Ancient Origins [8/15, aka Bandit Ring]

Hemos

The demonic Shadow Lugia/Mystical Raven Witch
Dat Shiny Mega Rayquaza... I know what card I'm gonna be hunting down when it comes out! (Hell, I might even buy a box - going back to Ireland for the summer soon so I'll end up missing out on this set unless I get a box shipped to me)

Also nice to see that Unbound Hoopa art got through :)

MegaAbsol359

PTCGO IGN: seminc
The [L] Mega could be ampharos... but if my eyes don't deceive me, that's a Manectric Spirit Link attached to it. but i guess it looks too blue to be Mega Manectric. Maybe the spirit link for Ampharos is just really similar looking to the Manectric one.

OR maybe his opponent is an idiot. xD

TheStrictNein

Has tried turning it off and on again
That Mega Tyranitar pack art is really cute.
Extremely cute.

Also I really hope this set makes stage 2s more viable.

"TPCi, the players want more viable Stage 2 Pokemon instead of EXs all the time"

"Hmmm, better print a card that can search for 3 EX Pokemon for free then."

TheStrictNein

The [L] Mega could be ampharos... but if my eyes don't deceive me, that's a Manectric Spirit Link attached to it. but i guess it looks too blue to be Mega Manectric. Maybe the spirit link for Ampharos is just really similar looking to the Manectric one.

OR maybe his opponent is an idiot. xD

I'm 99% certain it was Mega Manectric the opponent was playing.

TheStrictNein

IS there any chance someone could sharpen or get a higher quality image of this frame?

GX5emLY.png

Direct link: http://i.imgur.com/GX5emLY.png

Otaku

The wise fool?
"TPCi, the players want more viable Stage 2 Pokemon instead of EXs all the time"

"Hmmm, better print a card that can search for 3 EX Pokemon for free then."

Sadly I know the reasoning behind it:

"The players want more diversity so that whatever their favorites they can build at least as somewhat competitive deck around them. They no longer want us to favor a particular Stage or Type or even core TCG strategy; some of them prefer strategies other than throwing their decks at their opponent or getting them into a one-sided lock while slowly, tortuously taking the win."

"How do we do that?"

"Well there isn't much we can do until a lot of current stuff is gone. I guess stop making abusively fast, hard-hitting attackers, pacing big, Basic Pokémon so that Evolutions have time to manually Evolve - the short cuts are always overly potent or under-powered - and then make Evolving Pokémon relevant to the game instead of making people wait for the final Stage to do anything. Of course, this will cost a lot more in man hours for game development and testing."

"Keep distracting them with ridiculously fast and powerful decks! Oh, and sparkly, shiny cards!"

Last edited:

Chrswrites

Aspiring Trainer
Wow! These booster pack images are awesome! This sets feels really good and magical. And it has some interesting Pokemon in it. It really feels like Nintendo is making an effort. Hopefully there will be more Pokemon in the set that haven't been printed in a while. BW bothered me because it had so many of the same Pokemon in it, and it ignored so many existing Pokemon as well. Not one set of that era felt perfect or nostalgic. XY feels like the right direction and Ancient Origins could be the most amazing set in years. As a collector I'm both excited and afraid since it's gonna cost me A LOT of money. I also hope that the shiny Mega and Primal Pokemon won't be exact reprints - but in different colors - of their PRC and ROS versions. I'm hoping for brand new, epic artworks and maybe even different cards at all. Can't wait to see more of this set.

GadgetJax

Traveling Storyteller and Card Faker
Okay, Mega Tyranitar is the only of the 3 new Megas on the pack art. That's dumb. They couldn't even get the other 2 packs matching by doing P Groudon and Kyogre - they just mixed in Groudon with Rayquaza! Why? I guess I'm just a stickler for matches...

RiverShock

Aspiring Trainer
It disappoints me a little that the theme deck art of Regirock is much more impressive than the actual card art.

Maserati777

Aspiring Trainer
I like the pack art on the Groudon the best I think, then M Rayquaza. Them being black kind of goes nicely with the darkness of the rest of the packart.

I don't really like the other two since I don't really like the Pokemon designs. But they are better then M Ampharos which looks like a Ampharos with a funny wig on it's head. And I'm glad they left Kyorge off since that's just an unlucky pack art.

To be honest I think I'd rather see Machamp on the packart over any of them but now they only feature mega or legendary Pokemon.

whirlpoolm51

Aspiring Trainer
Welp so far we know regice and regirock are in the set!! Wonder what other regis will be in it!!!
The whole pack artwork is just amazing looking. This set is awesome and all you nit pickers need to chill , the last 3 sets have been the best sets in a long time!!!!!

Sleepy

Aspiring Trainer
I couldn't tell why Tyranitar looked so off, and then I realized it had a super long neck and tiny arms :p But other than that, the set looks awesome so far! Really excited for all the legends and Hoopa Unbound.

6GPxRBt.gif

Cherryn

Aspiring Trainer
I expected that the new set would bring cards to "break" the Mega Rayquaza combo, but it became stronger instead. :0
Well, just waiting for new scans. :b

SotS

Cycling the Stress Away
I am setting aside a bit of my paycheck every week until August. I've got to have an Elite Trainer Box now. I was already loving the logo, but that pack art sealed the deal.

Everything is just clicking with this set.

Impossible100

Aspiring Trainer
I can't wait for this set i might even go to the prerealease! Plus I love shiny ray-ray and groudon! I like kyogre too.

Deck Maker Xerneas

Deck Builder
Anybody else see that the opponent has a Bandit Ring Kyurem-EX and some other water Pokemon (that may be from bandit ring, it's too blurry to tell. It might be regice knowing regirock is confirmed) on his bench at the beginning of the game.