Blog A Formidable Friendship — A Look at How Giratina-EX and Garbodor May Seize the Format

I have a lack of Standard Decks right now. I have the materials for this fiendish deck style. I'm starting to be swayed by the Void. The thought of Giratina/Garbador/Kelfki.

This: It's a Terrifying Inspiration. I don't even like Garbotoxin and yet it still is slinking back into my mind now.

Great article! I like both of these lists a lot! However, I tend to think that the M Rayquaza-EX match-up is more "nuetral" than "positive," even though you didn't mention nuetral match-ups. Even with the ability and FFB on a Giratina-EX, M Rayquaza-EX can still get off a KO on their turn one. As long as the Ray player can either string together a couple of Hex Maniac or a combo of Hex Maniac and Pokemon Ranger (gotta have those energy), it is easily a toss up, in my opinion.

Cool read, friend; always good to see some new faces in the blog scene.

These decks also struggle a bit against Mega Scizor; Garbodor allows Scizor to crush Giratina and his precious DDEs for a clean 2HKO. Scizor can also toss your Stadiums, which is not the end of the world, but it's still quite a pain. Without an outlet for Double Dragon Energy, Darkrai-EX's damage becomes a lot more manageable. Scizor can also set up faster and isn't reliant on spamming Max Elixir to get going. I'd say whoever goes first would have the advantage in this matchup.

The Fairy version of this deck has a harder time against Scizor, since Xerneas is weak to Metal. Getting your Stadium clipped is also bigger deal for this version.

I also would have liked to see you go into detail a little about why you feel some matchups are better or worse for these decks. For example, I think the Zyleplume matchup is more in your favor than theirs; their strength lies in locking your items, and Garbodor shuts Vileplume down.

These are minor points, though. Good luck to you this month :)

Great article! I like both of these lists a lot! However, I tend to think that the M Rayquaza-EX match-up is more "nuetral" than "positive," even though you didn't mention nuetral match-ups. Even with the ability and FFB on a Giratina-EX, M Rayquaza-EX can still get off a KO on their turn one. As long as the Ray player can either string together a couple of Hex Maniac or a combo of Hex Maniac and Pokemon Ranger (gotta have those energy), it is easily a toss up, in my opinion.

No it's an extremely favourable matchup. What you do is you make sure you parallel city them to three bench spaces the turn you chaos wheel, now they can either hex maniac you and attack for 90, or they can pokemon ranger and play a skyfield to set up next turn. They can't do both on the same turn, and if they lysandre they can still only do 90. I run three parallel cities, the ray match is popular in my area and it's a very good matchup for me.

Technically the Mega Rayquaza player could play a Paint Roller, which would discard the Parallel City, allowing for 5 bench spaces, and then play a Hex or Lysandre to hit something for 150. But 150 still doesn't knock out the Giratina and Paint Roller is a terrible use of space for a speed deck like Mega Rayquaza. Although if Giratina really does take over the format, I could see other decks that rely on a specific Stadium teching a Paint Roller or two.

No it's an extremely favourable matchup. What you do is you make sure you parallel city them to three bench spaces the turn you chaos wheel, now they can either hex maniac you and attack for 90, or they can pokemon ranger and play a skyfield to set up next turn. They can't do both on the same turn, and if they lysandre they can still only do 90. I run three parallel cities, the ray match is popular in my area and it's a very good matchup for me.

It might just be me and my experiences then, as I've never had major problems with Giratina-EX while using M Rayquaza-EX. It might be because I run a higher count of Super Rod, and ran a higher count of Sacred Ash, both being at 3 a piece at one time or another because of Parallel City >.> I'm in no way saying M Ray is favored against Giratina, just that I don't think it's as bad of a match-up as you're stating. It definitely leans towards Giratina-EX, but it is still manageable.

It might just be me and my experiences then, as I've never had major problems with Giratina-EX while using M Rayquaza-EX. It might be because I run a higher count of Super Rod, and ran a higher count of Sacred Ash, both being at 3 a piece at one time or another because of Parallel City >.> I'm in no way saying M Ray is favored against Giratina, just that I don't think it's as bad of a match-up as you're stating. It definitely leans towards Giratina-EX, but it is still manageable.

I guess it all comes down to what techs and particular lists you play, I see a lot of metal ray with Mageana and coballian. I am having a lot of fun in my area when I see a mega ray opposite me, only time I lost was due to a misplay on my part because I was too tired to see the correct play. But overall Garbotina is a pretty reliable deck against almost all the field. Two shots everything. Mega Ray is a great deck against everything that isn't Garbotina from what I can see. Both great decks. Just need the right list.

I was thinking about using Giratina/Vileplume/Octillery/Regice; no tool, no stadium, no item and no special energy for my opponent.

As long as I attack first with Giratina my rival cant attach a tool to Garbodor, and if he does I use Lysandre to kill it.

Back