Ancient Origins [8/15, aka Bandit Ring]

Otaku

The wise fool?
I was sure the special dark energy card wouldn't be like the original special darkness energy as some people thought but I was expecting it would have some disruption effect which is usually associated with darkness-type cards (something like "when you attach this energy, discard 1 card from you opponent's hand" with or without looking, wtv is more balanced), not this... kinda meh...

I hear ya; people have been speculating for a while. I was hoping that maybe it would grant a "Shred" like effect to a Darkness-Type with it attached... until I realized that would probably be too good given that Yveltal-EX is unlikely to be leaving the format anytime soon.

Zygarde262

Aspiring Trainer
Bad Energy is... very appropriately named. As for Sableye, I actually think the card has some potential. When N is replaced with Ace Trainer following this season's (probable) rotation to XY-on, Sableye looks like a fantastic starter. It gives you effectively two supporters per turn while you set up your board and wait for it to die so you can then play from behind with Ace Trainer.

Jaxsin

Aspiring Trainer
Sableye is one of those cards that will always need to be revisited as supporters are released. With the format on the cusp of slowing down, and a rotation approaching Sableye could prove viable somewhere down the line. It puts a lot of pressure on decks that use Xerosic/TFG atm as they are often susceptible to energy denial themselves, and i can see a lot of value in using N and Lysandre in the same turn.

Bad Energy will be unplayable if Enhanced Hammer, Ageislash ex, Cobalion ex, and Xerosic stick around, because its barely worth play over basic darks. If these cards rotate out or fall off, its an option. Id rather it just do plus 10, even as a strictly worse Strong Energy honestly.

Scorched Feathers

Aspiring Trainer
I like both of them, though I can see only Sableye being played, and even then only a little. I'd probably play it in some capacity as an opener :p

Joseph Redd

Been a Gengar fan since Gen 1.
The Sableye reminds me of Sableye(48/100) from Stormfront, albeit haveing very obvious differences. I am not saying that they're the exact same, or that this one is as good as the Stormfront one. I am just saying that they share a lot of characteristics. I can see this one being used as a starter or a support pokemon in decks that already run a source of Dark energy. As for Bad Energy, I will reserve my judgment until after we see the rest of what Ancient Origins has to offer. Who knows? Maybe there will be a reason to run it over basic Dark energy.

Last edited:

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
I actually think Bad Energy will be decent with Yveltal. With Laserbank gone, there is a bit of less damage Yveltal would normally need to stay alive. Bad Energy could be used to cover this gap, put more damage when it is attacked. It shouldn't really be a prime target for Enhanced on Yveltal considering Yveltal also runs DCE, which does more damage.

HA559

Aspiring Trainer
Where are our other special energies like Water, fire, and electric/lightning type? I hope the next set is based around Suicune EX and that it includes special water energy. That would also benefit Swampert EX.

Then you will have Fire and Electric special energies left for the set after that one.

Gruffling

Aspiring Trainer
Where are our other special energies like Water, fire, and electric/lightning type? I hope the next set is based around Suicune EX and that it includes special water energy. That would also benefit Swampert EX.

Then you will have Fire and Electric special energies left for the set after that one.

With Mega Ampharos in this set, I wouldn't say a special lightning energy is entirely unrealistic right now.

Then XY8 can have special fire and special water energies which could work if we're getting close to Volcanion's official reveal.

HA559

Aspiring Trainer
With Mega Ampharos in this set, I wouldn't say a special lightning energy is entirely unrealistic right now.

Then XY8 can have special fire and special water energies which could work if we're getting close to Volcanion's official reveal.

Special fire and special water may also work with Swampert EX and Blaziken EX in the next set if not Volcanion.

Materious17

Pokemon Geologist
One thing I didn't notice about Hitoshi Ariga is that he is responsible for all of the full art supporters from Primal Clash (Archie's, Maxie's, Birch and Teammates) so he only started doing artwork recently but he definitely hit the ground running.

BibiTotoLover

Eeveelutions, Lapras + Fairy Collector
They look really nice! I love the artwork.
And it also makes me laugh, that Gloom's attack is called; "Drool" :p

TheStrictNein

Has tried turning it off and on again
The artwork is solid, but otherwise, not very interesting. Neither attack has any use and no abilities make them only there for Vileplume.

Low retreat cost is nice though

They look really nice! I love the artwork.
And it also makes me laugh, that Gloom's attack is called; "Drool" :p

It's right up there with "Bleh"

Materious17

Pokemon Geologist
The artwork is great, I love how happy Oddish and Gloom are, makes them look adorable.

But what TheStrictNein said, these cards are just here for stepping stones for the ultimate goal of Vileplume and I really wish that Basic and Stage 1 Pokemon that can evolve would have niches of their own (like Eelektric NVI did). It would make the evolving up to stage 2 more interesting than just a Rare Candy away, skipping 1/3 of the line.

FossilJockeyMG

Pokémon Paleontologist

Well, using past trends, I would assume the next set would revolve around Zygarde. So far it hasn't been featured in any set at all. That seems odd, unless they are saving it for it's own set. If there is an "X2Y2" or "Z" game (and I'm betting on the former) then it will likely come out in tandem. I will admit, however, that the timing seems off for a new game. It is possible we could see a filler set with the special energy cards you are hoping for. I don't know what the focus of the overall set would be though. We have already had sets focused on fire (XY: Flashfire) as well as electric and water (XY: Primal Clash).

whirlpoolm51

Aspiring Trainer
Im so pumped for this set!!! 26 years old and i still giggle in excitement for new tcg products!! Haha nothing better than waking up , drinking a hot cup of coffee and cracking open a 100 packs of the newest set!! Best feeling ever!! Hahahahahaha

FossilJockeyMG

Pokémon Paleontologist
The artwork is great, I love how happy Oddish and Gloom are, makes them look adorable.

But what TheStrictNein said, these cards are just here for stepping stones for the ultimate goal of Vileplume and I really wish that Basic and Stage 1 Pokemon that can evolve would have niches of their own (like Eelektric NVI did). It would make the evolving up to stage 2 more interesting than just a Rare Candy away, skipping 1/3 of the line.

It would be nice to see some unevolved guys get some Ancient Traits that would make them viable plays without their evolved forms. It would be interesting to how they are utilized. Eelektric was a fun card, and relatively easy to get a hold of. As a League Leader who was relatively teaching new players, it was great. Eelektric allowed people to come up with some fun combos for low level play without having to extend their wallet too much. Basically, it got them hooked on the strategy that is involved in deck building. Of course, you will still need to use higher tier cards with them if you wanted to compete in tournaments, but having good lower level cards was a good stepping stone to getting people to think competitively and move from theme decks toward making high level competitive decks.