Ancient Origins [8/15, aka Bandit Ring]

Well, seeing as how Bandit Ring comes out in August, it probably won't be legal for worlds, meaning that Vileplume will never be in the same standard format as Exeggutor, so that worry can be put to rest.

inb4 we get another Supporter lock card in AOR

Alright alright alright alright *breathes*

Vileplume is back, oh my... I can see it being used when Seismitoad-EX leaves the format, at least. I'd love to see The Truth return because even if it was a pain, it made the format feel a lot more diverse. 130HP is indeed a little substandard, but it's not going to be in active much at all. Possibly, it could be used with Supporter Lock to prevent your opponent from doing much at all!

Jolteon interests me. The ability to make all Stage 1 Pokémon part [L] means that Colourless Rayquaza-EX has a counter, and there are a fair few things that can OHKO it. I don't know how viable it will be, but it looks fun enough, especially with Energy Evolution Eevee! This also indicates that Vaporeon and Flareon are most likely being reprinted, which keeps all the Eeveelutions in format.

Paint Roller... Maybe 1 or 2 in a deck? It's only drawing a card and it can either be extremely useful or completely useless. A bit hit or miss, so I guess it depends on your local meta.

This set just keeps getting better and better for me! :D

Hmm...Paint Roller might be worth at least two in a deck if it doesn't require a Stadium card in play.

I have some questions:

1. Does mega pokemon considered stage 1 pokemon?
2. How jolteon hability will work with weakness and resistance at the same time (for example, Rhydon VS yveltal)?

I have some questions:

1. Does mega pokemon considered stage 1 pokemon?
2. How jolteon hability will work with weakness and resistance at the same time (for example, Rhydon VS yveltal)?

1. They are a stage called "Mega". Where the "Stage 1" text would be on a stage 1 card, there is "Mega" text on an M Evolution card.

2. You would apply both, and I'd assume in the order of weakness then resistance. I can find compendium rulings for applying both, but not in which order to apply them.

Loving the Vileplume and Jolteon cards. The question is: Does that confirm the conclusion of Bellossom and Eevee's other evolutions of Vaporeon, Flareon, Espeon, and Umbreon? (I excluded Leafeon and Glaceon as they were released alongside Sylveon.)

Loving the Vileplume and Jolteon cards. The question is: Does that confirm the conclusion of Bellossom and Eevee's other evolutions of Vaporeon, Flareon, Espeon, and Umbreon? (I excluded Leafeon and Glaceon as they were released alongside Sylveon.)

I'd say they're all highly likely, as all the eeveelutions bar Glaceon and Leafeon are rotating out with the next rotation which would put a damper on Energy Evolution Eevee.

I am most likely getting a booster box of this. Judging by what has been revealed, the EX's are awesome. I would say that the Shiny Primals and Mega Rayquaza are secret rare EX (full arts?) but it seems fishy that they would include secret rares on pack artwork.

Oooohhh. I'm a newbie.
I remember that DP had Weakness that was dependent on the card, not always x2. Long live my Empoleon from Majestic Dawn.
I remember when a T1 Night Spear was frustrating to play against but it felt good to play.
I do know that Pokemon is becoming more luck based where many in many matches, it's who sets up first wins.

Well... welcome to the game (even if you've been here a few years). ;)

The short version is that for a time we had a game where you needed to use your opening attacks for set-up. There were other factors that have been tried separately and didn't work, so I think the "set-up" attacks being worth using (or rather first turn offense being nowhere near as good) is what helped create better pacing for the game during that time. I recognize there is also a difference of the internet then versus now; it was still kind of iffy to find a good list online back then.

So, the new cards have got me thinking/daydreaming - and apologies if it's been mentioned somewhere before, but what if they release a stadium that - similarly to how shrine of memories lets you use your previous evolution's moves - grants pokemon their previous evolution's ancient traits. I know it is probably too crazy to happen - but the idea gets me excited. Think about it: Primal Clash Diggersby (from pointless to doomsday with omega barrage + strong energies + fighting stadium + muscle band [I think silver bangle will be rotated out soon]), Primal Clash Tentacruel (it has a healing move so will benefit from alpha recovery), the multiple Blazikens that can pair with omega barrage), and the rest (Manetric, Eelektross, Bibarrel, and Xatu) will have some nice benefits as well. I think it's safe to say such a (dare I call it outrageous?) scheme would have a noticeable impact.

