Ancient Origins [8/15, aka Bandit Ring]

daviduk2000

Aspiring Trainer
I hate ace trainer. Just as I was getting excited for a format without N we get this :(

I do wonder now if we will be getting a few supporters with the same requirement like we did when we got these types back in the HGSS era

Rhesis

Chandelure Fan
Good point on Machamp-EX, though Celebi places damage counters - it doesn't actually deal damage, which means that doesn't work, I think. Otherwise, it would have the weakness/resistance clause. Nice idea though!

Yep, hype beat me :p. Then Pikachu was right buuuuuut with MGallade EX can work (but i think Forretress is better for that).

In other hand: Hi Ace Trainer, bye N. It's the result of a wild night between N and a Red Card jajaja

Scorched Feathers

Aspiring Trainer
I actually love Ace Trainer, though that's likely because I love N to bits and it ends up pretty much always being a better N. I think it's a little less crazy, and it always gives the player the advantage. It could have been much worse!

daviduk2000

Aspiring Trainer
Oh and heavy boots pretty much made for machamp heater. 3 retreat check, confuses itself after an attack check. Extra 20 HP for an attack which works of damage? Check.

That was the only redeeming quality about N was that sometimes you'd have 2 prizes and you opponent would have 1 left and youd take that risk, but it also punished you. Now it just badly punished your opponent while giving you a pretty nice 6 cards. So I hate it. Thibk it's my new worst car in format. Which currently belongs to hypno toxic laser, and Seismitoad ex.

Frosty

Bleh.
so this is interesting, on all the ex cards it looks like they are coming out of the rings!

...I'm sort of warming up to this set, sort of.

Athena

The Cooler Danchou
Advanced Member
so this is interesting, on all the ex cards it looks like they are coming out of the rings!

It's a reference to the movie, since Hoopa uses its rings to summon Legendaries to help them in the battle against Unbound Hoopa.

I do love it when they use the artwork of cards to match a location or theme like that. :3

GadgetJax

Traveling Storyteller and Card Faker
Machamp-EX is actually quite good in combination with Dugtrio or another self-inflicting card, and you can prevent the confusion pretty easily with Sparkling Robe. It seems like that could be good.

Virizion looks powerful in theory, especially with 120 for 2. I would've loved to try it with Cofagrigus, but he's rotating out for sure, so that's a no-way. Rescue is actually better than Manaphy, so that seems like it could be strong with decks that play Evolutions. Maybe with Shiftry, hm?

Eh, Celebi is just too luck-based to be any good. It's worse than Chandelure, and even that guy hasn't seen any play, so it just seems like this card is a gimmick.
Doesn't it seem kind of odd that we've already seen 2 Theta Trait cards but both of them are Promos? Same thing with Megas. We've already been shown 4 different EX's, but not a single Mega Evolution. How strange.

I think Ace Trainer is worse than N, obviously, but that's for the better. I hated N because it was expensive, didn't encourage draw-based attacks, and could become deadly with Self-Destruct decks - not to mention the fact that we never got a Shuffle Supporter that outclassed it. Ace Trainer is much more balanced since it can't be used on the first turn, draws a set number so you can't abuse it with like with N in the late-game, and still draws good for you, regardless of how many Prizes YOU have left.

Scorched Feathers

Aspiring Trainer
I think Ace Trainer is worse than N, obviously, but that's for the better. I hated N because it was expensive, didn't encourage draw-based attacks, and could become deadly with Self-Destruct decks - not to mention the fact that we never got a Shuffle Supporter that outclassed it. Ace Trainer is much more balanced since it can't be used on the first turn, draws a set number so you can't abuse it with like with N in the late-game, and still draws good for you, regardless of how many Prizes YOU have left.
Ace Trainer isn't exactly better nor worse; it has its ups and downs like N does. Ace Trainer has a fixed rate of cards and is indeed more balanced, while also giving you the advantage. N is dependent on you and your opponent's game position, and has the possibility of leaving you worse off - Ace Trainer stops that. N isn't really expensive, being printed in almost every other set to be honest :p

Overall, I think that Ace Trainer is a lot more reliable than N, especially when you're winning.

