News 20th Anniversary Set in September + Surfing Pikachu and M Slowbro-EX!

Does the use of the original Japanese layout instead of the original English layout strike anyone else as incredibly lazy? What a missed opportunity. :(

Hi guys. Because X&Y era seems to be ending, I'm now asking myself, if there's any possiblity to obtain one from below mentioned cards, that were english unreleased yet:

Shiny Mega Gengar EX (almost 2 years old japanese card…)
Litleo, Zubat, Vulpix, Rhydon, Tynamo, Dragonair, Burmy (reprints)
Lanturn, Greninja, Weezing,Victini
Mandibuzz BREAK, Arcanine BREAK, Crobat BREAK
Magearna, Charizard, Snorlax

(at least there's a bit chance of to get last two mentioned…)
It looks like to obtain the BREAKs, there should be one more BREAK box; the reprints are probably lost in tide, which seems for Lanturn, too (unfortunately), but I also like the Weezing, so it should be sad, if we never ontain it. Not speaking 'bout Gym badges (with Hoenn trainers).
I'm also a bit disappointed, that we never got psychic Delhpox nor fighting Chesnaught, although there was a dark Greninja…
*sigh*

Anyway, my account will be destroyed by this set with so many predictable “high class” expensive cards…
Well, TPCi could have released a few of those unreleased cards as Promos, but decided that reprinting Charizard EX, Kangaskhan EX, Dragonite EX, Gengar EX, and an alternate art of the bad Mewtwo EX was a better idea. ...Though, to be fair, Ninja Boy + Dragonite sounds fun.

In all seriousness, though, the shiny Mega Gengar EX is finally coming out in some sort of collection this year; I can't recall what it is or when it will be out, though. And to be fair again, I guess a Gengar EX reprint was needed since this Mega Gengar EX would be released in a format that doesn't have a Gengar EX in standard. I just don't care for those 5 boxes. Overall, they seem like a really bad excuse to release even more $20 boxes, and I'm personally fed up, as a collector, with the amount of Promos in $20+ products, especially when I typically don't pull anything good from them. Why aren't Black Star Promos given out at leagues?

Rant aside, I'm curious about a few of those as well. Arcanine BREAK would have worked well as an addition to this set, but nope, it's not included. (This English Mewtwo EX's set number is 52, and the Japanese Mewtwo EX's set number is 50. That means the only addition cards between Ninetales BREAK and Mewtwo EX are Slowbro EX and M Slowbro EX.) And Crobat BREAK's time has passed since there's no Crobat in standard. But who knows, maybe they'll all be in some weird BREAK collection. Hopefully, we'll at least see the Snorlax and Charizard (not that we need another Charizard Promo).

Perfect. The one chain that gets early access to this set charges far more then the others is shortly followed by the one that charges suggested retail.

If you are going to buy the set early and you have a GameStop just buy from there. To be fair to Toys R Us they don't have the most ludicrous for the card game that reward goes to Kohls.
I actually don't mind paying another 80 cents if that means I get to keep the selection TRU stores have. All of my local ones still stock in older BW sets whereas some Wal-Marts only stock in the latest three sets.

Anyway, I'm confused at all the different text fonts going on in these new cards...

The funniest thing about Charizard is that it took over 17 years for it to lose 0.5Ibs but by losing 0.5Ibs, it has 30HP more and it deals double the amount of damage it used to do.

I really like the fact that they are doing something unique with the recent Elite Trainer Boxes :)

Generations had a special promo and their special basic energy

and now Evolutions with retro energy.

Unfortunately, this also makes other Elite Trainer Boxes less desirable in my opinion...

I actually don't mind paying another 80 cents if that means I get to keep the selection TRU stores have. All of my local ones still stock in older BW sets whereas some Wal-Marts only stock in the latest three sets.

Anyway, I'm confused at all the different text fonts going on in these new cards...
Yeah they're not choosing to keep older product in stock they can't sell it because most people are not going to overpay for older product at retail. Yeah they price match but if no one else carries the older ones good luck.

Chances are they'll still have this set in 2020.

Yeah they're not choosing to keep older product in stock they can't sell it because most people are not going to overpay for older product at retail. Yeah they price match but if no one else carries the older ones good luck.

Chances are they'll still have this set in 2020.

Aye @Lostlorn Forest it is likely that this is simply because their older product isn't moving fast enough to have run out. I've seen many stores with older product still on the shelves for the same reason. Then again odds are another company is only renting shelf space in these stores. When I worked at Target, that was how it worked with TCGs (and some other products).

MY EVALUATIONS
  • Charizard - OHKO machine if it has 3 Burning Energies attached to it, if you're lucky. Magnezone, Palkia, Yveltal, Steaming Volc, so many team-up cards for this bad boy.
  • Mewtwo-EX - "It's not good enough to play the other one." - google
  • Ninetales-EX - I hate that effect that you must discard ALL energy in order for the damage boost. All I want is just like Genesect-EX's Rapid Blaster effect.
  • Whole card - I love it, even though so many haters hates it. It gleams to my eyes.

Wow to Volcanion Ex + Starmie combo.

That non ex Mewtwo will be a nice Mega Mewtwo counter that fits in any deck btw.

Last edited:
Chizard will need exactly two energy cards, 2 Double Dragons. He could charge on round two, depending if you go first. That sort of makes him playable. One DDE down on first turn, and then rare candy into Chizard and slap another DDE down on second turn. It's not a ton of cards to get in play on second turn. With enough draw support that is a really doable turn.

Of course if you get hexed the energy goes by by. Or if you use the attack the energy goes by by. But ha, a 200 dmg hit on turn two, wow!

Does the use of the original Japanese layout instead of the original English layout strike anyone else as incredibly lazy? What a missed opportunity. :(

I'd imagine the fact Wizards of the Coast was in charge of localization at the time of Base Set complicates things.

I'm fine with the used layout, except for the font size on the abilities. (Man does that look ugly.) Also, lol, I never noticed the fact they rounded Charizard's weight on the Base Set card. I also kinda wish the Level was in the Pokedex box like it was originally, but not a big deal. (And it's neat that they even have Levels, I actually miss that feature.) Another minor thing, but I also kinda wish they had used the original Pokedex entries, even if the new ones are more informative. (Though I wouldn't be at all surprised if there's a reason why they did this, such as the fact WotC originally localized them, which included minor differences to the Pokedex entries from the games they based them on. That being said, I also doubt this is the reason.)

Chizard will need exactly two energy cards, 2 Double Dragons. He could charge on round two, depending if you go first. That sort of makes him playable. One DDE down on first turn, and then rare candy into Chizard and slap another DDE down on second turn. It's not a ton of cards to get in play on second turn. With enough draw support that is a really doable turn.

Of course if you get hexed the energy goes by by. Or if you use the attack the energy goes by by. But ha, a 200 dmg hit on turn two, wow!

Wait why Double Dragon? You're safer just using Double Colorless. Also I'm sure the discard text isn't negated by Charizard's Ability while the energy is only treated as a Fire Energy. I'm also sure that applies for all the other energy as well:

(If this card is attached to anything other then a (Dragon) Pokemon discard this card.)

Yeah the ability doesn't stop what the energy still does which another thing is the Pokemon has to be that energy type for you to even manually attach it to said Pokemon.

does anyone know how they are going to replace the japanase full art spots of the starters (cause these were in our RB collections)? or are we not going to get any FA for the non-mega-ex starters?

Back