Writing A New Day [CYOA] - Chapter 8!

The paper Cynthia picked up from the floor in Chapter 3 was never opened (I checked). Still not sure what this could be, or if it even means anything. But it sounds a bit too random to be random, if that makes sense. :p I think something's going to come of it. Just not sure what yet.

Cynthia was also unknowingly watched by someone as she exited the school. I'd hazard a guess at this being someone we don't know yet.

"On the opposite side of the room was her closet and a mirror, from which she had trained her eyes to notice the minutest of details by moving parts of her body to see how the muscles flexed, to the point where she could even tell if someone was listening or looking without meeting their gaze. She sat down on the chair by her desk and began brainstorming."
This is a very interesting paragraph. The level of perceptivity isn't exactly new; there are a few TV shows and books I could mention with a character with similar ability––heck, even Fylon, in my own fanfiction, does something like it––but explaining how the character acquired that ability. That's very well done, tgk. :)

And then there's the obvious Ms. Gullabol from Chapter...I think 2 or 3, and Mr. I. Stolit, because there must be bad puns (and, y'know, Pichu) or this wouldn't be a tgk-story. :p

OK, now I must speculate about the dream itself. Might even go so far as to make a...bold prediction. :p

––Lucy Raven yells "Aah!", followed by "Aaaaah!", when confronted by the attorney for the defense. This seems like a reference to Cleffa (which was also mentioned in the chapter before), which in nearly every TCG incarnation has had some variation of "Eeeeek!", with differing numbers of 'e's. This reference is strengthened when Lucy actually yells, "EEK!"

Theory––the next chapter will include Cynthia playing a game of Pokémon with her new idea for a Jumpluff deck, which will feature Cleffa in some form.

––At one point, Lucy spins a magic card in her hand, which reveals a strange symbol. Since this symbol isn't described in detail, I'm inclined to believe it is connected to the shadowy presence watching Cynthia a few chapters ago, which was likewise never described in detail.

Theory––the shadowy presence will make another appearance, which may also be a climax.

Five feathers, huh? Five. Hm. Well, we know there are five primary characters who are not Cynthia. The feathers making an impenetrable wall between Lucy and the bailiff could foreshadow the five primary characters making a wall of sorts, cutting Cynthia off from something that threatens her.

Also, the fact that the shadow appears when it's raining, plus the fact that it's a shadow that can clearly remain unseen when it wants to, plus the reference to Lucy's act involving water, makes me think the shadow could be a Pokémon. Namely, Greninja.

Final Theory and Very Bold Prediction About The Upcoming Chapter (or another chapter that takes place between now and when Cynthia falls asleep again):
Cynthia, playing a game of Pokémon with her friends, is suddenly interrupted when Dylan/Mariana comes over to them. Dylan/Mariana (could be either; but not Tom/Harrison/Elise) looks nervous about something. He/she reveals to Cynthia that she (Cynthia, not Mariana) is being watched. Cynthia recalls the shadowy presence from the previous evening, and shudders. When the shadowy presence – revealed to be Greninja – attacks, Dylan/Mariana calls Elise, Tom, Harrison, and Mariana/Dylan over to help defend from the attack. Elise does this not for Cynthia, but out of friendship for Dylan/Mariana.
But what hope do six humans with no special powers have against a Greninja?
Pichu. The Pichu card Cynthia pulled from the pack comes to life somehow, and, since Electric is super-effective against Water (not that Pichu needs it; nothing defeats Pichu, but for the story's sake) successfully wards off Greninja, and Cynthia is saved. Oh, and now she has a Pichu. :3

Last note is that I'm changing my vote to B: Mariana. Cynthia needs a bit of help right now, but not from Dylan (not yet, at least), IMO.

Last edited:
The paper Cynthia picked up from the floor in Chapter 3 was never opened (I checked). Still not sure what this could be, or if it even means anything. But it sounds a bit too random to be random, if that makes sense. :p I think something's going to come of it. Just not sure what yet.

Cynthia was also unknowingly watched by someone as she exited the school. I'd hazard a guess at this being someone we don't know yet.

