I never thought I would see the sun again... ;~;
<NotJim> SM... you'll come home with me, won't you?
<SM> Yes, that would make me happy. <3
CG44.png

<Green> And what about you, sweet thing?
<Robin> Eeep!
CG56.png

One year later...

<Green> *looking fancy as hell* Oh, hey Athena! Glad you were able to come.
<Athena> Yes, well, it's just a quick visit to say goodbye.
<Green> Goodbye? Don't tell me you're leaving so soon?
<Athena> Well, I don't have any more battles to strategize here, do I? I think I'll travel around for a bit. I heard Ylisse is nice this time of year. But I heard about your coronation, so I thought now would be a good time to pop in and see everyone one last time.
<Green> Yeah... now that word of Lord Icarus's death has spread, it's time for me to step up to the throne and become Marquess Ostia. Doesn't really seem fitting for me, does it?
<Athena> Oh, I think you'll be a fine ruler.
<Green> Heh, well, Icarus let me run around and do my own thing a lot. I'm really going to need to buckle down and get serious if I hope to live up to his example. In fact, I plan on succeeding him in everything if I possibly can. It'll be difficult work, but I have good people with me to help.
<Robin> *enters* Lord Hector, I... oh, hello Athena. It's good to see you.
<Green> She's not staying long, though. Some friend, eh?
<Robin> Oh, I see. Well, uh... I... we.... *blushes*
<Green> Come on, you can say it.
<Robin> Oh, o-okay... I... well... *blushes*
<Green> *chuckles* Athena, we have a favour to ask of you. This is a bit premature I suppose, but... would you be the godmother of our first child?
<Robin> Please... Green and I... we never would have met if it weren't for you.
<Athena> Oh! I'd be honoured to. :3
<Green> If the kid's a boy, I want to name him Icarus. I'll teach him how to fight and be strong! He and NotJim's son can fight together just like we did when we were kids.
<Robin> And if it's a girl... I guess we'll figure it out when the time comes.
<Green> Athena... do you remember Athos's final words to us? I sealed Armads away again, but... I can still feel its power pulsing... I do really feel that another war is coming, a terrible war... but I hope that when it happens, you'll be here to guide my children and me.
CG59.png

<Green> We'll meet again. I'm sure of it.​

THE END!

Final Team!

Lord Green
- Lv. 20 Great Lord
Luis - Lv. 19 Sage
Skyleaf - Lv. 19 Valkyrie
BB - Lv. 20 Blade Lord
TGK - Lv. 20 Paladin
Jabber - Lv. 20 Hero
PP - Lv. 19 Bishop
Celever - Lv. 20 Dancer
Vom - Lv. 20 Nomad Trooper

Character Endings:

Luis - Studious Mage
Luis returned to Etruria with Lord Pent and Lady Louise. Pent asked him to stay on as his successor, but Luis refused, since that seemed like way too much work and bother. Instead he left and continued studying magic, freeloading along the way.

Skyleaf & TGK - Star-Crossed Lovers
Skyleaf and TGK said goodbyes and went their separate ways, she to Etruria and her adoptive family, he back to Caelin with the others. However, when Caelin was ceded to Ostian control, TGK took this opportunity to leave the knighthood. He left for Etruria and eloped with Skyleaf to lands unknown.

PP and Jabber - Mercenaries of the Light
After the conflict was ended, Jabber told Green the full story of his past. Green offered to help rebuild his room, but he refused, and instead he and PP left together to return to the life of wandering mercenaries. Although still opposed to conflict, PP was glad to see his friends heart lightened.

Celever - Child of Destiny
Celever went back through the Dragon's Gate at the end of the final battle. Come on, you guys all saw it. Who knows what he's getting up to over on the other side. Probably some kind of dragon shenanigans.

Cypher - Wandering Knight
Cypher didn't want to return to Bern, so he decided to head up to Ilia and become a mercenary. Thanks to the skills he gained during the war, he was highly successful and became both rich and famous.

BB & Vom - Noble Wolves of Sacae
When BB's grandfather died, BB asked Ostia to take Caelin under its protection, and then left to go back home to Sacae with Vom. They married and lived happily on the plains, together with their young daughter.

NotJim & SM - A Brief, Passionate Love
NotJim and SM were wed shortly after the conflict ended. SM was happy to give up her old world to share a brief, but warm and loving life with her love. Together, they had a son named Roy, who will probably grow up to be some kind of fancy SSB fighter or something.

Green & Robin - Athena's OTP
With Lord Icarus's death, it was up to Green to take the throne. He worked hard to be an enlightened and just ruler, together with his beloved Robin. They had a baby girl together, not a boy, much to Green's lament.

Athena - Famed Genius
Awww yeah I get my own ending. Except it doesn't really say anything except about how I disappeared and was never found again so that's kind of boring. 0/10 ending, would not read again.

