#8: Education

When a teacher forgets something (Like multiple cities on the map, I once did the same thing to a teacher using Mercury Pennsylvania) it is a huge deal, but honestly that teacher knows more than the students do, by a lot. So when a teacher forgets something it shouldn't be a huge deal, as long as it is not something incredibly important to the subject (like a math teacher forgetting addition) then just let it go.

As for being bullied by a teacher, that is not the public educations fault, that is more a combination of your fault and the teacher as a person. I've been picked on by teachers, but I took whatever they had to give, cause I really did deserve it.

Where I go to school, standardized tests have a MAJOR impact on the rest of high school. If you don't pass a part of the test, there are several ways to counter that, but it's a bad idea in the first place. This was only implemented for kids who don't care about tests. In all honesty, THOSE students should've been the ones carrying the load, not the entire student body.

I am SO glad that I was home schooled. :p Suckas

Really, they should step up the quality of public schools. I'm so glad that college is free of all the idiots. Yes, the ones who are forced to be there and don't want to be there are all over the place, but they don't have any say in how easy/hard a class is. The most they can do is complain that the class is to hard while you quietly laugh as you hold your A graded paper. ;)

That's what I love about college. You're there, for the most part, because you want to be there. If you want to slack off in one subject, YOU CAN, but it's YOU who's going to have to pay for it. That being said, I do wish they wouldn't make Health a requierment. :x

i believe its just fine because peope that drop out have to do the service jobs educated people dont want to do.
so let dumb people be dumb and ill go be a doctor

afstandopleren said:
For example:
Well, in 6th grade of elementary school, we had to do topography. One of the, in my opinion, easiest subjects...just like everything else was easy on the mind for me. Anyways, at the end, we were given a verbal list of Dutch cities and towns.
Teacher: I want you to learn for tommorrow where Assen, Driebergen, Sittard, and Epe are.
Me *raised my hand*: Which Epe(N)?
Teacher: What do you mean with which Epe? There is only one!
Me: No there are 2 Epe(n)'s. 1 without an N and one with an N.
Teacher *being seriously and obviously annoyed*: Okay, if you think you are right, show it to me.
*She rolls down the map of Holland while I walk towards the board with the map*
Me: There is 1 in Gelderland *points at it* and one in Limburg

The next thing I remember is her being angry and me being send out of the classroom. I bet she didn't like being corrected by a child in front of the class. But hey, even when I was little I expected to learn stuff with quality, not something as vague as this.
I did suffer from her bullying me for the rest of the school year. Like when I was bullied during recess, she would ignore everything I say or purposely ignore me whenever I raised my hand.

That's terrible and wrong. That's why I emphasize that the wrong people go in to teaching and its true, or at least they need to be kind and expect corrections and not think that they're always right. Everyone always has something to learn from others and it's pure truth. :)

- Luigi

I think too little emphasis is on the schools.
the teachers unions say that cutting the budget for schools is "Horrible". It couldn't be further from the truth. The California education system is one of the highest paid in the country, yet we have one of the worst percentages of passing students. And they want MORE? Outrageous...

We should get rid of old teachers? Are you kidding me? At least three-quarters of all my best teachers, the most understanding, knowledgeable, and instructive, have been over the age of forty-ish. With age comes experience and responsibility, and experience can help you get along with young students better than being a just-graduated-former-student can.

When I was talking about how the European schooling system is much better than ours, I was speaking more of Eastern Europe, like Armenia and some parts of the former Soviet Union. My best friend's mom was learning calculus in 8th grade, and here in the US we don't even touch it until the 11th at the earliest (and this was 30 years or so ago too!).

I believe that school should be run much stricter. Unfortunately, public schooling is public, and owned by the government so that nobody has to pay for it and all may access it (this part is a good thing), so it is not at all likely that the government will ever go through tough-enough screening processes to get the best available teachers and resources, especially when the need for educators is so dire.

Imo, if you fail school more than once, you should lose your opportunity to go for free and must pay for it. If it's obvious you don't care about school, you should be kicked out and must face the consequences in the real world - you screwed up your own chance of preparing for it, so you might as well just suck it up when it comes.

