Ancient Origins [8/15, aka Bandit Ring]

T-Tar EX and Mega T-Tar EX. It's it just me or does the ability to attach two items to an EX seem like a target to get Head Ringered twice? I mean, Now you HAVE to put two items on the guy other wise you're at least going to get one Head Ringer for sure. If they have a Megaphone... they'll chunk your Spirit Link and throw two Head Ringers on. Ouch.

Ah, called it! Theta Double on Mega Tyranitar...
The artworks are really terrible, seriously, I think I actually hate Yoshinob's artworks... there's till hope for the FAs though...
The regular EX is bad, unusual for a Tyranitar card but that's obviously because they made the Mega such a monster. That attack! 60 more damage for each damage counter is just... The potential to damage overkill is so high, I'm doing evil laughs on my mind...

Now, I'm also wondering if Mega Ampharos will have a third theta trait or if it will be one of the 2 we know about...

As for M T-Tar EX, I'm not saying it's bad by any means.. just that I think it would have been better without the Ancient Trait. Just an opinion mind you, but it's just an issue I think will be prevelant given the current lock heavy atmosphere of the meta.

YOOOOOOOO. That is a TON of damage.
Not like this is very likely at all to happen, but if up against a Mega Venusaur with 4 benched Floette with 30 damage counters on the Venusaur, that adds up to 1800 extra damage from Destroyer King.

And I remember when I was happy with the damage output of Tyranitar from Stormfront. I hate to be 'that guy', but maaan, times have changed.

Actually, yes.

As for M T-Tar EX, I'm not saying it's bad by any means.. just that I think it would have been better without the Ancient Trait. Just an opinion mind you, but it's just an issue I think will be prevelant given the current lock heavy atmosphere of the meta.

Completely agree with you , and with cards like vileplume and M Sceptile in this set its hard to see mega ttar as playable card.
He is just way to expensive and slow lol

YOOOOOOOO. That is a TON of damage.
Not like this is very likely at all to happen, but if up against a Mega Venusaur with 4 benched Floette with 30 damage counters on the Venusaur, that adds up to 1800 extra damage from Destroyer King.

And I remember when I was happy with the damage output of Tyranitar from Stormfront. I hate to be 'that guy', but maaan, times have changed.

Yea, the power is creeping faster and faster. Just look at Mew EX + Hollow Scream online. If you can pull it off that's 50x the damage on Mew EX. If Mew EX has 40 damage on it that's 200. If your Mew is down to 10 HP you're hitting for 5500...

I'd just like to point out that everyone thought that M Aggron was going to be an insane card that blew everything else out of the water, and look how much that was played even with the acceleration that Bronzong gives it. To be perfectly honest, I feel like this suffers a really harsh matchup to item lock, such as the ever-common Vileplume. It has no acceleration other than Mega Turbo, and it fights for four energy. I don't know exactly what's going to be out there, but it stands to reason that this will suffer a tough item lock match. Just my opinion, though, so maybe it's not as bad as I'm thinking, plus we don't know if there's going to be any other acceleration in this next set.

It's still really interesting, though, because it can hit some really silly numbers when free to play some Mega Turbos.

I just want to make an Expanded deck with this guy and BCR Vileplume so I can face a Chandelure EX or Gengar EX, put 160 on them and then hit for 38,840.

Completely agree with you kecleon-X, M aggron was super strong but never really took off (though not sure why especially with mega turbo). A lot of people seem to be forgetting that overkill damage doesn't help to win games. Still he is pretty strong, it just kind of bores me that his attack has such similar mechanics to cards that already exist in standard (M gallade and team magma's groudon EX).

110+
20 (Golbat)
120 (for having 2 damage counters)
= 250, OHKO'ing everything currently legal in the game I believe?

Also, remember, this thing can use DCE and Mega Turbo.

Your Turn 1:
- Play Tyranitar-EX as active, attach Spirit Link so Head Ringer isn't attached, play Dark Energy
- Bench Zubat

Your Turn 2:
- Evolve to M Tyranitar-EX , attach preferred item (Hard Charm, generally), Play DCE, play Mega Turbo
- Evolve to Golbat
- Lysandre something up and kill something

Personally, I will probably be running soemthing like...
1 Weakness Policy (for the few Lucario/Groudon/Medicham decks out there)
2 Hard Charm (for ShayQuaza decks)
2 Exp. Share (so when an active Tyranitar-EX / M Tyranitar-EX dies, one of its energy will transfer over)
3-4 Tyranitar Spirit Link (obvious reasons)

Gonna hate the heavy tool lineup, but if I don't don't take advantage of Θ Double, my opponent's Head Ringers will.

I'm really glad people are finally starting to see the trend of EX artwork (done by Yoshinob and 5ban anyways) is becoming piss poor. I feel like most of my preaching was just immediately validated by the T-Tar EX reveal and as one poster put it "GOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAALLLL!"

