Abra, kadabra, alalkazam!

• Thread starter Fire Pokemon Master
  • Start date
off topic- blazikenEXrocks, I have this link but apart from that info I have nothing.
http://www.op.pokemon-tcg.com/content/international/
Sorry if the link is not working. I seem to be having problems right now.
On topic- yeah, abra * would be a good idea. Uri can't stop that because he only sued about kadabra aparently. Although not having a kababra since skyridge is really bad. So many people like that line and it is really popular. Sadly there is nothing we can do unless Uri changes his mind.

You'd think a settlement could be reached. I mean, they're all sensible adults. It shouldn't be that hard.

To me it just seems pointless. Kadabra is just a character that many people love and the spoon thing is just a coincidence. I don't live in Japan so I don't know if Uri is famous there or not. When you buy spoons you don't get any warning on them saying "spoon bending is a registered trademark for Uri Gellar" do you? I reckon we may have missed out on some pretty cool decks because of this.

Man I hope they bring those guys back because they were good duting the good old days when pokemon just got started.:)

FrLg was pretty much screaming for an Alakazam ex, it's so incredibly lame that a Z-list celebrity took that away from us. Plus, trying to sue nintendo is on the same moral scale as shooting Santa.

Also, I'd be rather flattered to have a pokemon based on myself (even though Kadabra is NOT based on Uri...) so I don't know why he's complaining-- it's not as if he earns much money from his "act" anymore*.

The guy appeared on a reality TV show where people ate parts of a Kangaroo I'm sure were very dear to it (not kidding... yes, THOSE bits...). Not relevant to the topic here, I just hate Uri Gellar :p

* Bacon-boy note: "act" as in saying things in a freaky voice and bending a spoon or two. People love that stuff. I'm not sure why, the tramp down the street has a more freaky voice and I consider spoon-bendingment to be a waste of perfectly good cutlery. I hope he attempts to bend a knife next, and I hope it slips and...

And another thing... why hasn't Kadabra been taken away from the GBA games?

AND ITS DEAD SO WE CAN'T REPLY TO IT.

For the GBA thing... I assume he allowed them to do it because it's unfair to the FRLG players who want to complete the 'dex. I suppose he wanted to delete Kadabra in all ways possible. Anime too. I think.

BLazikenEXrocks said:
ON the subject: I still don't understand how kadabra looks like a person! Anyways, Why didn't he sue them for alakazam aswell??? It looks very similar to kadabra. ANd what about Abra??? why isn't he in the tcg as an abra* or something?? (I know abra * sounds odd, but there were treeko, mudkip and torchic *)
Uri Geller didn't sue entirely on the reason for Kadabra's appearence. IIRC there was a reason to do with the original Team Rocket set (released 3 months before the Uri Geller case) where Dark Kadabra in Japanese translated to something similar to "Evil Yuriger". Geller basically tried to sue because he thought Nintendo were making him appear evil, destroying his (extremely small) reputation. Geller couldn't sue entirely based on Kadabra's symbols as they're universal and would have lost anyway.

I don't know if the absense of the Alakazam line is entirely due to Uri Geller seeing as there have been 2 Alakazam lines in Expedition and Skyridge, both released far after the case was dismissed. As for their next appearence, they're basically guaranteed to be in Power Keepers seeing as the D/P set is straight after.

Abhorsen said:
BLazikenEXrocks said:
ON the subject:   I still don't understand how kadabra looks like a person! Anyways, Why didn't he sue them for alakazam aswell??? It looks very similar to kadabra. ANd what about Abra??? why isn't he in the tcg as an abra* or something?? (I know abra * sounds odd, but there were treeko, mudkip and torchic *)
Uri Geller didn't sue entirely on the reason for Kadabra's appearence. IIRC there was a reason to do with the original Team Rocket set (released 3 months before the Uri Geller case) where Dark Kadabra in Japanese translated to something similar to "Evil Yuriger". Geller basically tried to sue because he thought Nintendo were making him appear evil, destroying his (extremely small) reputation. Geller couldn't sue entirely based on Kadabra's symbols as they're universal and would have lost anyway.

I don't know if the absense of the Alakazam line is entirely due to Uri Geller seeing as there have been 2 Alakazam lines in Expedition and Skyridge, both released far after the case was dismissed. As for their next appearence, they're basically guaranteed to be in Power Keepers seeing as the D/P set is straight after.

Why would the release of Alakazam's line be "practically garunteed"...?

jreeves said:
Once D/P comes out there won't be any previous generation Pokemon lines for at least 3-4 sets (as they'll be mostly D/P Pokemon). PK is the last of the Ex series and last of the previous 3 generation series for a while, so they'd be simply stupid to not release the Alakazam line. It's the last chance they'll get for a while so it seems like the perfect opportunity... unless they wanta release them in POP sets, which would be lame.

Abhorsen said:
jreeves said:
Once D/P comes out there won't be any previous generation Pokemon lines for at least 3-4 sets (as they'll be mostly D/P Pokemon). PK is the last of the Ex series and last of the previous 3 generation series for a while, so they'd be simply stupid to not release the Alakazam line. It's the last chance they'll get for a while so it seems like the perfect opportunity... unless they wanta release them in POP sets, which would be lame.

You have a good point . I wish they had released them in the FR/LG set and I was hoping for a chance to see them before the D/P sets came out. I hope to see them after those sets are released.:)

wow i'm glad to see there are actually some people who wondered about alakazam's line.
but this 2 pages have actually mentioned what we're talking bout here (abra,kadabra,alakazam!)

http://pokebeach.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=10485&page=4
http://pokebeach.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=10485&page=5

There was an older thead made but it is looooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng dead now.:)

I didn't know that about the name translation. I knew a little about the case but only read that it was because of the appearance and spoon bending thing. In that case hopefully the line will be in PK. But even if it appears for a short time wont that still be considered as breaking the contract?

As said before, the case with the Psychic and Nintendo was held before the last Abras and Kadabras were printed. So, unless those cards were already being printed in Japan, I see no reason for Nintendo not to release an Alakazam line in PK.

There's other alternatives, also. I saw the exclusion of Kadabra suggested for candies or Abra*, I like them both. But why not just change Kadabra's appearance? If any one remembers, Jynx's skin color was changed to purple since many considered it racially offensive.

There's also just replacing Kadabra, though it is in the middle of an evolution line. Several Pokemon have alternative evolutions, why not add one that has alternative pre-evolutions? I don't get why Kadabra is restricted from the TCG and not the games, but I guessed the fortune-teller was satisfied enough with just the cards.

Or, for on last suggestion, though it's sort of unprobable, make a Kadabra EX :p. The contract only excluded KADABRA right? Or just change a letter in his name XD... yeah that won't work though.

You'll defenitely see some sort of Alakazams here and there, there's already Alakazam*.

The problem with changing the appearance is that there is still a negative opinion on that pokemon afterwards. Even though they changed the colour of jynx, it has not appeared in the anime very much since and when they are repeating old episodes they sometimes still skip the ones containing jynx. So even if this contract was severed the producers might still be hesitant to contain kadabra in the card game or anime. The only idea I can think of is if they went to see Uri and they remade the contract to make it more flexible. But Uri may not agree.

Back