A Cheap Way Of Getting Back Into The Game

marioman11

Aspiring Trainer
So it's been quite a few years since I've even step into a nearby league but as I've been searching boxes of old cards to sell, it has been making me feel a bit nostalgic. I was an active player in tournaments back in 5th-8th grade and now I'm a high school graduate who's interested in checking out the game again. I remember playing a lot of the old EX and diamond/pearl sets. I think the last event I went to was a pre-release for one of the HG/SS sets.

Are there any safe, money efficient ways I could do to get back into the game? Is it worth the experience? How has the game changed over time?

RE: How to get back into playing?

I only recently began playing, so I do not have any experience with the ex, DP, and HGSS sets. But from what I've seen, most seem to agree that today's modified format is faster, and far more centered on Basic Pokemon (the new EX cards, primarily). This isn't a bad thing, in my opinion, but there are those who object to it.

If you are at all interested in playing the game again, I would have to say that you should at least give it a shot. No matter what I or others tell you, the only way to find out for sure if it's worthwhile is to go at it yourself.

How should you do this? Well I started by playing a deck on an online simulator (specifically PlayTCG, as it does not cost anything to use and gives you access to all modified-legal cards with no other restrictions, but the official simulator, Pokemon Trading Card Game Online/PTCGO is a lot more streamlined, graphically and mechanically, while having a cost to play anything but the provided theme decks).

If you would rather get right into real, physical play, then I would start by going to a close-by league. There, you will be allowed to bring cards outside the legal sets (so your old ex and DP cards are still allowed), although I would encourage you inform your opponent that you are not using a modified deck prior to play, just as a courtesy. If you find yourself interested, you can start to build up your deck with better cards. Alternatively, you can build a modified deck from scratch. If you find yourself leaning towards the latter, I would very much so advise checking out the Deck Garage forum for some ideas. You can also test decks in a simulator before building them for real.

Oh, and you should definitely go to any pre-release events as they occur. It's a great way to play for fun while also getting your hands on new, modified-legal cards. The next prerelease (as I am typing this) is for Furious Fists, which will take place on the weekends of August 2-3 and 9-10.

Have fun!

If you want to practice download the TCG game from the eshop in the 3DS shop. This way you can get the feel again to help you get the basics on how to play again. To download it I think is $.99+tax and then you can play it on your 3DS. It is not like playing the game in real life but it will help you give you ideas on how to build a deck and yeah if you still have cards use them to get your feet in the ground and that should help.:)

Is that even available in the US?
I thought it was a Europe/Japan only thing.

It isn't available in the US yet.

And I wouldn't suggest playing it even if was available. The rules have changed quite a bit since then and you're better off playing with the newer cards and mechanics to learn the game anyway.

dmaster out.

I thought the U.S. had it here as well. I only suggested it to get the feel. Some of the rules are outdated but a least it will get you started. If you can't do that use the online PTCGO thing or whatever that is called. You can also use the pack cards to get more boosters online as well too.:)

Deck Garage is great to check out or you can Google "Budget Pokemon decks"

xxashxx said:
I thought the U.S. had it here as well. I only suggested it to get the feel. Some of the rules are outdated but a least it will get you started. If you can't do that use the online PTCGO thing or whatever that is called. You can also use the pack cards to get more boosters online as well too.:)
Even if it was available, it would be a horrible idea to play it to learn the rules because you would get a totally wong feel...

I suggest:
1) Learn what the most important cards in the format do (read some articles).
2) Go to a league.
3) Borrow a/some tournamnent-ready deck(s) and play against someone else.

See if you like it.

If that does not work then just play the TCG with your physical friends. You could do it online with someone on Skype as well too.:)

Back