Are We Alone?

Do you think that there are extraterrestrial life out there?

• Total voters
Pokequaza said:
What is the proof of aliens visiting us? There is simply no proof. Personal experiences don't count as valuable proof. People get a nightmare and the next day they wake up and claiming aliens have used him/her for tests. Or people claiming they have contact with aliens, what have these people smoked these days? xD

What exactly is your definition of "visiting us"? Obviously, abductions can't really be counted as proof, even though there are some pretty convincing stories that I've heard. However, if we're talking about sightings of extraterrestrial ships, that's another story. The shear number of UFO sightings is just unbelievable. Are most of them frauds? Probably, but you've got to think that at least one of them is real.

And yes, you indeed sound like a stupid kid who believes everything he sees on tv. Don't believe the tv, it's the most unreliable source for information. Not only that, everything is facilitated so the average citizen is able to understand it. Seriously, search for your own evidence instead of relying on tv.

What would you have us research then? The internet provides a pretty large database of alien sightings, of which at least some would be deemed credible. You seem to have a very closed mind. If you think about the statistics here, it's highly plausible that people have caught UFOs on video.

To everyone who does believe aliens have visited us; give me any valuable evidence of aliens have visited the Earth. Also resources please. And you'll see there is no evidence.

As previously stated, it's all in the numbers. There is plenty of evidence out there, most probably fake, but with the sheer number of them, there's gotta be at least a couple that are real.

CCloud said:
Why do people even care? We have other things to worry about.
Well some people are curious like scientists :p
Its pretty fun to talk about it.

Limitless said:
What exactly is your definition of "visiting us"? Obviously, abductions can't really be counted as proof, even though there are some pretty convincing stories that I've heard. However, if we're talking about sightings of extraterrestrial ships, that's another story. The shear number of UFO sightings is just unbelievable. Are most of them frauds? Probably, but you've got to think that at least one of them is real.

Why would be some real? If there are alot fake, all of them could be fake as well. UFO's started appearing after the ''space race'' (y'know after first man in space, first moonlanding etc etc). This is obviously the reason of all these hoaxes. Also alot of Sci-fi movies were made, people were inlfuenced by them and so this all started. Also can you give my any reason 99% of the UFO sightings appear in the USA?

What would you have us research then? The internet provides a pretty large database of alien sightings, of which at least some would be deemed credible. You seem to have a very closed mind. If you think about the statistics here, it's highly plausible that people have caught UFOs on video.

Well, I wouldn't consider myself close minded. I'm just skeptical. Why would I believe arguements where obviously is no valuable evidence for avaible? And I did search on the internet alot. And no, I have never found any evidence which support UFO visits/sightings. That's why I'm asking all of you.

As previously stated, it's all in the numbers. There is plenty of evidence out there, most probably fake, but with the sheer number of them, there's gotta be at least a couple that are real.

Just because there is alot (so called) ''evidence'' for it doesn't mean at least some of it must be true. That's something I would call close minded, just simply accepting things, because.. well uhm.. why not?

Still, I haven't seen any evidence supporting UFO visits/sightings.

Even if I were to give you footage of UFOs that professionals couldn't find any faults with, you'd still say it's a fraud. No matter what evidence we throw at you, you'll assume it's circumstantial. That's close minded.

And, how in the world is believing in statistics close minded? There are most likely millions upon millions of reports of extraterrestrials. Is it that hard to believe that even one is real? It's called common sense.

Pokequaza said:
UFO's started appearing after the ''space race'' (y'know after first man in space, first moonlanding etc etc). This is obviously the reason of all these hoaxes. Also alot of Sci-fi movies were made, people were inlfuenced by them and so this all started. Also can you give my any reason 99% of the UFO sightings appear in the USA?

I saw a whole hour-long documentary on the History Channel about evidence of aliens visiting and even contacting ancient human civilizations.

Of all UFO sightings, only a very, very, very small percentage comes from amateur astronomers, yet these are the dudes who stare at the sky on pretty much every clear sky of the year, weird, isn't it?
The sky's filled with a lot of weird stuff, and if you don't know what you're looking at, you might be inclined to say it was a UFO, especially if you've been influenced by the media and whatnot. Now, of course amateur astronomers know what they're supposed to be looking at, but farmer Bob who looks up and sees a weird red light might assume aliens are trying to probe him. And aside from that, there's probably quite a few hoaxes as well.

But even without considering the fact that pretty much no amateur astronomer has ever seen a UFO, the odds against alien life visiting us are still negligible.
1st of all, alien life would have to exist, which is very much possible. 2nd of all, it'd have to be intelligent, which is likely as well. 3th of all, this intelligent life would have live pretty closeby, which seems a lot less likely. 4th of all, it would have to have developed pretty advanced spaceflight, which is even less likely. 5th of all, it would need to be able to travel pretty large distances with their spacecrafts, which is even more unlikely. 6th of all, they're have to know where to look, either by locating other intelligent life or by tracing our radio signals, the further away from us they are, the less likely this is, but as a whole this is quite unlikely.
Now, of course, this is all kind of slightly possible in a way, but consider this: why in the world would they come here, make sure absolutely nobody except for some wackos sees them, maybe examine some of them, and fly away again? If they'd, out of all the other planets, pick this one, it would probably be because of us, so why would they just blatantly ignore us, or even worse, hide from us for no apparent reason?

