Aegislash ex from “Future Flash”

Maybe, but I'm just pointing to typical card design these days. On a basic it would have prevented attacking on the next turn, which is definitely more of a downside than a little recoil.
Correct, which leads to my initial statement. I would understand the recoil if it has an MC cost, or it has a slightly higher damage number. At the moment I feel a 220 damage, restrictive (MM) cost on a stage 2 in a type without consistent support is as "fair" as it can get.

I think people are underestimating how good Gardevoir ex’s abillity is. Gardevoir ex is the the last ex that would need a playable stage 1 or stage 2 support Pokémon to work well. Whenever they rotate it will remain good. The deck will adapt similar to how lugia has with rotation. Maybe turn into a pidgeot ex and arven deck with new tech attackers.
Getting enough Psychic Energy to the discard pile reliably, in a way that preserves other options in the deck, becomes a lot more difficult without that Kirlia. I’d imagine the deck becomes a lot more aggressive and throws caution to to wind dumping energy into the discard pile with stuff like Research.

Lugia, upon rotation, lost attackers and consistency cards. The core strategy was still around, and once Archeops was set up your gameplan remained the same. Lugia just had to work through a new set of attackers and a searchpower plan. What you are suggesting with no trade-in Kirlia would be a lot more impactful on what the deck can do.

Given that trade-in Kirlia likely won’t rotate until 2025, and we’ll have a different rotation before then that greatly affects Gardeoir, I’d suggest trying to build the deck without trade-in Kirlia in the current format and figuring out what you’d have to do to meet the energy needs of the deck. I don’t think that this practice is worthwhile for current competitive play, but it might give insight into how impactful that stage 1 is for the deck.

I think people are underestimating how good Gardevoir ex’s abillity is. Gardevoir ex is the the last ex that would need a playable stage 1 or stage 2 support Pokémon to work well. Whenever they rotate it will remain good. The deck will adapt similar to how lugia has with rotation. Maybe turn into a pidgeot ex and arven deck with new tech attackers.
You're underestimating how much the current gardevoir deck is carried by the miriad of psychic search/support is available in thus rotation. Gardevoir has vip pass, fog crystal, level ball, ultra ball, to help facilitate their setup. That's essentially double the amount of search support that other decks have

Gardevoirs ex ability is strong don't get me wrong but inherent issues of being a Stage 2 is just too detrimental to carry the deck.

You're underestimating how much the current gardevoir deck is carried by the miriad of psychic search/support is available in thus rotation. Gardevoir has vip pass, fog crystal, level ball, ultra ball, to help facilitate their setup. That's essentially double the amount of search support that other decks have

Gardevoirs ex ability is strong don't get me wrong but inherent issues of being a Stage 2 is just too detrimental to carry the deck.
Isn't every meta reliant on having the proper support to make it good? That's what makes them meta. Yes you need a good strong Pokémon card to start with but you also need the proper support. Is Charizard ex good without Arven and Rare Candy? I highly doubt it. A card can be a good card without support it just won't get played. Gardevoir is the type of card worth playing so long as you have the support to make it work. If it wasn't that great by itself it wouldn't be played whether it had good support or not.

So is this going to be an Aegislash deck where it's played with the single prize version or is this only going to be a tech in Metal decks as a late game attacker? Or will it just not see much use at all since it's a little niche?

Feels a lot like the VMAX. A reverse charizard ex.. If only there's a way to add more prize cards for both players like the old Ultra Beasts' GX Moves. We really need those back. ??

It's okay. This feels like something we'd see on a Basic V, just cheaper energy costs. It feels like they're getting away with the lower cost because it's a stage 2. The attack is just not something I would expect to see on something that's trying to set up as early as it can.

Isn't every meta reliant on having the proper support to make it good? That's what makes them meta. Yes you need a good strong Pokémon card to start with but you also need the proper support. Is Charizard ex good without Arven and Rare Candy? I highly doubt it. A card can be a good card without support it just won't get played. Gardevoir is the type of card worth playing so long as you have the support to make it work. If it wasn't that great by itself it wouldn't be played whether it had good support or not.
My point being is that the support gardevoir has right now is currently exclusive to this rotation. Charizard isn't on the same level as gardevoir as a stage 2 deck anyways.

Try playing gardevoir without E rotation cards and you will find its barely a playable deck. Doesn't matter if ex has a strong ability, it still suffers from stage 2 syndrome.

This can pair well with Luminous Energy, at least. We have Armarouge (or something better, I didn’t look) to move it to the Active…so at least it could finish a game? It’s still challenging to set up—it might be okay with Arceus Vstar, then, since it can take some early KOs, and Aegislash ex could clean up.

So is this going to be an Aegislash deck where it's played with the single prize version or is this only going to be a tech in Metal decks as a late game attacker? Or will it just not see much use at all since it's a little niche?
Likely the former, but as a seldom seen rogue deck, as usual. You don't want to 'tech' a stage 2 pokemon because at the very minimum it will cost you 3 deck slots (the basic, the stage 2, a rare candy) UNLESS it's a really good general support like Pidgeot ex.

Back