Ruling 7 Prize Trap?

BlueMeanie

Aspiring Trainer
Hi guys, just starting to actually get into the game, and I know most of the rulings and interactions, but this one I can't seem to find anything about. I heard something about a "7-prize trap" as something to be taken advantage of by a Darkrai EX deck. Does that mean you can't knock out an opposing EX pokemon if you only have 1 prize left?

This isn't a rulings question, but I'll answer it anyway.

The "7th prize" is a Pokemon generally run commonly in a deck, which is NOT a Pokemon-EX, that you generally force your opponent to knock out in the late game.
Generally, you can win a game by knocking out 3 Pokemon EX - that equates to 6 prizes. However, if you've taken 4 against 2 Pokemon EX, and your opponent promotes...say, Sableye (or Bouffalant or Zekrom or whatever), and you can't get the Catcher, you're forced to knock it out before you can go for the EX. Then once that's gone, only Pokemon EX will remain on the field (usually).

This, effectively, forces you to knock out Pokemon equivalent to 7 prizes (2 Pokemon EX, 1 normal Pokemon, and then another Pokemon EX).

Back