I think it's far more logical to assume that alien sightings are either lies, imagined, hallucinated or just the cause of people not understanding the cosmos.

Are we alone in the universe, though? Probably not, but intelligent life might be few and far inbetween. Space is a very big place, put also very empty. It takes the light from the sun almost 4 and a half years to travel to our nearest neighbours, even if we'd be able to travel at 1/10th the speed of light (which would be quite an accomplishment) it would still take us 45 years to get these, but that's just the nearest stars, and the odds of there being intelligent life, let alone any life at all there, are slim. The odds of encountering intelligent life, especially in our lifetime, or even the lifetime of our species, are very low, so don't count on ever seeing them, but this doesn't mean they're not there, trying to find us as well...

Pokequaza said:
What is the proof of aliens visiting us? There is simply no proof. Personal experiences don't count as valuable proof. People get a nightmare and the next day they wake up and claiming aliens have used him/her for tests. Or people claiming they have contact with aliens, what have these people smoked these days? xD

And yes, you indeed sound like a stupid kid who believes everything he sees on tv. Don't believe the tv, it's the most unreliable source for information. Not only that, everything is facilitated so the average citizen is able to understand it. Seriously, search for your own evidence instead of relying on tv.

Ice Arceus said:
I really do think there is life outside of our Earth. I like to research about these things. There are millions of planets, and the possibilities are high that life does exist. We can't be the only ones, they're probably different from us. The only problem is that scientists haven't really found life because they could be living millions of light years away on a planet that the scientists cannot spot. It is pretty hard to spot life in different galaxies. Also many people have spotted UFOs in the Earth, some might be fake of course but I believe that something might be in it. They are probably seeing how we live. The military is hiding something from us in Area 51.
Ohh man... Why's everyone suspicious about the military? They might've hidden some things to us, but trust me, they aren't talking with aliens or whatever you're thinking. It's logical the military is hiding alot of stuff, like with the Roswell incident. The military just testing out some of their new inventions, and of course they want to keep it secret so other countries can't copy theirs.

To everyone who does believe aliens have visited us; give me any valuable evidence of aliens have visited the Earth. Also resources please. And you'll see there is no evidence.

I'm semi-siding with pokequaza on this.

On the contact with aliens part. I do believe that it was a possibility. I am very interested in the ancient astronaut theory. For example, how some bricks where cut perfectly precise within millimeters. Not only that how they where fit together like puzzle pieces with not a single ounce of planning/ blueprints. However, I can only go on what we currently know, jumping to conclusions and simply believing in something because it is "the only way" or the "Best explanation" gets you nowhere.

--
UFO's are a good distraction for defense contractors to develop their secret weapons, projects, etc. We can be very irrational in explaining what something is. We once believed that there where spheres around the planet stars contained the visible planets, stars etc. Everything has changed.

It all comes down to our current definition of "life". We can only base our knowledge off of what we can observe. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a Drifblim type creature on some methane filled planet.

Fermi Paradox for the win.

Well, if there were carbon-based life forms on other planets it would be helpful once we finish strangling this planet into dust. We'd have to move, so that would be a useful point to start at.

SPOON WINS AGAIN EVERYONE STOP POSTING

Limitless said:
Even if I were to give you footage of UFOs that professionals couldn't find any faults with, you'd still say it's a fraud. No matter what evidence we throw at you, you'll assume it's circumstantial. That's close minded.

Who says? You're just assuming that, after all I still haven't seen any evidence so it's hard for you to tell I won't believe.

And, how in the world is believing in statistics close minded? There are most likely millions upon millions of reports of extraterrestrials. Is it that hard to believe that even one is real? It's called common sense.

Read Spoon's post. I agree with him.

Even then, common sense isn't the way to decide something to be true or not. For example, 2000 years ago the majority, well let's say almost everyone, believed the Earth was a flat plate. It was all ''logical'' because since it was flat, we couldn't fall off. These people back then called this ''common sense''. Living on a sphere? Pfff, who would think of that? Anyway, even though almost anyone at that time believed this, it doesn't mean it was the truth.

''There were most likely millions upon millions people who believed the Earth was flat. Is it that hard to believe that it is real? It's called common sense.''

I did some research and found that not only could we just not be looking hard enough, but other life could be underground. My proof is that there are some bacteria on our planet that can live thousands of feet underground. If they can, something else can.

There's a difference between sightings and common belief. I partially agree with Spoon, though, so I digress.

ArceusShayminLovr said:
I did some research and found that not only could we just not be looking hard enough, but other life could be underground. My proof is that there are some bacteria on our planet that can live thousands of feet underground. If they can, something else can.
"Proof" is a mathematical word. Not that your "proof" even comes close to the mathematical definition, though. Sounds like a rather huge leap from "stuff can survive underground" to "there are aliens underground". I think the word you're looking for is "blind speculation".