"On the opposite side of the room was her closet and a mirror, from which she had trained her eyes to notice the minutest of details by moving parts of her body to see how the muscles flexed, to the point where she could even tell if someone was listening or looking without meeting their gaze. She sat down on the chair by her desk and began brainstorming."
This is a very interesting paragraph. The level of perceptivity isn't exactly new; there are a few TV shows and books I could mention with a character with similar ability––heck, even Fylon, in my own fanfiction, does something like it––but explaining how the character acquired that ability. That's very well done, tgk. :)

And then there's the obvious Ms. Gullabol from Chapter...I think 2 or 3, and Mr. I. Stolit, because there must be bad puns (and, y'know, Pichu) or this wouldn't be a tgk-story. :p

OK, now I must speculate about the dream itself. Might even go so far as to make a...bold prediction. :p

––Lucy Raven yells "Aah!", followed by "Aaaaah!", when confronted by the attorney for the defense. This seems like a reference to Cleffa (which was also mentioned in the chapter before), which in nearly every TCG incarnation has had some variation of "Eeeeek!", with differing numbers of 'e's. This reference is strengthened when Lucy actually yells, "EEK!"

Theory––the next chapter will include Cynthia playing a game of Pokémon with her new idea for a Jumpluff deck, which will feature Cleffa in some form.

––At one point, Lucy spins a magic card in her hand, which reveals a strange symbol. Since this symbol isn't described in detail, I'm inclined to believe it is connected to the shadowy presence watching Cynthia a few chapters ago, which was likewise never described in detail.

Theory––the shadowy presence will make another appearance, which may also be a climax.

Five feathers, huh? Five. Hm. Well, we know there are five primary characters who are not Cynthia. The feathers making an impenetrable wall between Lucy and the bailiff could foreshadow the five primary characters making a wall of sorts, cutting Cynthia off from something that threatens her.

Also, the fact that the shadow appears when it's raining, plus the fact that it's a shadow that can clearly remain unseen when it wants to, plus the reference to Lucy's act involving water, makes me think the shadow could be a Pokémon. Namely, Greninja.

Final Theory and Very Bold Prediction About The Upcoming Chapter (or another chapter that takes place between now and when Cynthia falls asleep again):
Cynthia, playing a game of Pokémon with her friends, is suddenly interrupted when Dylan/Mariana comes over to them. Dylan/Mariana (could be either; but not Tom/Harrison/Elise) looks nervous about something. He/she reveals to Cynthia that she (Cynthia, not Mariana) is being watched. Cynthia recalls the shadowy presence from the previous evening, and shudders. When the shadowy presence – revealed to be Greninja – attacks, Dylan/Mariana calls Elise, Tom, Harrison, and Mariana/Dylan over to help defend from the attack. Elise does this not for Cynthia, but out of friendship for Dylan/Mariana.
But what hope do six humans with no special powers have against a Greninja?
Pichu. The Pichu card Cynthia pulled from the pack comes to life somehow, and, since Electric is super-effective against Water (not that Pichu needs it; nothing defeats Pichu, but for the story's sake) successfully wards off Greninja, and Cynthia is saved. Oh, and now she has a Pichu. :3

Last note is that I'm changing my vote to B: Mariana. Cynthia needs a bit of help right now, but not from Dylan (not yet, at least), IMO.

Magnifique. Bravo, Jabberwock.
I support all of this speculation.

This is a chapter that will require a lot of speculation.
Should she
A) Play Super Smash Bros: Melee
or
B) Play Mario Kart: Double Dash?

Last edited:
A lot of speculation, you say? Very well...

First thing actually comes up in the first line. Elise charms Tom. I went back and checked, and Elise doesn't ever flirt with Harrison or Dylan; it's only Tom. So, since Cynthia/Dylan's relationship isn't quite existent yet, Elise/Tom is the only real romance in the story right now. That'll be important later.

Also notable is that no one actually wants to pair up with Elise, for all of her flirting and charm. Tom looks around to see if anyone else is left, and Dylan and Harrison pair up immediately. Mariana went to Cynthia. This will also be important later––albeit much much later. It's the first time Cynthia has really scored a point over Elise.

And then there's Cynthia. Evidently she read my fanfiction at one point. :p

Anyway, Cynthia then recalls the shadow she felt watching her a few chapters ago, which I'd extrapolate is meant to make us keep the shadow in mind for the next few paragraphs.

What happens in the next few paragraphs?

Cynthia gets clubbed in the head by a racquet thrown from inside the storage room. Who could have been inside the storage room after class was dismissed, d'you think? The shadow (which––remember––I think is Greninja).

Next order (hehe) of business is the scene Cynthia observes while unconscious. If we assume that this has all the same properties as a normal (or at least, normal for Cynthia) dream, we know that it's a very fine line between imagination and reality.

Who are the blushing boy and the flustered girl?

