A Guide to the Unlimited Format

Your Master

Aspiring Trainer
Ah, unlimited, the widely hated and widely underplayed format in the Pokemon TCG. But, my question is why it is so hated? Most people would be quick to answer one of the most common statements I see about the format "it is a donk or be donked/lock or be locked format". Now why this is mostly true, that isn't a necessary reason to hate it.

If you take a look at our current format, it takes relatively no skill compared to most past formats. On top of that, it is getting increasingly more expensive, and there is an immense power creep. This, is dragging a lot of players out of the game, but there is a way to still enjoy the game. Play unlimited.

Now, before I get into all of this pro/con bs of unlimited and all that jazz, let me fully explain how unlimited works as well as I can. As you probably already know, unlimited allows the players to use any cards except for WC, Banned, Jumbo, or any other non allowed cards in organized play. With that said, there are three main strategies being donk, stall, and lock. The strongest of these are donk and lock, although most stall decks use a form of lock, which form kind of a 50/50 matchup. Also, to succeed well in unlimited, you will probably play either 4 Sableye SF to go first or 4 Spiritomb AR to lock(with the optional addition of First Ticket to both).

Donk decks commonly resort to Sableye as their starter because they want to win as quickly as they can. Popular donk decks, consist of things such as Porydonk(Porygon2/Driflbim UD), Sabledonk(Sableye SF/Crobat G/Other Damage Spreading Cards), and Spread(Sabledonk,FEES(Emboar BW/Espeon AQ/Forretress LA), and random spread pokemon combined with Sabledonk). Of these, Porydonk is by far the most popular choice, and it could possibly be the most popular deck used in unlimited. It is also probably the most reliable, but I'll get more into that later.

Lock/Stall decks have a much larger variety than donk decks do, and they tend to use Spiritomb more than Sableye. The commonly seen lock/stall decks are:Vilelock(Spiritomb AR/Dark Vileplume/Random Attacker), Quad Muk ex(Muk ex/Sometimes Spiritomb or Sableye), Quad Spiritomb Troll, Muk Fossil Variants, Total Lockdown (Aggron ex/Aerodactyl Fossil/Dark Vileplume), and rarely you see Holon Lock(Delta Golduck/Holon Circle/Unown Z). The most common of these are Muk ex and Vilelock. Muk ex is so good because it stops basically everything in unlimited and has ascension Grimer. Vilelock is just good because Dark Vileplume locks Trainers, Supporters, and Stadiums.

Occasional random decks, though, can appear in unlimited with such a vast pool of cards. I've seen decks that utilize Flygon from Boundaries Crossed and combine it with something like Dark Vileplume and then just draw pass. I have seen decks that just use things that abuse Paralysis(although with Scoop Up being popular it isn't that great) using Accelgor since it is so easy to keep cycling them. I've seen people using Pokemon with disconnect to just trainer lock their opponent while they set up. I've heard of a deck that is very odd that uses Blastoise from Boundaries Crossed with Shuckle Promo and Espeon AQ to draw their whole deck but they play like a 1-1-1 Dark Vileplume and an Unown Z and just deck out their opponent. There are really probably hundreds of possible combos with some cool cards that can compete with the top tiers of unlimited. I really like a combo you can do that is t1 Sableye uses Impersonate to get Ghetsis and destroy your opponent's hand. Heck, you could play Durant with Vileplume, and that's something you never would have done in modified.

Now, I'm gonna go ahead and show you some deck skeletons with some basic strategies/combos of the main three decks. The rest of the decks are pretty easy to figure out what to put in them as almost every deck uses the same basic trainer draw engine, and I will eventually add some more skeletons if requested.

Porydonk:
2-2 Porygon2 GE
1-1 Drifblim UD with Shiny Drifloon
4 Sableye SF
3-4 Uxie LA
1 Azelf LA

4 Seeker
4 Item Finder
1 Computer Search
4 Scoop Up
2 Broken Time Space
4 Pokedrawer +
4 Erika
2-4 Professor Oak
4 Pokedex Handy910

1 Boost Energy

That is 44-47 cards leaving 16-13 spots. There are a good amount of techs that can be thrown in here, but I'll tell you about some of the more popular and more useful ones.

Rotom UD
Rotom is basically the reason you can afford to run 1-1 Drifblim with 1 Boost Energy. If you combo this with Azelf, you can get anything you need out of your prizes.

Crobat G
I personally run 1 Crobat G because I run 1 Special Dark and some Pokemon Collectors and Roseanne's Research. This alllows Sableye to KO opposing Sableyes and Spiritombs.

