Art Gallery Abstract Pokémon Art

GarbodorLover

Check out my art thread, "Abstract Pokémon Art"!
Several years ago, I came up with an idea for artwork I could make. I referred to them as "Warps", as it edits a pre-existing image, making it nearly unrecognizable. Without any context, it would seem completely original, as if it were an abstract image. I tried it with a variety of images, but eventually settled on doing Pokémon warps. As each Pokémon has their own official artwork, it would be easy to find an image to use. When I first started making them, they were little more than a novelty. I had no one to show the images to other than my friends and family, so I just made the images just for fun and deleted them soon afterwards. However, being a PokéBeach member means that I can share my art with literally thousands of people (if they happen to see this thread). As an added bonus, my images are about Pokémon, making it a perfect fit for this website! Believe it or not, I actually have a really complicated process when it comes to making these:

1. Find a Pokémon to use.
2. Find their Ken Sugimori artwork on the official Pokémon website, as they are all the same size there.
3. Using precise pixel measurements, I cut the image exactly in half twice, leaving only the upper left corner.
4. I copy the remainder of the image three times, rotate them, and attach them to it. This makes the image perfectly symmetrical both horizontally and vertically.
5. I invert the color of the image, making it even less like the original image. (I make these images on MS Paint, so the white background becomes black.)
6. I rotate the image 90 degrees, flipping it on its side.

This whole process, as I said before, makes the image completely unrecognizable when compared to the original image. Due to this, I thought it would be fun to turn my art into some sort of guessing game, with people trying to figure out what kind of Pokémon the image originally was. Some will be easier to guess than others, with the more complex the Pokémon's design is generally meaning that it will be harder to guess. Even if you don't guess what they are, you can still just browse the thread to look at my art. Either way, I hope you enjoy!

DISCLAIMER: Due to the limit of only being able to have 10 images per post, I'll create a new post each time I make a new group of images. I'll edit the original post saying when I create the images and what page of the thread they're on. I've only created five as of the time I'm writing this, so here they are.

CURRENT NUMBER OF POKÉMON WARPED: 186/923 (20.2%)

EDIT [3/20/2016]: Page 1, Post 2

EDIT [3/24/2016]: Page 1, Post 7

EDIT [3/24/2016]: Page 1, Post 14

EDIT [3/29/2016]: Page 1, Post 18

EDIT [4/1/2016]: Page 1, Post 19

EDIT [4/9/2016]: Page 1, Post 20

EDIT [4/10/2016]: Page 2, Post 22

EDIT [4/13/2016]: Page 2, Post 23

EDIT [4/23/2016]: Page 2, Post 24

EDIT [5/5/2016]: Page 2, Posts 26 and 27

EDIT [5/6/2016]: Page 2, Post 28

EDIT [5/7/2016]: Page 2, Post 29

EDIT [5/8/2016, 1:00 PM]: Page 2, Post 30

EDIT [5/8/2016, 7:12 PM]: Page 2, Post 31

EDIT [5/9/2016]: Page 2, Post 32

EDIT [5/10/2016]: Page 2, Post 33

EDIT [6/20/2016]: Page 2, Post 37

EDIT [6/21/2016]: Page 2, Post 38

EDIT [6/24/2016]: Page 2, Post 39

EDIT [6/25/2016]: Page 2, Post 40

EDIT [6/26/2016]: Page 3, Post 42

EDIT [7/6/2016]: Page 3, Post 44

EDIT [7/7/2016]: Page 3, Post 45

EDIT [7/9/2016]: Page 3, Post 46

EDIT [7/12/2016]: Page 3, Post 47

EDIT [7/19/2016]: Page 3, Post 48

EDIT [7/27/2016]: Page 3, Post 49

EDIT [7/29/2016]: Page 3, Post 50

336.png

059.png

202.png

593.png

596.png
Seviper, Arcanine, Wobbuffwt, Jellicent, and Galvantula.

Last edited:
Here's four more warps.

569.png

718.png

051.png

476.png
Garbodor, Zygarde, Dugtrio, and Probopass.

Last edited:
These would be so cool to see on a playmat or as Sleeves! Good stuff man, you should try and see if you kind another variation in how you warp it to keep it symetrical but still throw the image into the abstract area. But it's still really cool.