I honestly thought is was Tom and Elise for a moment––hence "that'll be important later". Turns out it's not. I still think Elise's and Tom's relationship (or lack thereof) will be important later, but it's likely not relevant for this chapter.

So is it someone we've never met? It's obviously the scene where the paper (if you don't remember that bit, go back and read it. >:L) gets dropped, and we know that happened some time prior to the first chapter. So it could be likely that we don't know the person.

But here's the thing. Cynthia shouldn't know them, either. I think the boy is Dylan, the flustered girl is Cynthia, and the other girl is Mariana.

Yes, I know Dylan wasn't the one to have dropped the paper originally. But this is a two-part dream, the way I see it. The first part is obviously drawing both ours (as readers) and Cynthia's attention back to the paper (which, by the way, I want to get opened in the next chapter. :p). The second part is the developing relationships. In this chapter, we have both Mariana and Dylan growing closer to Cynthia (albeit in different ways), and she subconsciously realizes this in the dream. Note that later in the chapter, when Dylan waves to her, she feels a bit flustered––just like how she was in the dream.

Just putting a note here––Dr. Hugh R. Sick. :p

Also, this: "Not a clue, Dr. Sick. I stepped into the room and a raquet came flying at me, then I blacked out."
She didn't actually step into the room. She stepped toward it. Then the racquet came from inside the room. I think this is just a sign of her mental/emotional/physical state, though, and not any hidden message.

So now it's time for the ultimate decision. I have two objectives in mind for chapters to come––getting Cynthia to open the paper, and getting Cynthia to play a game of Pokémon (hopefully triggering the chain of events I put in my last analysis).

I can't figure out the paper bit from the choices we have (although doubtless one of them would lead to the paper being opened), but I do think letting Cynthia play a video game with Pichu in it is a good choice. @Yeowie, I'm fully expecting you to choose the same.

##VOTE(A): SUPER SMASH BROS.: MELEE

##VOTE: A) SSBM

Like, if you get sucked into virtual reality or something, Cynthia is totally gonna black out again, but who cares!

And then there's Cynthia. Evidently she read my fanfiction at one point. :p
Yes! I noticed that too! :D

My vote is obviously Melee. Is that even a question? You could play as stinking Mew in that game! How does it get any better?! :D
Oh, wait... She's gonna be Pichu...

B for Double Dash because that's the one of the two that I actually have. Besides, some people take that one too seriously.

And by that one, I mean Melee.

Last edited by a moderator:
New theory––

The dreams are decided by a vote that occurs during the previous day.

What, you want evidence? Fine... :p

There are five main characters who aren't Cynthia. There are five possible dreams. Each day, we have at least one vote between all five characters––the first time was for a teammate in slahal; the second was for an opponent in badminton. Whoever we vote for corresponds to a dream; we get that dream.
There was a tie between Elise, Mariana, Tom, and Dylan for the first vote, and we got a Phoenix Wright-based dream.

TGK confirmed that next chapter has a dream in it, so here's where I try to predict which dream it is. :p

Dylan loves animals, as per the description in the OP. Dylan = Animal Crossing.

Phoenix Wright corresponds to either Elise, Mariana, or Tom. Harrison ≠ Phoenix Wright.

TGK also hinted that one of my initial predictions will be proven wrong in the next chapter. My initial prediction was Mariana = Legend of Zelda. So now we know that Mariana ≠ Legend of Zelda.

Also, at least two of my initial predictions were correct. Here's the entire list:

Dylan = Animal Crossing
Elise = Phoenix Wright
Mariana = Legend of Zelda
Tom = Fire Emblem
Harrison = Pokémon Mystery Dungeon

I'm assuming Dylan was one of the correct ones. The other isn't Mariana, so it's either Elise, Tom, or Harrison.

Elise was the one I had the most solid reasoning for (her personality makes me think she'd be a good attorney, in an abstract sort of way), so I'm going to make a huge assumption that Elise = Phoenix Wright.

Now, Mariana has to be either Fire Emblem or PMD. Her personality, as described by TGK, makes boys think she's 'out of their league', and makes girls jealous of her. This makes her lonely. What better for a lonely person than Pokémon Mystery Dungeon, where you can choose a different character even after taking a personality quiz? And Pokémon wouldn't think she's 'out of their league' or be jealous, or anything. So I'm definitely leaning toward Mariana = Pokémon Mystery Dungeon.

