(4) Red Collection Cards, Promos, HGSS-on Format, Super Pokemon Scramble [6/10]

Oh wow, the Victini is awesome. I can't exactly put my finger on what I would want to pair it with right now, but it will definitely make the Metagame a more friendly place for cards that are good except for a coin flip. I think the Hydreigon could have some potential too, either with Emboar, Pachirishu and Shaymin UL engine, or just plan DCE. It seems that Red collection is shaping up to be quite a good set, can't wait for it to be released. It is going to do some Metagame altering... I CAN FEEL IT.

Two Energy on Litwick? Better do some damage...

Victini could be interesting.

Hydreigon could be frightening if there ever is a Pokemon that could do some damage times or plus the amount of Darkness Energy in play. Its own attack is pretty powerful as well. Two Double Colorless would turn into Double Darkness. If it wasn't for Lost Remover...

I absolutley LOVE Hyderion's artwork on the card. It could be an okay card, but I'm not an expert on this kind of stuff anyways.

Lol I am SO running Victini with Sharpedo. xD Hydreigon will be good, but people will have to know how to use it.

by darkness energy is that the plus 10 damage one?

so for 2 double colorless 100 damage AND 40 to 2 bench? with 150 HP. thats Ridiculously strong.

if it isnt the 10 damage on ehte means the special dark energies would work on him as they just be normal dark energy

I like the Victini artwork, I assume it's suppose to be played with the psychic Victini. If you have a {P} Victini active and three {R} on the bench, you can flip 4 times in total, 1 for the attack and 3 more for the abilities. That would raise the 25% chance x 4 =100%...sounds like a fun deck.

Maybe Hydreigon could be used with Tyranitar Prime?

^you can only use the ability once a turn (even if there's more than 1 victini in play)...

@daviduk2000: The +10 damage depends solely on whether you attach basic dark energies or special dark energies. the ability has nothing to do with that, it doesn't add the 10 damage boost to the other types of energy...

daviduk2000 said:
if it isnt the 10 damage on ehte means the special dark energies would work on him as they just be normal dark energy
What? Can't even comprehend what you're saying here.

Anyway, I'm sure that the Ability only changes the type of Energy, not the wording. The translation doesn't specify Basic or Special.

FJM I'd think that Hydreigon would be used INSTEAD of Tyranitar. They're similar but don't really go together IMO.

Metalizard said:
^you can only use the ability once a turn (even if there's more than 1 victini in play)...

ohhhh didn't see that. I thought it said as one time for each Victini. Yeah that deck's terrible then.

Meaty said:
FJM I'd think that Hydreigon would be used INSTEAD of Tyranitar. They're similar but don't really go together IMO.

I thought the 20 to all spread from T-tar would be good after using Hydreigon's attack, if you use Hydreigon's twice you could get 40 on 4 benched Pokémon with 60 HP each, then use a T-tar's Darkness Howl to take them all out. Especially with Rare Candy not being instant, low HP basics are more vulnerable. I don't think Hydreigon's usable though, it's got weakness to Donphan and with Donphan's PokéBody Hydreigon can only hit the active for 40 a turn, meaning that Hydreigon would have to attack 3 times to do the damage Donphan does to it in one turn. Maybe Hydreigon w/Samurrot to counter Donphan and also use DCE? That might work.

Hydreigon - Powerful, but balanced.

150 HP is quite rare for a stage 2 pokemon, only a few are blessed with that kind of HP. 60 to the active and 40 to 2 benched pokemon is a frightening thought over the course of 2 turns if you can't shut it down fast enough. I'd expect Hydreigon to be played as a slow deck that hits hard mid-game. A T2 Hydreigon is possible but you'd have to be quite lucky or include alot of Energy Exchanger just to get out the 2 DCE, but then you'd risk running low on steam come late game. Still cursed with the {F} weakness like T-tar prime.

Haxorus seems ok. I can see a nice thing with Dodrio UD to change between 2 Haxorus and Giga Impact turn after turn, but theorymon is still theorymon, though it being colourless allows it to use the Pachi-shaymin energy accel engine, or Ninetales draw engine.

But with Unown Dark it can be very fast and Shaymin, T2 you have a Hydreigon that hit a lot with 1 DCE + 2 Dark Special = 80 to the active and on the bench.

jb2909 said:
But with Unown Dark it can be very fast and Shaymin, T2 you have a Hydreigon that hit a lot with 1 DCE + 2 Dark Special = 80 to the active and on the bench.
You do know that Unown puts the Darkness Energy in your hand, right?

Hmm, Red Collection is looking like a very interesting set so far. Here are my thoughts on some of the Pokemon.

Victini: Now the ability is quite impressive. Victory Star seems to have the potential to make Pokemon that rely on coin flips playable, thus reducing the luck factor down a bit. It has a solid attack for moving energy as well, although chances it won't be used often, as the ability is why people will use it. I also like the artwork for Victini. Looks pretty cool if you ask me.

