Ancient Origins [8/15, aka Bandit Ring]

I like the artworks. I think the regular Tyranitar looks cute and happy and M-Tyranitar looks cool as well. However, I will say that they definitely aren't the best EX-artwork I've seen, but I have seen worse (regular Emolga, XY anyone?)

This is the third Mega to pretty much follow the tactic of "get 4 energy on it then blow stuff up and hope not to lose all 240HP". I mean really! P Groudon, M Aggron, and now this M T-Tar are almost freaking copies of each other. And the worst part is that only P Groudon is remotely competitive because he can just sit on bench. Either Pokemon is running out of ideas for Mega cards or they just like 4 energy cost.

The only way this thing could work is with Crobat line, or with HypnoLazor in expanded. It's kinda funny that his Ancient Trait makes him WORSE. I mean, you can potentially get 2 Head Ringers on you. You also pretty much NEED to have 2 tools on him or you'll be open to Head Ringer. Honestly the only tool I could think of being helpful for M T-Tar is the new Lucky Helmet, because in most cases it'll take 2 hits to kill of the 240HP, so that's 4 cards for free I guess. Overall this card is very meh, and I think even M Aggron is a better option than this thing. If you really wanna play a good tanky Mega just play P Groudon, at least it can sit on bench while it powers up. Plus it has Strong Energy and great back up Pokemon like Landorus and Hawlucha.

I love how everyone is complaining about how early XY had junky EX choices like Emolga and Toxicroak...

Despite this one.

And this one.

Don't forget this one either.

And why did they even do this one?

Your complaints are now invalid.

I'm not saying they are bad EX choices. I'm just saying the regular Emolga looks bad, as in it has bad artwork. I like the "random" choices that has been made, like I love how Seismitoad is such a thread competetively, when it is one of the "random" EXs. And yes those examples do also have bad artwork, but I can still complain about how some of the newer artworks kinda looks like they're from that time of the tcg.

Also I love Toxicroak EX and Emolga EX FA, they both look bomb.com.org.cl.uk :D

Last edited:
110+
20 (Golbat)
120 (for having 2 damage counters)
= 250, OHKO'ing everything currently legal in the game I believe?

Also, remember, this thing can use DCE and Mega Turbo.

Your Turn 1:
- Play Tyranitar-EX as active, attach Spirit Link so Head Ringer isn't attached, play Dark Energy
- Bench Zubat

Your Turn 2:
- Evolve to M Tyranitar-EX , attach preferred item (Hard Charm, generally), Play DCE, play Mega Turbo
- Evolve to Golbat
- Lysandre something up and kill something

Personally, I will probably be running soemthing like...
1 Weakness Policy (for the few Lucario/Groudon/Medicham decks out there)
2 Hard Charm (for ShayQuaza decks)
2 Exp. Share (so when an active Tyranitar-EX / M Tyranitar-EX dies, one of its energy will transfer over)
3-4 Tyranitar Spirit Link (obvious reasons)

Gonna hate the heavy tool lineup, but if I don't don't take advantage of Θ Double, my opponent's Head Ringers will.

I think saiscott has a few ideas here. Exp. Share looks like a very viable option, potentially allowing you to get up to two energy moved after the death, so if M-Tyranitar somehow gets KOd quickly, you already have quickly powered up Pokemon. Baby Yveltal can also be used, and if you want, you could continuously use Yveltal EX's Y Cyclone whenever you can't take a 1-hit KO to power up M-Tyranitars. But tbh, once Mega-TT gets set up, there's going to be a lot of difficulty stopping him, unlike M-Aggron, who can be stopped purely to luck.

If you go the TTar/bats route, you only need to go 4-4 Golbat in order to KO most anything.

Saves a bunch of Crobat space.

I did kind of ramble hahaha to put it simply i was just countering your opinion on the matter by basically saying that if they were to make all uncommons full arts than the whole point of the collectibility , value and rarity would go out the window.

That isn't what I was saying. -_-

I was saying that higher rarity cards should be used for things like Full Arts; cards that are just alternate treatment of other cards (not necessarily cards from the same set). Nor was I stating that every Uncommon should get a Full Art rarity counterpart.

Last edited:
This is the third Mega to pretty much follow the tactic of "get 4 energy on it then blow stuff up and hope not to lose all 240HP". I mean really! P Groudon, M Aggron, and now this M T-Tar are almost freaking copies of each other. And the worst part is that only P Groudon is remotely competitive because he can just sit on bench. Either Pokemon is running out of ideas for Mega cards or they just like 4 energy cost.