This leaves Tom and Harrison, to be matched up to Legend of Zelda and Fire Emblem. Tom can't be FE, because only two of my earlier guesses were correct, so he's Legend of Zelda. Harrison's FE by default.

Dylan = Animal Crossing
Elise = Phoenix Wright
Mariana = Pokémon Mystery Dungeon
Tom = Legend of Zelda
Harrison = Fire Emblem

So yeah. I think the dream will take place in the world of PMD. Thoughts, anyone?

I think my mind just exploded.
What would be even better is if eventually, they all got split up and had to journey through the different worlds, but I doubt that.
Or even stranger... all of them TF to things related to their matching games.
XD

I think my mind just exploded.
What would be even better is if eventually, they all got split up and had to journey through the different worlds, but I doubt that.
Or even stranger... all of them TF to things related to their matching games.
XD
What's TF mean?

Tom is the best. We love Tom. Tom rules over all. All shall bow to Tom's greatness. The birds in the trees, they sing for Tom alone. The world knows his holy name, and it praises him. Even the angels look upon his face with awe.
All hail the glorious Tom.

Tom had been walking home from soccer
"Not at all. At least, I think." Tom got up, grabbed his bag, pulled out his phone, pushed Harrison down below the bush, and made it look like he'd been walking as Mariana turned around.
"Hello, Mariana. Didn't think I'd meet you here." Tom said cheerfully. "Nice day, isn't it?"
So Tom and Harrison walked off to Tom's house, both smiling.
MORE TOM.
Also, I vote A because she might have an interesting dream. :D

tumblr_n9wcufmvks1reats2o1_500.gif

Predictions! \o/

My first thought on reading this was that Mariana's phone call and Cynthia being trapped inside Melee were linked. On further consideration, though, I realized that it doesn't line up perfectly –– Cynthia passed out a bit before the call, and woke up a while after. I don't think they were simultaneous.

That said, however, I do think the same person was behind both events. The biggest clue that we get to the identity of the one Mariana contacts is this line:

"I threw a tennis racket at her." Came a voice that seemed to be staticy, as though talking through a very old phone. "I wanted that -kssssh-"

Whoever threw the tennis racquet (which used to be a badminton racquet, but whatever :p) is also the one who contacted Mariana, and, I suspect, the one who caused Cynthia to black out again. Wow, this person seems to have a thing for making Cynthia black out, huh? More on that later. :p

In an earlier theory, I speculated that it was the shadow (whom I also believe is a Pokémon) who threw the racquet at Cynthia. This would mean, however, that either Pokémon can now talk, or Mariana's actually talking to the shadow Pokémon's Trainer. Let's go with the latter.

Now, what did the Shadow Trainer want? Well, what does Cynthia have that is now missing?

Yup, the watch. Note that Cynthia doesn't check her wrist; she pats herself down. So she doesn't have a wristwatch, but rather a pocketwatch. Much like a golden one Mariana revealed at the beginning of the chapter.

So, by this point, my guess is that the Shadow Pokémon used a form of hypnosis to knock Cynthia out, allowing Mariana to swipe the watch.

Just one problem with all this: what does the watch do? If Mariana didn't mention that she had the watch, it probably means she knows it does something, and doesn't want to give it to the Shadow. Where would she have learned that it does something, though?

Not sure. I'd like to hear others' thoughts on this. :)

Oh, and ##VOTE: A. The watch won't be there; no point looking for it. Might as well see the next dream sequence to figure out how to predict the ones after that. :p

EDIT: Forgot to put in stuff about the romances. I'm all for Tom/Harrison, and I'll be VERY disappointed should it not work out, so all of you make sure you vote the right way for it. :p

Last edited:
In an earlier theory, I speculated that it was the shadow (whom I also believe is a Pokémon) who threw the racquet at Cynthia. This would mean, however, that either Pokémon can now talk, or Mariana's actually talking to the shadow Pokémon's Trainer. Let's go with the latter.
I actually think it might be Fox, because Fox talks through static-y radios and her Melee event had a red X over Fox. Maybe you choose a character, and then turn into that character-?

I actually think it might be Fox, because Fox talks through static-y radios and her Melee event had a red X over Fox. Maybe you choose a character, and then turn into that character-?
Fox talks through radios? Now I wish I knew stuff about more Nintendo characters. >_<

Also noticed something moved very fast in the last paragraph of the chapter. Fox does that in Melee, too, right? All I've played is Brawl. :p

I'll try to piece this together later. The theories keep on coming. :p

Back