#8: Education

Old teachers are the meanest, but the younger ones are the dumbest (Yes, even 30+ teachers). Until the higher uppers grow brains and put money in research on how to increase the value of education, it will be a never ending loop of suckyness.

I think the schools are way overpaid. The teachers, as everyone knows, are not paid much at all, but when you put the fact that they get summers off and how crappy of a job many do, they don't deserve more. The schools are a different matter. TONS of money gets wasted each year on special ed, pricey yet crappy textbooks, extracurricular programs, 'teacher classes', and similar unnecessary stuff.

Teachers are generally people who got poor-to-average grades in school. A teacher in America today doesn't have to be smart, they just need to be able to read a lesson from a textbook. And with such sub-standard textbooks, what can we expect?

I remember when I first asked myself how smart teachers really were: my third-grade homeroom teacher had a large homemade sign on her door that said "Raise you're hand before you speak!" She was entrusted with the task of teaching my classmates and I grammar.

Rhincodon Typus said:
I think the schools are way overpaid. The teachers, as everyone knows, are not paid much at all, but when you put the fact that they get summers off and how crappy of a job many do, they don't deserve more. The schools are a different matter. TONS of money gets wasted each year on special ed, pricey yet crappy textbooks, extracurricular programs, 'teacher classes', and similar unnecessary stuff.

Not much to say about this. It's the truth, can't hide it.

Rhincodon Typus said:
Teachers are generally people who got poor-to-average grades in school. A teacher in America today doesn't have to be smart, they just need to be able to read a lesson from a textbook. And with such sub-standard textbooks, what can we expect?

They NEVER have to be smart in any country for as far as I know, they just have to 'know how to teach' and that's it. (Easy isn't it?) Sadly, bad teachers and bad lesson material quality generally go hand in hand. Unless my post above yours and your previous paragraph are taken seriously by the higher ups, it will not change...ever.

Rhincodon Typus said:
I remember when I first asked myself how smart teachers really were: my third-grade homeroom teacher had a large homemade sign on her door that said "Raise you're hand before you speak!" She was entrusted with the task of teaching my classmates and I grammar.

o_O' *Head explodes* Didn't anyone, and than I really mean ANYONE at your school the amount of fail your teacher was displaying?

afstandopleren said:
Old teachers are the meanest, but the younger ones are the dumbest (Yes, even 30+ teachers). Until the higher uppers grow brains and put money in research on how to increase the value of education, it will be a never ending loop of suckyness.

Government funded research never works :/

All of you need to stop curse-bypassing or I'll hand warnings out. Calm down, it's a discussion about the education system, not a stoning ground. :/

Are all schools that bad? I am in an average school in london but it seems a private school compared to how everyone describes theirs. Surely you are not telling the truth?

-.-' lucky you then, that you haven't experienced the flaws of the system face to face. Yes, the described things actually do happen, just not to or near you so it seems.

d master342 said:
Bam said:
We should get rid of old teachers? Are you kidding me? At least three-quarters of all my best teachers, the most understanding, knowledgeable, and instructive, have been over the age of forty-ish. With age comes experience and responsibility, and experience can help you get along with young students better than being a just-graduated-former-student can.

Whoops. I forgot to comment on this. Yeah, I completely disagree with that. If you don't believe me, you don't have any compassion for the teachers. I mean, what? You want them to stay at the school forever and never retire? They already don't make enough money. Get all of the old teachers out and replace them with younger, (not 20s but more like 30s) fresher ideas. And the old teachers are the meanest. I have experienced that firsthand last year with the first teacher I have ever had. I'm sorry, but your argument only works for you. :F And rarely for every single other person.

dmaster out.

You make no sense at all. You say my argument (and it's more of an opinion) only works for me and rarely for everybody else (when did I even mention that I wanted or needed it to work for everybody else?), when your "argument" holds even less water and doesn't even have any basis other than your own personal experience (and what, how old are you? 13? That's like only 6 years of schooling altogether). At least I said that older teachers have a lifetime of experience.

Of course you're going to get some bad-egg old hag who just hates children but for some reason ended up teaching every once in a while, but I'd much rather have a teacher who knows what they're doing rather than a 20-something fresh-out-of-school newb who doesn't have a clue.

I'm sorry, but your post is person.

Bam said:
d master342 said:
Bam said:
We should get rid of old teachers? Are you kidding me? At least three-quarters of all my best teachers, the most understanding, knowledgeable, and instructive, have been over the age of forty-ish. With age comes experience and responsibility, and experience can help you get along with young students better than being a just-graduated-former-student can.

Whoops. I forgot to comment on this. Yeah, I completely disagree with that. If you don't believe me, you don't have any compassion for the teachers. I mean, what? You want them to stay at the school forever and never retire? They already don't make enough money. Get all of the old teachers out and replace them with younger, (not 20s but more like 30s) fresher ideas. And the old teachers are the meanest. I have experienced that firsthand last year with the first teacher I have ever had. I'm sorry, but your argument only works for you. :F And rarely for every single other person.

dmaster out.

You make no sense at all. You say my argument (and it's more of an opinion) only works for me and rarely for everybody else (when did I even mention that I wanted or needed it to work for everybody else?), when your "argument" holds even less water and doesn't even have any basis other than your own personal experience (and what, how old are you? 13? That's like only 6 years of schooling altogether). At least I said that older teachers have a lifetime of experience.

Of course you're going to get some bad-egg old hag who just hates children but for some reason ended up teaching every once in a while, but I'd much rather have a teacher who knows what they're doing rather than a 20-something fresh-out-of-school newb who doesn't have a clue.

I'm sorry, but your post is person.

16 dude. Much older than a little kid. >__> And I didn't say 20 year olds if you read my argument. I said 30-40 tops.

dmaster out.

It's weird cause in my school district, there's been nothing said against it but awesome things. But I guess that's just because nobody remembers Wisconsin XD.

Excluding gym and band, the only other subject I liked in high school was Spanish. I basically walked into the class knowing no Spanish and I ended up being one of the best in the year. The class was taught really well and incorporated fun into learning. When fun is incorporated, students are more likely to enjoy the subject which will cause them to probaly do better. I remember in my high school there was at least afterschool clubs. My favorite one was the anime club where we would watch movies and you could play TCG games without being teased by anyone else.

The college I went to most of my classes were better than high school courses and should be since I had to pay for them. There was an entrance exam that I had to take since I hadn't taken the ACT or SAT tests. Teachers at my college would teach using different methods which included a lot of hands on since I was in the veterinary technician program. The school let me be a math tutor since they needed people. I basically was to wrok one on one with 3 students per quarter and help guide them. I had a lot of success at that. When students start to do poorly in a class, usually the teacher and/or Dean of students comes to talk to you. I ended up getting students close to halfway through the quarter that were in danger of failing the course. Some I would get right away because they had failed the coarse before. I helped one person get their grade all the way up to an A by the end of the quarter. I also ended up working with a student that had a disability and was never exposed to division. It was really difficult to teach division to one who had never been exposed to it. I worked really hard with their instructor and the student, but unfortunately they were not able to pass. The one thing I really liked about the student though is that he never gave up.

My tutoring style was first go over the previous days homework/classwork. If they had taken a quiz or test, we would go over the test and correct the wrong answers. Then, we would start on the homework due the next class period. I basically show how to do one of the problems step by step first. Then I have them do the next one with some help. At this point, I have them do one without any help to see if they get the concept. Then we would move to the next section and repeat the process all over again. If there was extra time, we would do more of the problems depending on how long both of us could stay. I made $8.50/hr., but I would have done it for free because I like to help others.

Back