Honors classes should really be honors classes; I went through my entire junior year being somewhat lazy and doing assignments last minute or even sometimes not at all, and I still got half As and half Bs. And this isn't me being dumb, I'm just lazy - I scored a 33 on my ACT (perfect score for the Reading portion, 34 on Math, and 33 for English or whatever it is, and 30 on Science - an overall score that places me in the top 1% in the nation). I'm in the top 3% of my class with a 3.65 unweighted GPA (4.35 weighted), something you may think pretty good until you realize that about half of them will drop out by the time I graduate.

Schools should cater to the smarter students, or at least those that put in lots of effort. My senior year is now going to be screwed up because of schedule conflicts - since I am in all AP and seclusive classes (classes that only have one period, like jazz band or chamber orchestra), all of my classes clash with each other and I am being forced to drop three of them for less-challenging classes, or classes that just suck in general. Not only is this happening BECAUSE I am the smartest, but it's happening my SENIOR YEAR, the year that I have wanted to enjoy and have been looking forward too for the longest time.

I can't wait until college - from what everybody has told me, it's much more of a "big-boy" system and weeds out the suckers. However, I will give a thank-you to all the lazy people that sit around and make school such a worse experience than it could be, since they ARE making it that much easier for me to get into a school of choice (yay here I come Air Force Academy).

afstandopleren said:
I still want to empizise the importance of supporting the smarter kids. It's a group with so much potential, yet it's practiaclly r aped (Sorry, this is the only word that comes close to what I have in my mind) by the system.

The reason why is because I am such child. And boy, do I have experienced some disturbing things.

For example:
Well, in 6th grade of elementary school, we had to do topography. One of the, in my opinion, easiest subjects...just like everything else was easy on the mind for me. Anyways, at the end, we were given a verbal list of Dutch cities and towns.
Teacher: I want you to learn for tommorrow where Assen, Driebergen, Sittard, and Epe are.
Me *raised my hand*: Which Epe(N)?
Teacher: What do you mean with which Epe? There is only one!
Me: No there are 2 Epe(n)'s. 1 without an N and one with an N.
Teacher *being seriously and obviously annoyed*: Okay, if you think you are right, show it to me.
*She rolls down the map of Holland while I walk towards the board with the map*
Me: There is 1 in Gelderland *points at it* and one in Limburg

The next thing I remember is her being angry and me being send out of the classroom. I bet she didn't like being corrected by a child in front of the class. But hey, even when I was little I expected to learn stuff with quality, not something as vague as this.
I did suffer from her bullying me for the rest of the school year. Like when I was bullied during recess, she would ignore everything I say or purposely ignore me whenever I raised my hand.

First year of world history we were studying world war 2 and my teacher told us Mussolini was hung to death. But from what I found (I can't be bothered to check if I am right or not), he was shot and then hung by his feet. She kept telling me I was wrong and it pissed me off.

Oh and I remember vividly my friend asked her a question about something one time because he was confused and her response was "I don't know, you tell me." So I told her he asked the question because he wanted you to answer it. She send me out of the room to stand in the hallway. And then my friend told me later he was about to say the same thing.

DarthPika said:
That being said, I do wish they wouldn't make Health a requierment. :x

Agreed there. I thought I was going to college and PAYING to learn what I want to learn. My calc teacher last year mentioned that it really wasn't like that. And now here I am having to take these damn stupid classes next year.

It's terrible when people that have teaching as their job don't teach anything but 'how-not-to-act-in-this-and-this-situation'. Also it's really bad when they make a student feel invisible, that is really devastating for one's confidence.

What's calc mean? :?

IMHO Health class would be okay if they'd teach the important stuff without repeating the important stuff for the dumb dumbs.

Calc = Calculus.

Health classes are a joke. They think they're making you healthier, but the coaches themselves aren't necessary healthy. =/

afstandopleren said:
It's terrible when people that have teaching as their job don't teach anything but 'how-not-to-act-in-this-and-this-situation'. Also it's really bad when they make a student feel invisible, that is really devastating for one's confidence.

What's calc mean? :?

IMHO Health class would be okay if they'd teach the important stuff without repeating the important stuff for the dumb dumbs.

Health classes in college aren't okay. Not only does everyone have to pay for something that they don't need/want they make everyone take STUPID TESTS and it was just a gym class....