The only way this thing could work is with Crobat line, or with HypnoLazor in expanded. It's kinda funny that his Ancient Trait makes him WORSE. I mean, you can potentially get 2 Head Ringers on you. You also pretty much NEED to have 2 tools on him or you'll be open to Head Ringer. Honestly the only tool I could think of being helpful for M T-Tar is the new Lucky Helmet, because in most cases it'll take 2 hits to kill of the 240HP, so that's 4 cards for free I guess. Overall this card is very meh, and I think even M Aggron is a better option than this thing. If you really wanna play a good tanky Mega just play P Groudon, at least it can sit on bench while it powers up. Plus it has Strong Energy and great back up Pokemon like Landorus and Hawlucha.
The thing with Groudon is you actually don't need attackers while you power him up. Someone reached top 8 at UK Nationals with a strange deck built around Primal Groudon. No Landorus or Hawlucha. Just Regirock (XY promo), Sigilyph and Robo Substitute.

I'm really glad people are finally starting to see the trend of EX artwork (done by Yoshinob and 5ban anyways) is becoming piss poor. I feel like most of my preaching was just immediately validated by the T-Tar EX reveal and as one poster put it "GOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAALLLL!"
I have to disagree with you and a bunch of people who are so nostalgic for 1995 CGI graphics.

Just because this set's artwork looks bad, (yes, I'm looking at you normal paper drawn cards and the most EXs shown so far) doesn't make EX artwork look bad. Well ok, I'm lying only the FAs (except Seismitoad) look horrible. I love the art on my Shaymin EX. Or my Primal Groudon EX. Seismitoad EX. COBALION EX. MY FAVOURITE MANECTRIC EX!

"I'm glad people are finally" perhaps you should have reworded your statement to "nostalgic people like me". Because saying the current CGI/designs look bad is a sign you're on the hate bandwagon that everyone loves to riding on. Enjoy the sights of the city you're riding in. Mean while the rest of us enjoy our Manectric EX, Genesect EX, Dialga EX, Jirachi EX, M Rayquaza (regular art amazing), M Aggron, M Sceptile, M Manectric, M Latios, M Absol, Thundurus and Tornadus artwork. All but Manectric were by 5BAN Graphics.

Last edited:
I love how everyone is complaining about how early XY had junky EX choices like Emolga and Toxicroak...

Despite this one.

And this one.

Don't forget this one either.

And why did they even do this one?

Your complaints are now invalid.

Are you also critiquing art? If you are, keep in mind that in some cases a particular style or even holographic background might have been seen as "fancier" back then, but you can disregard the rest of this.

Most of those - while not good - were hopefuls based on "up sizing" previous successful versions of those cards. Keeping the same order we have

This one was one of the first successful walls.

This one was special because it was the only non-Basic with Safeguard.

This one was one of the few successful Stage 1 cards for the Pre-Modified format.

As was this one.

Again, if we are talking about art, never mind. ^^'

If you go the TTar/bats route, you only need to go 4-4 Golbat in order to KO most anything.

Saves a bunch of Crobat space.
Honestly, I think taking out Crobats might hurt the consistency in damage. I can see running less being fine though, but not completely taking them out. One of the fun things on Crobat is being able to AZ it up and put that Golbat/Crobat on top of another Zubat/Golbat. Stuff like that wont happen as much with just Zubats and Golbats, I think (I could be wrong?). But if you're not gonna run AZ or Super Scoop Up, I guess just the Zubats+Golbats could be fine, maybe?

I could see the deck running 3-3-2 for crobat lines. this takes up just as much space as 4-4 golbats you mentioned. This along with 3-3 M Tyranitar-EX would only total 14 spaces which is nice. Let's be honest, no one is likely to use all 4 M Tyranitar EX's anyway. Plus if you open a Zubat as active, as long as the opponent doesn't kill it, it'll have free retreat as a Golbat anyway. If one is afraid of that, I think 16 is the max amount of Pokémon most would run anyway, so doing a 4-4 M Tyranitar-EX line should still work.

Also, I think people are thinking about the items wrong. Just my opinion, sorry if it offends anyone. First of all, you're gonna take up more deck space with Tool Retriever. Think of Θ Double as making up for being forced to run Spirit Links by giving you that 1 item spot on your Mega back. Don't think of it as a way to run more tools, because you don't need more.

We only have so many tools to run. Muscle Band? After a Golbat, M Tyranitar-EX one-shots anything, minus those 240 HP Megas/Primals with Hard Charms. Muscle Band is mostly a waste in this deck when you can generally just play another bat. Let's say you already have a Golbat (and killed whatever you damaged), and you put a Crobat on top of it to damage the next active. Now you have 30, +110 for M Tyranitar-EX's base power. +60*3 for its effect. Now you're hitting for 420.So why muscle band?

