Alan's True Art (Requesting some critiques)

Alan

No Items. Not Ever.
Hello welcome to my more serious art thread. I will post my "Art Art" Here and request critiques for them when they go up.

First up is this study of "The Thinker" I've been doing in art. 4 blocks so far and only really worked on it for 3 of those days.

tumblr_me9qus0YBZ1rkif6bo1_500.jpg

I will update with a scan as soon as possible (By mid december at least.)

Tell me what you think.

I like it. The outlines aren't overdone, and neither is the shading. The detailing in the rock he's sitting on is awesome. The collarbone is pronounced and I think that's pretty sweet. Good job!

His right leg looks a little weird (pointed?), but I only noticed after staring a while X3 . Pretty cool, although some contrast would be nice! Darker darks and lighter lights c: . Then again, this is a photo, maybe when you scan it, it will be more clear~.

This is cool! Your proportions are looking good. I'd love to see an update with a wider range of values like sarydactl mentioned, and maybe some more detail on the fingers and toes. When you go back to add darker values, try to not just press harder with the pencil. Instead, try to just find a darker pencil, it will look better that way. I'm guessing you are using an HB pencil, so -if possible- see if you can find a B2 or B4 pencil to get some darker tones.

Fun safari-fact: I've actually seen a thinker statue. It isn't cast from the original, it's a smaller sculpture, but it is a copy made by the original artist.

I like it, you have done very well on pretty much everything that comes with this style....but I would suggest studying the feet some more, especially the toes.

Back