Thanks! It would be cool to test out other variations, but sadly MS Paint is rather limited. I'd rather stick with what I'm doing now and see which warps look the best (My personal favorite so far is Probopass.) Why don't you request some Pokémon for me to warp?

Last edited:
You should try Cryogonal and Volcarona! I think those two would be beautiful in this style. :)
Sure!

615.png
637.png

Aggron, Zapdos, and Magneton would be cool to see, not to mention the Christmas tree M Tyranitar.
Sadly I can't do Mega Tyranitar (The Pokémon website only has the normal forms on their online Pokédex), but I'll be happy to do normal Tyranitar!

306.png
145.png
082.png
248.png

Last edited:
Thats awesome, aggron came out better than i thought, and Zapdos haha. Big Spike Ball. ttar looks awesome, playmat worthy!

IF I were to make one of these a playmat would you mind? I could of course add in a credit or your signature at the bottom. Oh, have you done Dragonite yet? Dragonite and TTar are my two favorite pokemon, i'd love to see a Dnite.

IF I were to make one of these a playmat would you mind? I could of course add in a credit or your signature at the bottom. Oh, have you done Dragonite yet? Dragonite and TTar are my two favorite pokemon, i'd love to see a Dnite.
I'll do Dragonite tomorrow, as I don't want to make more than one set of warps per day. Also, I wouldn't mind if you made it into a playmat. You don't even have to credit me, the fact that you like my art enough to use it as a playmat is good enough for me.

The Volcarona made me think of the Eye of Heaven. xD
All of these are awesome! :)
What exactly is the Eye of Heaven? Could you show me a picture?

What exactly is the Eye of Heaven? Could you show me a picture?
Fullmetal-Alchemist-60-Large-41.jpg

fig,black,shortsleeve_one_piece,ffffff.u1.jpg

Hey guys, just a reminder to keep discussions on topic. If you would like to ask questions related to something that might be off-topic, such as from an anime, please do so through PM or profile comments.

Thanks! :)

Hey guys, just a reminder to keep discussions on topic. If you would like to ask questions related to something that might be off-topic, such as from an anime, please do so through PM or profile comments.

Thanks! :)

Okay, I guess I was getting a little off-topic. I was actually really startled when I found out that one of my posts was deleted from my own thread. I'll keep it on-topic from now on.

With that out of the way, here's four more warps! One was a request, and the other three were chosen by me.

First is Dragonite, as chosen by @GreenPariah.

149.png

Now here's the ones I chose.

031.png

101.png

623.png
Nidoqueen, Electrode, and Golurk.

Last edited:
I think the next challenge for you is to make not only something that looks cool, but also something that has meaning! Using a style like the above pieces but manipulating it to form an abstract image that is more than just pretty patterns.

I think the next challenge for you is to make not only something that looks cool, but also something that has meaning! Using a style like the above pieces but manipulating it to form an abstract image that is more than just pretty patterns.
Maybe collage of sorts, stitch multiple pieces together to form a string of them.

Geez, and I thought my Volcarona warp was small...

I exclude the white pixels in an image when dividing it in half for my warp, so some come out smaller than others, such as Zapdos, Galavantula, and of course Volcarona. However, I never expected them to be this small. This image is only 38 pixels wide and 74 pixels tall. I was gonna post some more warps, but I'm posting this one by itself so you can appreciate its ridiculousness.

Dratini.png
Dratini

Last edited:
Happy April Fools Day! To celebrate this day of pranking, I made ten new Pokémon warps, and they all have the ability Prankster!

Illumise.png

Klefki.png

Liepard.png

Murkrow.png

Riolu.png

Sableye.png

Thundurus.png

Tornadus.png

Volbeat.png

Whimsicott.png
Illumise, Klefki, Liepard, Murkrow, Riolu, Sableye, Thundurus, Tornadus, Volbeat, and Whimsicott.

Last edited:
Five more warps! I'm changing up the format a bit, I'm only going to have one spoiler with all the answers in it.

Chansey.png

Druddigon.png

Emboar.png

Venipede.png

Wigglytuff.png

Chansey, Druddigon, Emboar, Venipede, and Wigglytuff.

Last edited:
Back