About the ancient astronauts "theory": ...
There's quite a few things wrong with this. 1st of all, we'd have to find some very clear evidence of alien-looking creatures in ancient mythology, yet what we find is a lot of anthropomorphic gods, usually with some animal characteristics (crocodile head or the tail of a cow or whatever), completely unlike what aliens would probably look like. These gods also seem to control specific elements of nature we now know are caused by purely natural events (lightning, rain, famine, etc.). This all sounds a lot like people trying to explain the absurdities of nature through human-like interference rather than aliens visiting us.
Other questions which arise include: why are all the gods all over the world so very different? And where are these aliens now? Why would they suddenly have left, since they've been here for a pretty long time? How did they get here in the 1st place and why? What's the point of coming here if it's just to delude people into thinking natural events are of supernatural origin? Why would they require these weird rituals? And why did they teach us little more than how to make perfect cubes out of rock? and so on, and so on.

These hypotheses, popularized by people like Erich von Däniken, usually have no scientific merit and seem like silly attempts to somehow still validate the belief in extraterrestrial visitors, usually by claiming either natural events or human knowledge are the result of alien interactions. To me it just sounds like a huge underestimation of human capabilities as well as an ignorance of the natural world.

It's a bit iffy to consider other life on other planets. And by life I mean "intelligent life", because many planets can sustain extremophiles as they are so called (I bet I butchered that spelling). Obviously for life beyond bacteria, there have to be certain conditions met, such as a very specific distance from a star. Earth is snugly inside the inner and outer limits of the possible distances for a planet to be able to sustain life. And while there are thousands upon thousands of planets and stars...the conditions are so specific that it is very sell possible we are the only "life" in this universe.

I don't think there is life on other planets cuz if earth was one inch foward from where it is now it would burn one inch back and it would freeze don't think any other planet is that unique. If you don't believe me whatever I don't wanna put up with it so don't bother

Rock Wrecker said:
I don't think there is life on other planets cuz if earth was one inch foward from where it is now it would burn one inch back and it would freeze don't think any other planet is that unique. If you don't believe me whatever I don't wanna put up with it so don't bother

If you don't want to debate a point, you shouldn't post in threads like these, IMO. It's kind of pointless.

Rock Wrecker said:
You know that the Earth rotates the Sun in an ellipse, making its distance from the Sun vary way more than an inch, right?
And if Mars had a denser atmosphere, it would be able to hold liquid water, add some organic molecules and you've got the recipe for Earth-like life. And that's just our kind of life, and our solar system, there are billions upon billions of other stars in the universe, and each of them might have a planet like ours.

Don't make outrageous claims and then ignore the opposition, living under a rock isn't helping anyone.

I was watching this programme on TV the other day about infinity. It was trying to discuss whether the universe was infinite or not. If the universe WAS infinite, then it has scary consequences. Think about this:

There are only X amount of ways you can arrange the atoms of a person, and for that matter an entire planet, albeit this is an obscenely large number.

However when you're thinking about infinity then what does extremely large mean?

If the universe is truly always expanding, then there will HAVE to be repetitions of entire planets and people. Once all the atoms have been arranged in a certain way, if the universe is truly infinite, then somewhere else they will HAVE to be arranged in the same way once again - this is the concept that infinity brings. Basically, if something is infinite then it goes on forever, and if something is going on forever then eventually there will have to be a copy of something there was before, since there are only a certain amount of ways to arrange anything.

We don't know if it is possible to have other life forms out there, but we know that if the universe truly is infinite, then there will be more humans out there. Identical copies of us, making exactly the same decisions. And somewhere else copies who made a slightly different decision. Hey, maybe one of my doubles didn't fail my French test last week.

Luckily we don’t actually know if the universe is truly infinite.

Yet.

I love reading through this entire thread and seeing alot of B/S. people saying the first UFO sightings weren't till after we made it to the moon? I'm sorry, but go look at the hieroglyphics and wall paintings from ancient civilizations, they all have made references to UFO's as well as Extraterrestrial beings. Now if you want something more, the first 2 astronauts on the moon were Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin, both have even come out as to saying seeing UFO's before even making it to the moon. Buzz also said that on the moon they saw a alien mining facility, and they were told to never come back to the moon. Now lets look, since 1969, that was our only long trip to the moon. Every other time we went up there, we were there for a few seconds, grabbed some rocks and left. Why is that? If theres nothing telling us not to be there, why wouldn't we stay?

NASA covers everything up, and thats a fact. The rover that originally captured the infamous picture of the face on mars. Hmmm, they kept saying that it wasn't real, same for the pyramids that are on mars. Then decades later they get more pictures and came out and said "see, told you nothing is there." Now the question is, why would they have to prove what they said earlier, they are the "experts" and we should believe them in th first place. But no, they went out of their way to say something. That just makes things sound a bit fishy to me.

Back