Active 2021 Inter-Forum Mafia Championships

Ephemera

just a little longer...
proxy.php

Hey, hey! We've been invited to Season 8 of the Inter-Forum Mafia Championships! The biggest inter-forum event on the internet, Champs has had over 320 different communities participate, with over 770 total representatives. I represented us last year, and I'll probably gush about it later, but this is the OP, so I'll get on with it.

Champs is hosted on Mafia Universe, and you will need to register an account there should you be chosen to represent. The qualifying rounds will be held from mid-May to early July, so as long as you're free at some point in that period, that's fine. Should our representative qualify for the semifinals, those will be held in July and August, with the finale in August or September.

This year's setup is an open, low-to-medium power 15er called Gold Rush. For more details on the setup, and on the tournament in general, here's a link to the general information thread on MU.

MU also has a section on what to expect, which I'll quote here because it's pretty relevant:
Specifically, the seasons have taught us that you should be prepared for:
  • A very high level of activity. On average, there will be 500-600 posts per 24 hours during the early stages of the game in qualifier games, and likely more in semifinal/finale games. This is a melting pot of dedicated and enthusiastic players all gathered in one game.
  • You will likely face very different posting styles: Some will post walls of texts with many quotes, some will post a ton of one-liners, and some people will be very keen to interact in real-time in the thread (using the thread as a chat rather than a thread you pop into a few times a day).
  • A flurry of activity towards the end of the day. This means that if you check out 5 hours before the day ends, you should not be surprised to return the next day to see that the wagons were changed multiple times. If you want your vote to count, be careful to not agree to a game where you can never be around for EOD.
  • A few players in your game will probably have played with each other before. This has become impossible to prevent as increasingly many players have played on Mafia Universe.
  • We do not condone abusive remarks and we have banned several communities from participating based on this before, but each season features dozens of new communities, so there is always a slight risk that you might encounter abusive players. If you do, please report them and we'll take care of it.

Fair warning: these games are much higher volume than anything we've ever played here. My qualifier last year reached 3000 posts (and it was probably the slowest qualifier), while my semifinal reached 2700 posts on the first in-game day alone. If you don't think you can keep up with 1000-2000 posts per in-game day, you probably won't enjoy the champs experience.

The deadline for selecting a representative is May 7, although the sooner we send our choice, the better. If you wish to nominate someone (including yourself), please name them in this thread by April 30, after which voting on our representative (and backup) will begin should there not already be a clear decision.

Last edited:

Ephemera

just a little longer...
Okay now that I've made the obligatory formal intro post I can gush about champs wheeeeeeeee

It's fun as heck - you meet a lot of new people, there's a lot of talk in spec chat, and of course there's the actual mafia.
I recommend reading a couple previous champs games (or more, if you want) to get a feel for how it goes down though - it's really hectic, and it can be a bit much for people who aren't used to it.

My time last year was a heck of a ride - my qualifier was my third ever game. I posted 60 times and was still one of the lower posters in the game. Ate a N1 kill, somehow got picked for a semis sub despite getting swept by the wolves, and subbed into possibly the worst wolfgame I've ever seen T_T
It takes a lot out of you, but it's also a huge adrenaline rush.

I might have even understated my warning about content, though. People post more than 100 times a day phase there (and even more if you get certain people in your qualifier), which can get really tough to read at times. Please consider carefully before you volunteer for this.
Still though, you just have to put some time and thought into the game, and you'll probably have a lot of fun (if you can really consider mafia fun? lol).

And with that, I'd like to nominate @bbninjas if he wants the slot this year, but I am also absolutely down to throw my hat in the ring again! :D

(i refuse to have 2 sweeps be my one and only champs legacy, that was painful as heck lol)

Ephemera

just a little longer...
Thanks for the nom! I am too busy to do it this year unfortunately, so I'll happily let you represent @Ephemera. :)
aw
you're a better player than me lol

if anyone else wants to rep us though, i'd be glad to be your backup! last year's champs was my third game, so don't feel like you have to be a great player or a veteran to try to be the rep!
do look at MU to see if that's your thing, but if it is, go for it!

Ephemera

just a little longer...
@Jabberwock - i don't know if you're necessarily down for this type of thing, but you did beat bb and me soundly last game :D
Would you be interested in representing PB?

i feel a bit awkward - i don't mind repping us again but also there are mafia players here who i'm sure are better than me so uh idk
i can put myself down as our rep tentatively if this thread doesn't get any more interest T_T
we do still play mafia here, right?

Jabberwock

#Jovimohnaeliackvid
Forum Mod
Articles Staff
@Jabberwock - i don't know if you're necessarily down for this type of thing, but you did beat bb and me soundly last game :D
Would you be interested in representing PB?
I appreciate the offer but I wouldn't be able to participate at anywhere near the level of activity MU requires xD

You should go for it Eph! You're a great mafia player and fully deserve to rep the Beach again. Best of luck if you do! :D

(And I certainly hope we still play mafia here — I'd love to join another game soon. :) )

Ephemera

just a little longer...
I appreciate the offer but I wouldn't be able to participate at anywhere near the level of activity MU requires xD

You should go for it Eph! You're a great mafia player and fully deserve to rep the Beach again. Best of luck if you do! :D

(And I certainly hope we still play mafia here — I'd love to join another game soon. :) )
understandable, MU is super high activity lol

also - i'm hoping to run a game in a couple of weeks, when finals are over and college stops kicking me to the curb :p

Ephemera

just a little longer...
Since no one else has expressed interest (yet), I'll put myself down as our representative in the MU thread, if that's fine with everyone?
If anyone else expresses interest before May 7, we can work that out before then.

Arapocalypse

Aspiring Trainer
Hi there!!

Ephemera's mafia championship game has just randed, and will be starting tomorrow!

GAME 10: JUNE 28, 48/24, 10PM EDT
Aersoldorf (NationStates: 10,000 Islands)
Babe (GreyWolf community)
Chris (Dragonmount)
D2DC (Pure Diablo)
Ephemera (PokeBeach)
Esooa (CivFanatics MU Subforum)
FoxxiMcLeod (MMO-Champion)
JKBear331 (Chief Delphi)
kylemii (The Syndicate)
MendesHotter (Mafia Mystery)
SilverKeith (MafiaLandia)
thewingfan (Hattrick.org (England))
tonystarkprime (HeroClix Realms(
Trustworthy Liberal (Ultimate Dangan Werewolf)
TurboPuns (GameFAQs)

You can follow it here: https://www.mafiauniverse.com/forum...Game-10-Who-Goes-Mafia-The-Mafia-Championship

Do you wish to spectate and/or talk with players from other communities?
We have a big server on Discord (1,500+ members) for those that want to spectate and talk about these games. The representatives will be added to this channel too after they die. Or if you just want to chat with people from other communities, we have a general chat too that is unrelated to the Mafia Championship.

1) CLICK HERE TO JOIN: https://discord.gg/3BtbmnR

2) Upon joining the server, please inform us of who you are and which community you are from. We will then give you the necessary permissions to see the spectator channel. This is necessary to avoid the wrong people (the representatives and their backups) joining the channel. You don't need to have Discord installed in order to join the channel, as there is a web version.

Do you want to have your own private community spectator chat?
This is definitely both allowed and encouraged. However, I ask that you please do everything possible to make this chat private and inaccessible to your representative, backup and your representative's opponents. It's important that your thoughts and comments don't influence the game. In other words, please don't post about the game in public threads -- this is very important.

Feel free to contact me at Arapocalypse#0834 if you have any questions!!!