BW/BW2 Am I only person that doesn't care about EV/IV's?

RE: Am I only person that doesn't care of all this fancy EV/IV stuff?

Starboard Driger said:
Metalizard said:
What I'll tell you is ignorance is a bliss...

It isn't for me. It's not like I'm going to use the Pokemon I use in the main game in a competitive battle, so why would I care that my Jolly Flygon has 120 EVs in Special Attack?
Exactly. When I re-play some of my games, I can happily ignore EVs and IVs. All I care about, having battled enough competively, are selecting moves that work worth using based on my pokemon's base stats (for example, not using physical attacks with a pokemon built to be a special attacker).

DNA said:
Yes.

I can't escape from nature/IV breeding and EV training stuff anymore. It's like a curse.

Same here! This is why I'm not going to learn how to get good IVs or determine what IVs a Pokemon has (barring the Judge in the Subway). EVs are enough...

When I actually play the game I care a tiny bit, like I remember that Spinda and Ghastly give Sp. Atk evs so if I need to grind I usually grind my special attackers there for a bit before moving on. Other then that I just say screw it and ignore everything competitive, it just makes the game unfun, since trying to get max IVs and EVs is just boring to me.

I think what allowed me to get outside the competitive training trap was the PMD games. I don't enjoy them as much as the main games (though, Gates to Infinity is an exception), but the lack of IVs and EVs in the spin-offs helped me get back to training without concern for the extra values.

Metalizard said:
Before I knew about that I didn't care that my Giratina caught in Platinum has a Rash Nature but only 1 IV in Sp. Atk... After I found that, while I still like my Giratina, I always think of it as weak because of that...
Before, I used to play the games without caring about that, and I was happy... After knowing about EV, IVs, natures and all the things they affect, now I only "like" to (it's more like "I need to") catch pokémon with good natures, and if they are pokémon I'm going to use on my in-game team, then I don't rest until I get one with good IVs... The ridiculous about this is that I go through all that stress and it's only for in-game purposes, I don't even play competitively!
I went to the point of altering the Rayquaza I caught in Emerald because it had a high IV in Attack but its nature was Calm! I didn't resist and changed it to Naughty (the exact opposite) because of how unfair I thought it was... But now I don't like to look at my Rayquaza because I know I cheated and feel guilty, even if it was just that small detail (the nature)...
I wish I'd never knew about EVs, IVs and all that stuff...

That feel, I knows it. But I've thankfully got no clue about EVs and IVs. BUT NATURES Oh lord how they must be beneficial for me to like them. Competitive changes how you think in-game, and it's obsessive and it's quite a trap.

I don't care about it in regular playthroughs. The only time I care if it is a Nuzlocke Challenge/Competitive Battle.

I never have cared for the IVs/EVs business, or natures or anything that contributes to that. It's all confusing to me, and I don't really care that much about the competitive battling. I just raise my Pokemon as they are.

I don't play casual and thinking about EV's, but I do think about natures. I feel that if for an example I get an Adamant Espeon, it will be extremely bad, and I can't use it then. I really want to get into the competetive scene, but I can't see myself training EV's, so maybe I get into the Little Cup scene? :p

Am I only person that doesn't care of all this fancy EV/IV stuff?

When I play normally, I don't care about IV/EVs.
I only care about moves that fit my pokemon stats, or what I feel in my play style.
When I play on a simulator then yes.

I really don't understand IV training but EV training I wish they keep, abolish IVs.

Ghost King said:
I really don't understand IV training but EV training I wish they keep, abolish IVs.
There's a reason for that. You can't train IVs. once the pokemon is generated by the game, the IVs never change unless you hack it. Think of Pokemon IVs like this: Two serperior are trained to have max EVs isn speed but thier speed IVs are different: 16 and 31. This is similar to the difference between an avarage track runner (trained his whole life) and Usian Bolt (trained his whole life AND has genetics on his side too). One is faster than the other despite both training roughly the same amount since one had a greater aptitude for it. There is nothing wrong with the IV system as it makes pokemon slightly more realistic (and RNG abuse for specific IV spreads can parallel extreme selective breeding in many cases).

Personally I hate RNG, but it is tempting to get a good team going. Nonetheless, I hope IVs are something that can be tinkered with in some way for X/Y.

I never cared for EVs much, but ever since I started trying to play a bit more competitively, I have been breeding a lot, and training teams up. BW 2 makes it a hell of a lot easier and faster, so there should be no complaints.

If people don't like to EV Train or breed for IVs, that's fine, I'm not gonna judge.

But I think those that try to force it on people who don't want to or aren't ready for it yet - need to lay off.
The same goes for those that don't do it and act like they are more superior fans, or get rude or irritated at people who EV Train.
We play our own ways, as long as we're having fun, is that not what counts?

What does RNGing mean? I hear it everywhere... I know RNG is Random Number Generator.

You use a program that tells you exactly when to enter the game and catch/receive the Egg and then you will get Stats that will be desirable if it is done correctly [/TooVagueSummary]

Well, I really do try to get involved in competitive battling. I think I understand the basics of EVs/IVs, but whenever I actually go into making a team, I really have no clue what I'm trying to do... Pokemon all have their specific jobs, and I understand that, but it's all just so confusing.

I go on forums and I'm amazed by how people can be engaged in full discussions regarding competitive battling.

I'm not into competitive battle. I just play the game and that's it.
That said, I haven't yet made the jump to Gen. V and so I'm still playing HeartGold because I find it a great game. Since I've nothing better to do (the history is complete) and my game team is already at level 100, I decided to breed and raise Pokémon of my favorite type - Grass -, and that's when I got into the mechanics of EV. I'm hoping to transfer some of those (at lv. 1 but the result of breeding and pumped with Calcium, etc.) to a new game (most likely B2 or W2) and then have my dream come true: an adventure only with Grass-type Pokémon.
This experience however, had a side effect: I find it akward now to just capture Pokémon. Before, I used to just capture the first that crossed my path only paying attention to gender.

I couldn't care less about "EV's" and "IV's" or whatever. I prefer single player than multiplayer, when it comes to Pokemon. I have no idea how those things work, it has something to do with the stats, gender, and personality value, blah blah blah.

Count me in the "I don't care IVs/EVs" category, more or less. I will use the EV raising items in game, but I don't battle competitively, so I don't try and minmax stats. That said, having played D&D and other pen-and-paper role-playing games for several years, I can understand the desire to maximize your Pokémon's potential for a contest. ;) I just find it boring, personally, and would rather just play the game.

I understand how they work and used to use them all the time. Now, not so much but I was into competitive battle up until about a year ago...

Back