Hydreigon: Out of all the six cards revealed, this one seems to be the most playable. In fact, already by looking at it, it is the new age Charizard. How? Well, the ability is exactly like Charizard's body, only it can turn any energy to {D} energy instead of {R} energy. Like Charizard, it also has a 4 energy attack in which all the energies required are the energies that match the type (in this case, dark for Hydreigon). The attack, however, is far different from Charizard's. It can hit for 60 on the active, and 40 to two of the opponent's bench Pokemon. Now that sounds like one menacing attacker! In fact, there are many different ways to fuel up easily Hydreigon right now, including Emboar, Pachirisu+Shaymin UL, and even DCE. I am leaning more to Emboar right now, as I can imagine running Hydreigon in a way like Magneboar, only I don't have to deal with getting rid of energies every turn, which is Hydreigon's main advantage compared to cards like Reshiram or Magnezone. Also, his attack can potentially KO three Pokemon in two turns, if the active you attack has 120 HP or lower and 2 of the bench Pokemon you attack have 80 or lower HP. Fighting weakness is the sad downside though, as it means that he is weak to Donphan and Machamp. I also like this card's artwork. I think it is among the new coolest Pokemon artworks to date. Indeed, Hydreigon is surely one very interesting card, and at the rate this is going, I can see it becoming a relatively competitive card.

Haxorus: This card seems a bit decent to me. The one really good thing about it though is that it can use DCE really well, thus making it a relatively fast attacker. The first attack can make it potentially hit for 0, 50, or 100. The second attack, Giga Impact, can hit for 120, but then you can't use the attack the next turn. That's why I don't see it as being an overly competitive card, although running Dodrio UD with it sounds like a fun idea in that you could potentially attack with Giga Impact every turn. Colorless weakness is a big downside, primarily against Cincinno, which is considered to be a much faster and more efficient attacker than Haxorus in my opinion. In all, for a colorless Pokemon, I'd rather stick with Cincinno for now.

EDIT: Oh wait, Giga Impact reads that it can't use any attacks on the next turn. My bad on that. Well, that further makes me believe that Haxorus is just decent and not overly good.

JPN Gallade said:
Haxorus: This card seems a bit decent to me. The one really good thing about it though is that it can use DCE really well, thus making it a relatively fast attacker. The first attack can make it potentially hit for 0, 50, or 100. The second attack, Giga Impact, can hit for 120, but then you can't use the attack the next turn. That's why I don't see it as being an overly competitive card, although running Dodrio UD with it sounds like a fun idea in that you could potentially attack with Giga Impact every turn. Colorless weakness is a big downside, primarily against Cincinno, which is considered to be a much faster and more efficient attacker than Haxorus in my opinion. In all, for a colorless Pokemon, I'd rather stick with Cincinno for now.

Haxorus has no weakness.. :)

I guess I'll try it with dodrio and Ninetales combo.. :)

I like the idea of Haxorus with Ninetales, maybe tech in one of these new Victini too, to help out with the first attack. Toss in some kind of Dodrio line and you actually have a consistent deck with some swing behind it too. But then again, it does seem fairly crowded. I am psyched to see that Haxorus doesn't have a weakness to Colorless. That actually makes it a decent force to center a deck around because you no longer have an autoloss to a weakness.

Also you can use Hydreigon alongside a fire-based engine as well. Emboar, Typhlosion, and Ninetales can all be used (although not all in the same deck) to work with this card. It does seem to lack any synergy though, just a way to build up a Hydreigon or two. However I'm still not exactly sure what I'd like to see from Hydreigon. 150 HP, coupled with a bunch of healing cards could make for a decent stall approach to the deck, although the weakness to Donphan does seem rather crippling. The idea of using Samurott with Hydreigon could work out, and you still have no specified types of energy that need to be used either. That leaves open space for a Pachi-Shaymin engine, or just a complete set of Special Energy, using 4 DCE, 4 Rescue, and 4 Special Dark to actually boost Hydreigon's strength.

The one thing that I do like about all of these cards is the techability of the cards. HGSS-BW is probably one of the most pathetic formats for teching cards. You have your Smeargle, Boufallant, Cinccino, Zoroark, and then a rare Donphan, each of which do very little for the actual deck itself, and serve more as a revenge killer or a place to toss a useless DCE later in the game. These three big cards (Victini, Hydreigon, and Haxorus) each add a little bit more to a deck than the cards mentioned above. Victini allows for a bench sitter that can actually have some impact your attacking, not just waiting around for a chance when it can grab a cheap KO. Hydreigon, which makes for a huge wall, as well as a threat later in the game, should a player decide to attach some energy to it. And Haxorus, which gives a high HP, no weakness, revenge killer, one that actually can stick around awhile...

I think Hydreigon is the only Pokémon so far that I've liked on the "whoosh!" backgrounds they've been using for most of the rare cards. Haxorus just seems out of place, like it should have a drawn background instead of just floating in space like that.

Also, WPM: in the article with the Axew card, it's listed in the spoiler section as its Japanese name, Kibago. I understand where the mistake came from - I can't seem to shake calling it that, either. (I have the same problem with Samurott / Daikenki and Tepig / Pokabu sometimes.) xD

Xous said:
I think Hydreigon is the only Pokémon so far that I've liked on the "whoosh!" backgrounds they've been using for most of the rare cards. Haxorus just seems out of place, like it should have a drawn background instead of just floating in space like that.

tru that.

Hydreigon is epic. 2x DCE = 60 + double 40... Possibly 3 KOs? o_o can't wait for this guy.

Back