Regice LA
I run 1 to help with the huge weakness that this deck has against Spiritomb. If you do run 1, you need Collectors and Roseanne's.

Unown R
Can be used for weak draw power, but you don't really need it.

Collector/Roseanne
These cards can be so helpful with Spiritombs and just getting set up in general. You just have to test a lot to get down the magic number for your list.

Luxury Ball
I think that this is pretty much a staple, but you can get by without it. You get any pokemon so it's pretty good.

VS Seeker
If you run any you run 1. This essentially gives you 5 Seeker, but your opponent won't usually have 5 benched Pokemon. Also, you already have Item Finder to get back Seekers.

Pokemon Communication
This can help you search for things you need to get set up and allows you to ditch useless Pokemon like Sableye and extra Porygon(2)'s.

Alph Lithograph/Here Comes Team Rocket/Towm Map
You can use this in place of Azelf to combo with Rotom if you don't want to take up the bench space, but imo, Azelf is the superior in this case.

Expert Belt
An alternative to Crobat G that helps when attacking with Sableye, but this won't help you against Spiritomb.

Fast Ticket
Some people run four, if they have space, just to double their chances of going first. Not a bad tech choice if you have the room.

Special Dark Energy
This allows Sableye to attack if the situation is bad, but this can actually win you games.

Strategy:
If you don't know, this decks focus is to use Porygon2's pokepower Download to keep reusing Seeker until the opponent is left only with an active Pokemon. Then, you use Drifblim's Attack to shuffle it and the defending Pokemon into the deck and you win.

Muk ex:
4-4 Muk ex with Ascension Grimer

4 Erika
4 Poke Drawer+
4 Item Finder
1 Computer Search
2-4 Professor Oak
4 Expert Belt
2 Broken Time Space
1 Luxury Ball
4 Pokedex Handy910

10-12 Grass Energy

THis takes up 44-48 Spots leaving a nice 16-14 cards of your choice. Here are some that I'd recommend.

Spiritomb AR/Sableye SF
Your choice between the two for a starter. Spiritomb would help against donks, but you have to get it out of the active spot(probably would combo with Warp Energy). Sableye would just make you go first.

First Ticket
Might as well throw it in since you have the room and to help you get your t1 lock off.

Energy Removal/Super Energy Removal
This is pretty much not going to help with that many decks other than the mirror so consider it if you fear the mirror.

Max Potion/Other Healing Cards
This can help you tank, but only helps against decks that actually do damage.

Pokemon Collector
Gets all of your Grimers in one turn if one is already out. That could be pretty beneficial don't you think?

Ghetsis
Although this is a newer card, if you get a t1 Ghetsis, it will smack donk decks in the face. Also, you opponent will probably always have some trainers in hand.

Energy Retrieval
Helps get back discarded energy which is pretty self explanatory.

Night Maintenance
This gives you more resources and helps you not deck out, so it's a win-win.

Gust of Win/Pokemon Catcher
You get to choose what dies which is always good.

Warp Energy
Combos nicely with both Spiritomb and Sableye if used correctly.

Strategy:
The strategy for Muk ex is really self explanatory. All you have to do is swarm Muk ex because his pokebody shuts off all other powers and bodies. You just keep Muk alive and keep swinging with its attacks until you win.

Vilelock
4 Spiritomb AR
(Dark) Vileplume[UD]

4 Poke Drawer+
4 Erika
1 Computer Search
2-4 Broken Time Space
2-4 Professor Oak
4 Pokedex Handy910
4 Item Finder
1 Luxury Ball

With this skeleton, you have 26-30 cards. Now, you may notice I didn't actually include a Dark Vileplume line. That is because it all really depends on your build of the deck, and I don't really recommend any certain number. But anyway, here are some suggestions.

Unown Z
I don't know why, but I like this in any stall/lock deck. The reasoning behind this is because you will go through your deck fast in your first turn that you start looping Erikas and other draw cards, so you will be down to 0 cards quickly if you don't take a quick 6 prizes.

Yanmega Prime(only for Vileplume UD variants)
I absolutely love the idea of this as an attacker for a few reasons. First, it hits pretty hard for unlimited standards. Second, it attacks for free if combo/d with Copycat/Judge. Third, Copycat/Judge are good in trainer lock.

Cincinno Do the Wave
For a DCE and a full bench, this thig OHKOs every major card in the unlimited metagame making it a great main attacker.

Gengar SF
Absolute monster to combo with Dark Vileplume and Vileplume UD alike. The only thing that would make him better would be if he wasn't a stage 2, but it is workable.

Any Good Attacker
Those were just three examples of good attackers in the deck, but anything that can do some decent damage for 1-2 energy would be fine in the deck. Some examples of this are Donphan Prime and maybe Tornadus EX.