Hard Charm is my first option to live attacks from Colorless M Rayquaza-EX, and turn some 2HKO's into 3HKO's. Weakness Policy can be used at 1 if you're fearing something like Primal Groudon-ex, if your meta has that. Then Exp. Share will help set up your second M Tyranitar-EX when the first dies.

Honestly, I think taking out Crobats might hurt the consistency in damage. I can see running less being fine though, but not completely taking them out. One of the fun things on Crobat is being able to AZ it up and put that Golbat/Crobat on top of another Zubat/Golbat. Stuff like that wont happen as much with just Zubats and Golbats, I think (I could be wrong?). But if you're not gonna run AZ or Super Scoop Up, I guess just the Zubats+Golbats could be fine, maybe?

I could see the deck running 3-3-2 for crobat lines. this takes up just as much space as 4-4 golbats you mentioned. This along with 3-3 M Tyranitar-EX would only total 14 spaces which is nice. Let's be honest, no one is likely to use all 4 M Tyranitar EX's anyway. Plus if you open a Zubat as active, as long as the opponent doesn't kill it, it'll have free retreat as a Golbat anyway. If one is afraid of that, I think 16 is the max amount of Pokémon most would run anyway, so doing a 4-4 M Tyranitar-EX line should still work.

Also, I think people are thinking about the items wrong. Just my opinion, sorry if it offends anyone. First of all, you're gonna take up more deck space with Tool Retriever. Think of Θ Double as making up for being forced to run Spirit Links by giving you that 1 item spot on your Mega back. Don't think of it as a way to run more tools, because you don't need more.

We only have so many tools to run. Muscle Band? After a Golbat, M Tyranitar-EX one-shots anything, minus those 240 HP Megas/Primals with Hard Charms. Muscle Band is mostly a waste in this deck when you can generally just play another bat. Let's say you already have a Golbat (and killed whatever you damaged), and you put a Crobat on top of it to damage the next active. Now you have 30, +110 for M Tyranitar-EX's base power. +60*3 for its effect. Now you're hitting for 420.So why muscle band?

Hard Charm is my first option to live attacks from Colorless M Rayquaza-EX, and turn some 2HKO's into 3HKO's. Weakness Policy can be used at 1 if you're fearing something like Primal Groudon-ex, if your meta has that. Then Exp. Share will help set up your second M Tyranitar-EX when the first dies.

The reason you need Crobat in standard bat decks is to get the damage up. However, when TTar is roflstomping its way through enemies, no consistency is lost through getting rid of Crobat.

If you're really worried about consistency, throw in a couple of Absol ROS to move counters around.

The thing with Groudon is you actually don't need attackers while you power him up. Someone reached top 8 at UK Nationals with a strange deck built around Primal Groudon. No Landorus or Hawlucha. Just Regirock (XY promo), Sigilyph and Robo Substitute.

I would love to see this deck list, anywhere I can find results or deck lists?

I'm thinking that forretress is a better option for this deck + the new grass stadium and maybe absol. You can run scoop up to use it on forretress, which can put the damage counters again thanks to the stadium, correct me if I'm wrong in something.

Are you also critiquing art? If you are, keep in mind that in some cases a particular style or even holographic background might have been seen as "fancier" back then, but you can disregard the rest of this.

Most of those - while not good - were hopefuls based on "up sizing" previous successful versions of those cards. Keeping the same order we have

This one was one of the first successful walls.

This one was special because it was the only non-Basic with Safeguard.

This one was one of the few successful Stage 1 cards for the Pre-Modified format.

As was this one.

Again, if we are talking about art, never mind. ^^'

All your notes make perfect sense. Honeslty, I was kind of digressing with my initial post, as I meant that many people complained that Emolga and Toxicroak and lots of other choices were lame Pokemon to be given the status of 'EX'. I was just making a point that odd Pokemon choices for EX's were already a thing because SERIOUSLY. Who gives Mr Mime an EX? While we're at it, why don't we just release a Delibird-EX?

I'm really glad people are finally starting to see the trend of EX artwork (done by Yoshinob and 5ban anyways) is becoming piss poor. I feel like most of my preaching was just immediately validated by the T-Tar EX reveal and as one poster put it "GOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAALLLL!"

I would love to see this deck list, anywhere I can find results or deck lists?
Yes here it is
http://www.Google.net/en/expert-blog/user/620/article/282

Well I imagine their intent was for people to start running higher counts of Startling Megaphone in response to Theta-Double pokemon so this card is a great management item in an LTC-less format.

I can't imagine people running more than 1 of this card in their decks however. It looks pretty silly too.

First Entei and now this? Tool Drop is most definitely making a comeback

Back