Well... welcome to the game (even if you've been here a few years). ;)

The short version is that for a time we had a game where you needed to use your opening attacks for set-up. There were other factors that have been tried separately and didn't work, so I think the "set-up" attacks being worth using (or rather first turn offense being nowhere near as good) is what helped create better pacing for the game during that time. I recognize there is also a difference of the internet then versus now; it was still kind of iffy to find a good list online back then.
And setting up is more than attacks but say attaching energy, evolving, etc. In the early DP era, you could go a turn or two without attacking. There were no Professor Juniper/Sycamore, N or even PONT. You used Bebe Search I believe and Mom's Kindness. People didn't have to draw as fast and aggressive as they do now because Pokemon were weaker, most weakness wasn't doubled and the game was much slower back then.

Fast forward to one of the best eras of the TCG in my opinion,the SP era. People started having to draw and set up fast. LuxApe, LuxChomp, DialgaChomp or MotherFlygon all relied on Claydol and Uxie as well as PONT. Really who set up first one alot of the time.

HG/HS and early B&W still had the same but eventually Uxie, Claydol and PONT rotated out. We didn't have any good draw engines until Juniper and N came out.

Here we are today with N, Sycamore, Shauna, Colress and Shaymin EX. On top of that we have Acro Bike, Trainer's Mail and Bicycle. Going first especially in mirror matches means anyone can burn through their deck on their first turn and be ahead of their opponent.

There's always "Clear Humming" Altaria to nullify the L weakness though. I run a 1-1 line, but might consider a 2-2 if Jolteon sees a lot of play. I'm not scared. :p

Trying to think of ways to make use of Vileplume...Gligar (PHF) may be an interesting partner for a lock-based deck- they can't play Switch or Escape Rope to get their energy-locked Pokemon out of the active, and they can't put any energy on to retreat it.

Of course, Pokemon with free retreat like M-Latios can get straight out of this, but it may be an interesting idea to play with.

What exactly is PONT?

Professor Oak's New Theory:

Professor-Oak's-New-Theory-HeartGold-SoulSilver-101.jpg
N without the disruption.

even if i not using it in my deck's design(at least for now) i want to try that Jolteon , it allows me to put more non [L] into my deck and keep my style of [L] Pokémon

but

i must see the rest of the set before to plan something

my favorite Pokémon of all time , Jolteon is back :)......is more than enough for me

I personally will use Jolteon in my XY-On Eevee deck. Especially if Vaporeon and Flareon have matching abilities. Being able to multi-type them, especially if they're going to be doing at least 60-100 damage - opens a lot of counter chances.

Really bummed to see another item lock ability rear it's ugly head. Item lock has been far from niche as of late and too much really takes a lot of enjoyment out of the game. Vileplume is pretty much set for 2 seasons in standard. Plenty of time to see heavy play in a set or two.

The Jolteon and Paint Roller are really cool cards. Jolteon especially if we see a special lightning energy that goes well with this ability.

And setting up is more than attacks but say attaching energy, evolving, etc.

I was explaining that setting up via attacks tends to pace the game better than set-up via effects that can be used multiple times in a single turn. The more of his or her deck a player has access to, the weaker the cards in the deck need to be in order to maintain balance. One PlusPower (an Item that adds 10 damage to attacks against Active Pokémon) has rarely been an issue, however it tends to exist in formats where players can drop multiples in one shot. Earlier I faced a Seismitoad-EX deck that went through almost the entire deck thanks to Shaymin-EX, Super Scoop Up and AZ. It doesn't matter if you hit some "tails" on Crushing Hammer and Hypnotoxic Laser if you can use 2-3 copies of each in a turn, then can afford to recycle it all with Lysandre's Trump Card. Oh and when the damage finally started accumulating on Seismitoad-EX, it of course bounced as well.

In the early DP era, you could go a turn or two without attacking.

Correct, in certain decks. Others would indeed need their early game attacks, either for set-up or early offense.

