Any tips on how to organize a list of your cards in the trade area?

kfitch06

You want a piece of me?
I'm not exactly new to Pokemon card collecting - over the past 13 years or so, I've accumulated thousands of cards...which is exactly the problem. With the newer sets, I have no idea what's called what, as many times I haven't paid attention to the set title (silly me). Furthermore, with over 4,000 cards...how on Earth do you organize a list? It'd take me hours, as pretty much anything I have is up for trade, provided the right deal comes along. Any advice is much appreciated!

I'd reccommend you put spoiler tags in for sure

Code:
[spoiler]Insert Stuff Here[/spoiler]
, and not list uncommons and commons that aren't hard to find or 1st ed. I wouldn't list UC/C from 2004-2009.

Spoiler tags are used to diminish the length of your thread for viewers.

Most traders I see on here like to list it this way:

They're obviously going to list their Wants either at the beginning or the end of their OP (original post). Then, for the haves:

First, their Primes / FAs (Full Arts) / Maybe LV.Xs and Reprints / Secret Rares

Then, they'll list anything notable that is HGSS-on, like good Holos and other playable cards, and then the T/S/S. This is probably the faster way, since it is easier for people to see what they need in the Modified Format.

or

They'll list their cards by set (plus T/S/S). This is usually the more elaborate way, since more players can check in on what cards you do have and which ones you don't. This method leads to less asking of if they need a certain card.

This is the general way I see lists on the Trading Corner currently, so it would be good for you to use one of these methods. I use the first method myself, since I don't mind checking my stuff. If you don't like checking your supplies often, listing by set is the better idea.

Hope this helped.

Another thing you can do is list by set, and then have T/S at the end. Then, if someone doesn't know what set a trainer is from, they can still find it. If you list by set, you should also bold the good cards, such as any ex, Lv.X, prime, etc.

Listing by set is convenient for collectors. Is there a preferred method for players?

If you put the Ultra Rares in the beginning, list by set, and put Trainers at the end, I think everyone would be happy.

I think the most useful way to organize it would be by set (in chronological order, newest to oldest), and then by card number within that set. If you're looking for a specific card, the card number and set number is easy to find online, so that would help a lot. It would actually make it easier to organize the cards as well, because after they're organized by set, you can just find the numbers and put them in order that way.

I wouldn't take Primes/Super Rares/TSS away from the rest of the set; that just seems too messy.

glaceon said:
If you put the Ultra Rares in the beginning, list by set, and put Trainers at the end, I think everyone would be happy.
SHSOAddict said:
Try organizing by type Fire,Psychic, Etc...

As a collector, I don't even look at lists organized this way.

I think I'm just going to start with the Black and White sets for now. They're the newest and most valuable at the moment, and seem to be what everyone's looking for. Plus I have more duplicates than I know what do with from those sets...I don't know what it is about them. Seriously, I have 7 holo Krookodiles, etc.

omahanime said:
As a collector, I don't even look at lists organized this way.

As a player, I only look at lists that way.

Whatever you do, don't make 2 categories "Pokemon" "Trainers/Energy" and endlessly list all the cards you have under those 2 categories.

Back