Player Notes - Final Chapter

Merlinus's farewell is actually very sweet in game. He actually wants to come with to the final battle and begs you not to send him away. Green gives him a letter of introduction so that he can find good work in Ostia, and he ends up leaving very reluctantly.

Oh god, I was so pissed off when I saw that Druid with the Berserk staff because I didn't bring any recovery staves at all and there's no Merlinus so no convoy. Argleblargle. TGK did spend one round berserked and his attacked Celever, managed to hit him, and brought him down to 2hp. That's the only time Celever or SM has ever been successfully damaged by an attack ever in the whole game.

Keeper's death line is a direct quote from the game except for one specific part that is like 99.999% likely to be a translation error that I've changed because it doesn't make any sense. The part where he says "Aenir" is actually translated as "Quintessence", and the two are very similar in Japanese (aegir is the word used for quintessence). But considering that this line is only unlocked if you do the sidequests and learn about the relationship between Keeper, SM, Celever, and Aenir, and Keeper's mindset is definitely one of confusing, questioning his life's choices.

The entire point of these sidequests, culminating in this final ending scene, is to dive into Keeper's backstory and motivations. It's heavily implied (though never outright stated) that Keeper and Aenir (a dragon) were married and that Celever and SM are children they had together. SM's flashback scene shows a totally normal Keeper telling the children that he's going to rescue their mother and tells them to flee into the Gate. Although not known for sure AFAIK, it's believed that Keeper originally wanted to gather power to rescue his wife, and later to open the gate and get his children back.

And so it's totally dumb to think that he would talk about "quintessence" at such a time, instead of having the last shreds of sanity left over in his mind reach out to the wife and mother of his children that he lost so long ago before he was consumed by darkness.

Anyway, the level itself was mostly fairly except for stupid TGK getting berserked. Every enemy was defeated in a single round, even Keeper and even the final Dragony boss.

Final Thoughts

Blazing Sword is one of my top FE games. The plot isn't anything stellar, but there's lots of awesome characterization, not only of the main lords, but the villains and even random side characters like Nino. There's a lot of depth to explore. The gameplay is also very solid for an FE game, with only a few real downsides. It was a blast to play again, and I hope you all enjoyed reading along with me. :)

Stay tuned for the, uh, sequel that was actually made first, Fire Emblem 6: Binding Blade!

Castle Ostia, 15 years later...

<Green> *now with beard!* Thanks for coming, NotJim.
<NotJim> *still a Disney Princess* Happy to come, Green. :3
<Green> The first time since my brother's funeral, what's that... 15 years ago now?
<NotJim> Yeah, it says so in the little intro bit.
<Green> And look at us! We're both old men now.
<NotJim> Time sure does fly, doesn't it? That mess with Keeper all those years ago... man, it just feels like yesterday.
<Green> That it does... say, is that your boy over there?
<NotJim> Yep! Hey, Roy, come on over and say hello to your Uncle Green!
<Roy> Hey, 'sup?
<Green> Nice to meet you, kid. I guess you want to meet me daughter then too, eh? Hey, Lilina!
<Lilina> ... :3
<Green> Are you feeling shy today? Come on, no need to be nervous.
<NotJim> Hello, Lilina.
<Lilina> Nice to meet you. :3
<Roy> Let's be friends!
<Lilina> Kay. Let's go play! *runs off*
CG50.png

<NotJim> You know, I didn't necessarily mean to talk business, but I heard the King of Bern died rather suddenly.
<Green> Mhm. According to one of my spies, he was killed during an assassination attempt on Prince Zephiel.
<NotJim> Huh, that's weird.
<Green> Yeah, it's a strange story. First the word was that the prince himself was killed, but that later turned out to be false and that it was the king who died.
<NotJim> You remember Athos's warning, don't you? Is something bad going down in Bern?
<Green> I don't know. But for the sake of our children’s futures, I’ll stop anything that may happen. I’ll sacrifice my life to make it so.
<NotJim> "Once again, Lycia brings hope." …If that turns out to be wrong? No. It must happen…​

Meanwhile, in Bern...

CG53.png

<HoodedMan> For what reason have you awakened a demon dragon?
CG54.png

<Zephiel> And who are you supposed to be?
<HoodedMan> ... Dragon.
CG55.png

CG60.png

Skyleaf and TGK said goodbyes and went their separate ways, she to Etruria and her adoptive family, he back to Caelin with the others. However, when Caelin was ceded to Ostian control, TGK took this opportunity to leave the knighthood. He left for Etruria and eloped with Skyleaf to lands unknown.
"TGK!!"
*huggles* "I haven't seen you since that day! I've missed you so much!" ;-;

I kind of cobbled together the ending based on some of TGK's other endings and my own talents of making crap up. I like it.

Back