Uxie LA
DRAW POWA

Pokemon Communication
Especially helps if you plan on using Gengar to help get out 2-3 Gengar and Vileplume even though it will still be difficult.

Rare Candy/Pokemon Breeder
This is the main reason why your (Dark)Vileplume line depends on your list. If you run candy/breeder that will affect how many of each stage you play, although 3-4 Oddish is probably smart. One thing to note is that you MUST have BTS in play to use these on the turn you played Oddish.

Warp Energy
Gets Spiritomb outta there.

Other than what I have listed above, you will need some energy depending on your attacker. As far as other TSS go, you can really put anything in that you put in any other decks as long as you use them before Vileplume comes out.

Strategy:
If you play any Gloom, Spiritomb is your ideal start in case you cannot get a t1 Vileplume because Spiritomb can evolve your benched Oddish. Your order of doing things is to keep Spiritomb active until you have your attacker ready. Then, you retreat and spam all of your trainers to get Vileplume up. That's how I would play it, but if you wanted to, you could use a Sableye/Fast Ticket Variant to get a more reliable t1 trainer spam/Vileplume.

Conclusion:
Pros: Fun, Wide Variety of Combos, Cheap($60) Decks, No Stupidly Overpowered Decks(There is pretty much a counter to everything.), You can set some extra rules with friends because who actually gaff.
Cons: Some Annoying Donks and Locks, No Sanctioned Events, No Rulings on Certain Combos
Well, that is pretty much unlimited in a nut shell. If enough people actually seem to give any interest to this thread I can add a lot more info, but until then, go have some real fun with unlimited.

Now, readers, that was all about COMPETITIVE unlimited, but there are some leagues, like my own, that don't like those decks. This is why I will be making this section. This next section will be all about less overpowered decks you could maybe play if you didn't want to play with the decks above. There are literally hundreds, so I will just post some of my own ideas, as well as requests. Just to make these decks a bit more fair, I banned the following cards. If you have ideas for other bans, just give me some suggestions. I mostly just banned the most broken pokemon.
Sableye SF
Spiritomb AR
Muk ex
Muk Fossil
Dark Vileplume
Porygon2
Erika
Professor Oak
Cards with Similar Effects ex. Catcher and Gust of Wind

Poison.deck:
Luispipe8 posted that he played a cool little deck that used Whirlipede and Skuntank G that actually gave me some gold memories from a deck I wanted to revive as an unlimited deck, but it wasn't good enough to be top tier. So, our first fun unlimited deck will be Poison.dek(needs better name I know lol).

Pokemon:
4 Seviper CoL
3 Skuntank G
3-1 Uxie Lv.X
4 Crobat G
1 Azelf LA

TSS:
2 Virbank
4 Pokedrawer +
4 Pokedex Handy910
2 Expert Belt
4 Scoop Up
4 Poketurn
2 Collector
2 Roseanne's
4 Item Finder
4 PONT
1 Luxury Ball
3 Cyrus's Conspiricy

6 Psychic
2 DCE

Strategy:
Use Skuntank G's power to poison both acives. This allows Seviper's attack to do more damage. Expert Belt+Crobat G add more damage for hitting really friggin hard.

TankAnt
Pokemon:
4 Durant NVI
1 Azelf LA

TSS:
4 Eviolite
4 Catcher
4 Crushing Hammer
3 Enhanced Hammer
4 Dual Ball
4 Twins
4 Revive
4 Item Finder
2 Snowpoint Temple
4 Scoop Up
4 Quick Ball
4 N

Energy:
10 Metal

Strategy:
The strategy for this deck is just what the strategy was for Durant.dek in its golden days. You keep streaming your Durants and keep Devouring their deck until they deck out.

Wow, great guide! :) Thanks for writing it. Although you forgot to include strategies for muk ex and vilelock.

And you may also add some non-lock/non-donk deck strategies, since in some leagues or places(like it happened in mine) those decks are banned to actually give some excitement and fun to the game. May I suggest Take Out Machamp, or Magdol? I actually ran a ZekEels deck with Lanturn Prime as my main attacker, and another one with EP Whirlipede/BC Scolipede+Skuntank G+Keldeo-EX+Virbank, since with one energy, Whirlipede could hit for 70+30 poison damage. It's a really fun format as long as those decks above are restricted. And before I forgot it, we also limited cards with the same effect to 4(Professor Juniper+Professor Oak, or Gust of Wind+Pokemon Catcher).

Thank you both for acknowledging my post, and I will get right on both of your guys's requests after I get done with my game on Playtcg.me be sure to check back tomorrow morning.