TheStrictNein

Has tried turning it off and on again
Machamp-EX is actually quite good in combination with Dugtrio or another self-inflicting card, and you can prevent the confusion pretty easily with Sparkling Robe. It seems like that could be good.

Virizion looks powerful in theory, especially with 120 for 2. I would've loved to try it with Cofagrigus, but he's rotating out for sure, so that's a no-way. Rescue is actually better than Manaphy, so that seems like it could be strong with decks that play Evolutions. Maybe with Shiftry, hm?

Eh, Celebi is just too luck-based to be any good. It's worse than Chandelure, and even that guy hasn't seen any play, so it just seems like this card is a gimmick.
Doesn't it seem kind of odd that we've already seen 2 Theta Trait cards but both of them are Promos? Same thing with Megas. We've already been shown 4 different EX's, but not a single Mega Evolution. How strange.

About the Promo thing, not really. We saw Promo Regirock, Salamence and Fearow before we got Roaring Skies, and we haven't even got Salamence and Fearow in English sets yet.

V-Master

Victory's Master
It seems this set may focus around {P} Pokemon (along with many others) so imagine Mewtwo EX and M Mewtwo X and Mega Mewtwo Y lol. (also there will be many EX and legendaries in this set)
Where did 5Ban Graphics go lol (to the Megas)

GadgetJax

Traveling Storyteller and Card Faker
About the Promo thing, not really. We saw Promo Regirock, Salamence and Fearow before we got Roaring Skies, and we haven't even got Salamence and Fearow in English sets yet.

Something tells me you didn't understand what I meant...

...what I meant is that the only 2 Theta cards revealed thus far have been Promos. We have yet to see one in Bandit Ring itself, so it seems like they're either hiding them for a future surprise like they did with Primal Clash, or they just won't be in the set. Doesn't it seem odd that there haven't been ANY in the set so far?

Scorched Feathers

Aspiring Trainer
It seems this set may focus around {P} Pokemon (along with many others) so imagine Mewtwo EX and M Mewtwo X and Mega Mewtwo Y lol. (also there will be many EX and legendaries in this set)
Where did 5Ban Graphics go lol (to the Megas)
I would assume not on the Mewtwo part; I don't remember them being in the film, but I may be wrong :p I hope Mewtwo has its own set instead!
On 5Ban Graphics, I for one am glad that they're gone - I don't really think it fits the cards. Maybe this will mean more variation in art for Pokémon-EX and M Pokémon-EX?

...what I meant is that the only 2 Theta cards revealed thus far have been Promos. We have yet to see one in Bandit Ring itself, so it seems like they're either hiding them for a future surprise like they did with Primal Clash, or they just won't be in the set. Doesn't it seem odd that there haven't been ANY in the set so far?
We haven't seen enough cards from the set to decide something like that, I'd wait :p

TheStrictNein

Has tried turning it off and on again

You don't understand what I'm saying. The AT Fearow and Salamence came out in Japan before Emerald Break and neither were in that set.

As such, it's likely the same with this set

Athena

The Cooler Danchou
Advanced Member
I think discussion of what Ancient Traits will or won't be in the set is kind of premature at this point. After all, we've only seen 6 cards from the set in total, and none of those are AT cards anyway.

Scorched Feathers

Aspiring Trainer
I think discussion of what Ancient Traits will or won't be in the set is kind of premature at this point. After all, we've only seen 6 cards from the set in total, and none of those are AT cards anyway.
^ The best thing to discuss right now is the cards we have, it's a bad idea to speculate and then be disappointed! I'm really loving both Hoopa and Lugia-EX's art more and more, I'm thinking I'll want to get my hands on them for just collection purposes! :p