Needless to say, I didn't do great in that class just because I was so busy with the much more important classes such as English, Meteorology and College Algebra. How do they expect anyone to take a health class seriously when the questions on the tests are very obscure, and everyone has far more important things to worry about, such as finishing a boat load of Algebra home work, or writing a 1,000 word essay, or perhaps doing a complicated science lab? :/

well i was told by my father the reason for health.
but this is a children's forum so i cannot say the reason.
and health is such a waste of time that almost every 8th grader in my district takes the class during the summer. or even while you are in high school they take it in summer. it's such a waste of time to know only 1 thing...
and if you wanted to know diseases or such you could take immunology or something. basic health that they teach you in health class will most likely be taught in biology.

And i honestly hope that the honors classes are worth the 6.0 GPA scale...

At my school, PE is required to graduate, and I don't like that.
Mainly because I suck at sports.

afstandopleren said:
Which brings me to the following: Bullying. The way the system is setup now, bullying given a chance because the teachers can't see what's going on when he/she has to watch thirty-ish kids all at once. I mean, when looking at that, only idiots would want to become teachers. Sure, low salary is a factor, but the stress of having to watch a few dozen kids while trying to teach, isn't the most healthy task to give your brain.

Last year, the worst bully was my science teacher. The first thing she said to us was that she "hand picked" us.

:S

She hated half the kids in her class, and was always bullying them over something that happened while they were in her class the year before that. One kid in particular, she bullied every day, and gave him bad grades on even the things he studied on. She only stopped when the principal threatened to fire her.

O_O Why didn't they fire her instead of threatening? She obviously is the most terrible teacher of the school, giving a bad rep to the school etc..

Actually, she got fired right after school ended.

They were going to fire her if she got one mire parent complaint, and apparently, she got another one.

Another thing that bothered me: many colleges have a strong, left wing, opinion.
Usually, I wouldn't say anything about this (because everyone is entitled to their own opinion), but the professors not only don't keep those opinions to themselves, they force their students to accept those opinions as facts, and when a student questions the opinion of the professor, they are either embarrassed in front of the class by the professor, and/or, their grades are affected, sometimes severely.

darkrai master777 said:
Another thing that bothered me: many colleges have a strong, left wing, opinion.
Usually, I wouldn't say anything about this (because everyone is entitled to their own opinion), but the professors not only don't keep those opinions to themselves, they force their students to accept those opinions as facts, and when a student questions the opinion of the professor, they are either embarrassed in front of the class by the professor, and/or, their grades are affected, sometimes severely.

But of course it goes the exact other way as well. If you get a highly conservative teacher then you are forced to learn however they teach. I doubt that you would have any complaints if the Colleges were extremely conservative though.

As far as mandatory classes go, things like health and gym should be mandatory, just as Math and Science are mandatory. You say that you shouldn't have to take health or gym because you are bad at it, it is boring, and you won't ever need it. Doesn't the same apply to Math and Science for a decent amount of people?

DawnOfXatu said:
darkrai master777 said:

But of course it goes the exact other way as well. If you get a highly conservative teacher then you are forced to learn however they teach. I doubt that you would have any complaints if the Colleges were extremely conservative though.

As far as mandatory classes go, things like health and gym should be mandatory, just as Math and Science are mandatory. You say that you shouldn't have to take health or gym because you are bad at it, it is boring, and you won't ever need it. Doesn't the same apply to Math and Science for a decent amount of people?

why wouldn't they tell?

darkrai master777 said:

I forgot... Which one's left wing? All about church and stuff like that, or secular?

Paper PokeMaster said:
She hated half the kids in her class, and was always bullying them over something that happened while they were in her class the year before that. One kid in particular, she bullied every day, and gave him bad grades on even the things he studied on. She only stopped when the principal threatened to fire her.
That's never nice... but actually I would like to have some of those teachers again xD. This year we had TOO much nice teachers, it sounds very wrong but I like those mean and strict teachers, not for every subject, but one or two of them is fine. We can make some fun then too, and he/she will probably leave the school within the first few months... yes I can be mean in the class too >:] This all is actually just out of boringness (?). Just because school are too boring nowadays I need to make fun by myself to keep a bit of fun for me.

But if he/she gave me bad grades, I would directly go to the principal, nothing can go wrong then.

Back