@Luispipe8 I kinda threw something together really quick lemme know what you think
@Catfish Fixed

I've decided that I will add one new deck every day. It will alternate between competitive unlimited and fun decks, unless I get special requests. Also, maybe once or twice a week, I'll add some more things to the article. I could maybe talk about like some popular draw engines and do maybe a card of the week or something. What do you guys think about that?

I really enjoyed reading this! It would be cool to have an unlimited tournament here sometime.

RE: A Guide to the Unlimited Format 53

Thanks a lot, I put a good amount of time into it. If we did have a tournament(can't really do one online with no simulators carrying older cards) would you do it with some modified rules to prevent donks and locks?

Your Master said:
Thanks a lot, I put a good amount of time into it. If we did have a tournament(can't really do one online with no simulators carrying older cards) would you do it with some modified rules to prevent donks and locks?

There's actually a simulator called TCG ONE that started with Base Set and is working its way forward. The creator is a member here and made a thread about the simulator. You can get all the info there. It currently has Base Set through Expedition and seems to get new sets added pretty quickly.

Yeah I've played it, but since it doesn't have all of the cards, it isn't ready for unlimited imo.

Redshark has all the cards, but only has images for BLW-on.

yeah but its redshark :( lol. Anyway, eventually tcgone will have everything and we can play unlimited all day ery day.

Ok, for my contribution on the Fun Unlimited Decks I'll be talking about a deck that really grew on me, since it was a really fun and powerful deck:
Lanturn Prime/Eels:
Pokemon(20):
4 Chinchou (EX Hidden Legends 57)
3 Lanturn Prime (Unleashed 86)
1 Lanturn (Legends Awakended 59)
3 Tynamo (Noble Victories 38)
3 Eelektrik (Noble Victories 40)
4 Sableye (Stormfront 48)
2 Zekrom (Black and White 47)
Trainers(30):
2 Professor Oak's New Theory
2 Professor Juniper/Professor Oak
3 Engineer's Adjustments
3 N
3 Skyla
3 Pokemon Communication
4 Level Ball
3 Switch
1 Luxury Ball
1 Super Rod
3 Pokemon Catcher/Gust of Wind
2 Sunyshore City Gym
Energy(10):
8 Lightning
2 Double Colorless Energy

Strategy:

Start with Sableye to search every trainer with Impersonate>Skyla, Attack first with Zekrom and start building up Lanturn Prime. If a deck loads a lot of energy, use LA Lanturn, which deals a Glaciate-like attack, dealing 30 damage to each opponent's pokemon with energy.

Your Master said:
I like that it can abuse some older cards, but it's not broken.

Actually it's pretty fun, that's what we used to do in our "League" before it was an Official League. There were a lot of funny decks, and cool variations of current decks. Just imagine Blastoise or Emboar with Broken Time-Space... O.O

I have done a major overhaul on the deck; I'm focusing on the Charizard from the Arceus expansion set. Its power is based on having a full bench of Fire pokemon. To that end, it looks like Blaziken FB LVX and Infernape 4 LVX are good. Blaziken FB's first attack lets me drag a benched pokemon to the active position; that pokemon is automatically burned. Blaziken FB LVX has the Poke Body Burning Spirit, which increases damage done to burned pokemon by 40. Infernape 4 LVX has the Poke Power Intimidating Roar, which forces my opponent to switch the active pokemon with a benched pokemon.

Blaziken FB LVX can set me up for massive damage, and is the more important LVX for my deck, I think. Infernape 4 LVX is more to drag out pokemon that could be a problem later. Eh, I think maybe Blaziken is good enough support, so that's what I've got here.

4 Charmander Arceus
1 Charmeleon Arceus
4 Charizard Arceus
2 Blaziken FB
2 Blaziken FBLVX
4 Sableye SF

4 Poke Drawer +
4 Erika
4 Pokedex Handy 910 is
3 Gust of Wind
4 Broken Space Time
1 Ghetsis
2 Lass
3 Rare Candy
3 Item Finder

3 Holon Fire Fighting Energy
12 Fire Energy

That looks like a really fun to use deck at league!!!
PS. Sorry for not posting daily, been busy with following worlds and what not and school is starting back up...

Thanks. Shortly after I put it up, I started thinking about Unseen Forces Houndoom. The Poke Body Lonley keeps my opponent from using any Trainers other than Supporters so long as I've got less pokemon on the field. I was thinking this Houndoom might work well with BC Charizard. Charge BC Charizard with DCE, get a Houndoom on the bench, and use Trainers like Erika's Perfume to add pokemon to my opponent's bench.

Back