Artwork: Tyranitar EX looks bad. I think most people at this point can agree that something just seems really off about his overall look and his pose. If you were to try to capture the essence of Godzilla in an artwork, I don't think having Godzilla be super gleeful happy and running with stumpy legs is the best way to do it. Just really poor design decisions which I believe Yoshinob is known for at this point in time. 2/10

Card Text: Without the help of Yveltal (XY) this card would be bindered faster than Kyogre EX (DEX). 3 Energy for 60 (is actually pretty average for EX's, just look at Combustion Blast Charizard or Black Kyurem EX and for 4 energy (double colorless is T-Tar's friend) do 130 and then hurt your whole bench. This drawback isn't too bad but if you focus on using T-Tar EX (without mega evolving for some reason) you need to be vary weary of that damage building up and exploited by your opponents Absols, Bats, etc... 5/10

Overall: 3.5/10 Blegh artwork and a Pokemon that will only see use as a stepping stone to M-T-Tar EX

So lets move on to the main event M-Tyranitar EX:

Artwork: Wait, I said M-Tyranitar EX not regular T-t.... oh wait that is supposed to be M-Tyranitar. Despite the fact that 5ban decided to portrait M-Tyranitar as just a fat Tyranitar without any of the extra spike flair being visible (except a tiny bit of his main head spike) this art is just as bad as Yoshinob up there. The only redeeming quality is (and is the case with most mega EX's) is the attack name scrolled across "Destroyer King" truly defines what M-Tyranitar should be, if only this artwork did that justice. 3/10

Card Text: Ok, lets ignore the fact that against most EX's with lots of damage built up on them that you can potentially do 5000+ damage. This card will be very difficult to get into play and I see a lot players comparing it to P-Groudon EX. P-Groudon EX has Omega Barrier, which inhibits any attempt your opponent has to slow down his set up, M-Tyranitar EX has an extra tool slot that your opponent can exploit to slow you down even harder than other EX's. Bad Energy was made for M-Tyranitar EX which is what I figured earlier but even then its going to be a slow road to this powerhouse even with the help of Yveltal and Mega Turbo. Without LTC, you may not get a second or third chance to power up another M-Tyranitar EX even if you manage to power up the first one. The format isn't friendly for this type of Pokemon without the extra trainer protection that P-Groudon EX has. I do love the idea of hitting unnecessary amounts of damage though. 6/10

Overall: 4.5/10 If Tyranitar EX was any better, this card would have been too but alas, unless the format slows down significantly and Toad magically poofs out of existence, M-Tyranitar EX will be an ugly addition to anyones binder. I only hope the full art can make Mega Godzilla truly terrifying and the Destroyer King he deserves to be.

I agree about Tyranitar EX being a pretty lackluster card. Its attacks are very much like the non-EX legendaries (who only give up one prize), only slower it seems. M-Tyranitar, though, looks very impressive - but I agree with the "so does M-Aggron EX" comment (will it see play in reality?). It does have a lot of different strategies it can use, and my only addition to what's already been said is the usefulness of Tool Retriever (or Xerosic), particularly removing post-evolution spirit link and beefing him (or her) up even more. I wonder if there will be another/a new item or supporter that will help Tyranitar EX out...

Wow...the Mega is just as ugly. How tragic. Cool card tho, if you can set it up in time. I don't believe in any deity but I'm PRAYING that the full arts look better. And if they make Ampharos ugly, I'll sue.

Tyranitar EX is that bad in my opinion. Effectless 60 for 3 energy might be a bit weak but oh well. His second attack is okay though. Artwork is okay, nothing special but not that bad I think.

M. Tyranitar EX is cool. Not a bad attack I think, though it could be better too. The Theta trait helps a little, I wish we had Dark Claw still in format.

The Mega T-Tar could be playable, Theta Double means 2 Muscle Bands and another Pokemon to get some Damage on the defending Pokemon (Probably Gengar-EX) so if 3 damage counters = 180 + 110 base damage = 290 + 2 Muscle Bands = 40 + 290 = 330

Tyranitar EX is that bad in my opinion. Effectless 60 for 3 energy might be a bit weak but oh well. His second attack is okay though. Artwork is okay, nothing special but not that bad I think.

M. Tyranitar EX is cool. Not a bad attack I think, though it could be better too. The Theta trait helps a little, I wish we had Dark Claw still in format.
we do have Yvetal for acceleration, and dark for 30 isn't that bad also mega turbos are good acceleration

Last edited:
Well Θ Double isn't too bad of an effect, you can stick a couple of Muscle Bands on it to pump up the damage if you wish to sacrifice the Spirit Link, and it's attack isn't too bad, it can potentially one-shot most Pokémon EX if they have at least 10 or 20 damage on them.

That aside, Tyranitar EX could have been a teensy bit better ^^;

The one thing M TTar has over PGroudon is the fact it's DDCC not DDDC

That speeds things up massively as it amkes DCE viable with TTar.

Imagine PGroudon was compatible with DCE.

Back