There were no Professor Juniper/Sycamore, N or even PONT. You used Bebe Search I believe and Mom's Kindness. People didn't have to draw as fast and aggressive as they do now because Pokemon were weaker, most weakness wasn't doubled and the game was much slower back then.

The early DP-on era was when I had to all but stop playing, so I couldn't keep up with the competitive metagame, but I am still pretty sure Mom's Kindness was seen as a joke card that no one played. While it is from well past the time when the reviewers (and reviews) were considered to be authoritative and insightful, I still think these Pojo CotD reviews explain Mom's Kindness pretty well. "Weaker" is a relative term; I'd put it as "less grossly overpowered".

Fast forward to one of the best eras of the TCG in my opinion,the SP era. People started having to draw and set up fast. LuxApe, LuxChomp, DialgaChomp or MotherFlygon all relied on Claydol and Uxie as well as PONT. Really who set up first one alot of the time.

I was almost totally absent from this era, and wasn't in too much of a hurry to rush back as what little taste I had of it reminded me too much of what I didn't care for in Yu-Gi-Oh. Yes it was about setting up first... which isn't all that great. Technically that is what I am complaining about now, it is just that decks have almost zero set-up time anymore, so it is easy to forget that technically a Seismitoad-EX deck that gets Seismitoad-EX up front with a Double Colorless Energy and Muscle Band, nails your Active with Hypnotoxic Laser, drops a Virbank City Gym usually just needs a few supporting Basics that just need to Evolve the next turn to be more or less "set-up".

Uxie is a better Shaymin-EX; it was nice to not be stuck relying solely on Supporters and lucky topdecks, but I really hated the near homogeneous deck builds where everyone had to run the same or nearly the same supporting Pokémon (a problem sadly even in the best of formats). Once we hit crazy levels of the appropriate draw/search power, it was annoying as "I play Card X!" "Well I draw half my deck to get to and play Card Y"! "Ha, but I search out and play my TecH copy of Card Z!"

HG/HS and early B&W still had the same but eventually Uxie, Claydol and PONT rotated out. We didn't have any good draw engines until Juniper and N came out.

They also rewarded a reckless pace and "throwing" your deck at your opponent. There was little point in cultivating a good, long term hand because either you would have to pitch something ahead of schedule to use Professor Juniper or when either of you have to use N.

Here we are today with N, Sycamore, Shauna, Colress and Shaymin EX. On top of that we have Acro Bike, Trainer's Mail and Bicycle. Going first especially in mirror matches means anyone can burn through their deck on their first turn and be ahead of their opponent.

Like I said, it is in no way new. The game literally began with that capacity! Only we didn't have a way to throw everything back into the deck after we finished ripping through it. Well, eventually we did but it still was no Lysandre's Trump Card. It helps to remember that Supporters were not part of the original Pokémon Trading Card Game. At this time there were only "Trainers", and they behaved as Items do now. There were no Ace Specs. There were no Supporters. All of the following is from the original Base Set.
Computer-Search-Base-Set-71.jpg

Item-Finder-Base-Set-74.jpg

Bill-Base-Set-91.jpg

Professor-Oak-Base-Set-88.jpg

That is the original draw/search/reclamation engine of the Pokémon TCG.

Instead of Crushing Hammer, Enhanced Hammer, Hypnotoxic Laser and Lysandre we had
Energy-Removal-Base-Set-92.jpg

Super-Energy-Removal-Base-Set-79.jpg

PlusPower-Base-Set-84.jpg

Gust-of-Wind-Base-Set-93.jpg
and for good measure, though they weren't in every deck, our "tricks" included the following, which includes the predecessor of Super Scoop Up
Scoop-Up-Base-Set-78.jpg

Lass-Base-Set-75.jpg
As a reminder, while attacks weren't as strong, HP scores maxed out at 120, with most Pokémon well below that.

Here are the top two attackers of this set, who formed the core of the dominant deck which would add new members but didn't really fall out of power until they were replaced by something even stronger two years (and five sets) later.

Hitmonchan-Base-Set-7.jpg

Electabuzz-Base-Set-20.jpg

Back