2018 World Cup in Russia and 2022 World Cup in Qatar.

^ Those teams are nothing compared to:

Manchester United, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool, Manchester City etc.

Spain would have been a better option than Russia as atleast they won the World Cup.

There's an article on SI.com by Grant Wahl talking about, among other things, petrodollars influencing the vote.

Regardless of how it came about, we are looking at four straight new locales for the WC (South Africa, Brazil, Russia, Qatar). I doubt Chile will get it soon, especially after: a. South America getting one b. Western Europe and North America crying foul over not having a cup in 20 years.

dragon9 said:
^ Those teams are nothing compared to:

Manchester United, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool, Manchester City etc.

Spain would have been a better option than Russia as atleast they won the World Cup.

No disrespect to those Russia clubs mentioned but they definitely cannot be compared to the English you mentioned there. Not that I'm against Russia or anything but I would prefer England or even Spain/Portugal to host the World Cup instead. Having said that, perhaps we should give Russia a chance and see what they can give and will do from now till 2018.

Woahoah guys. Hang on. Look at what England have got - Olympics 2012, Rugby World Cup 2015, Rugby League World Cup 2013 (2014?), not to mention Wimbledon ever year, among others. Despite it being 'the home' of football, and indeed housing the finest football club ever to grace the npower Championship, Portsmouth FC, you can't say that England hasn't got enough major sporting events on.

As for the picks, Russia is a good choice, with a large population, good stadia among other pros, but Qatar, I'm afraid, is too much about the money.

I found it a complete joke. England is the home of football, to go out with 2 votes shows how corrupt Fifa is. I also don't get Qatar over somewhere like the USA, they're not ready to host an event this big and the heat that they get in the summer is unsuitable for a big sporting event.

Take a look at England's newspapers today guys. It's absolutely hilarious what they're writing. They're all livid. :)

Qatar has money, like I said. Two members of FIFA have left already after this affair! I hope there will be more, but the ridiculous corrupt ones instead.

Wow Chiraami that is just ridiciulous. I think England will get it soon but USA probably didnt get it considering they have hosted before.

Sorry my bad I was talking on msn and meant to say ridiculous to them XD.

But ya that does seem hilarious.

I seriously doubt that these decisions are based on any sort of merit at all. As much as I love to bash England, it cannot be denied that they, or Spain/Portugal deserved to host the 2018 World Cup. It's just ridiculous that England garnered just two votes. Based on stadiums and infrastructure, England and Spain/Portugal were miles ahead of the rest and, with all due respect, it's just inexplicable that Russia got chosen over those two. And when you look at the potential revenue to be made, it's obvious that England are the most likely to earn the highest.

Now Qatar... that's really just a joke. As I mentioned before, look at the stadiums and infrastructure. As of yet, they have nothing. Not only is Qatar the riskiest country to host the World Cup in, now they are going to have to waste billions and billions of dollars to prepare themselves for a World Cup that's going to last, what, one month? It would be a much better and less risky idea to make the host nation one that already does have decent infrastructure, like USA (as much as I love to bash USA as well).

tl;dr: FIFA messed up.

I'm happy with the Qatar decision. I rather have it go to places where it has never been. That way the countries team can qualify right on the spot since they would have never been able to make it in the first place. Now just hoping it can come to Canada...

I agree on your post K-Obsessed. Especially the Canada part. Im glad we did host the U-20 though but Id like to see us host the world cup soon.

It's really not the hard to understand that FIFA is trying to spread out the areas that the cup is being hosted. I know it's been previously mentioned, but you people keep crying about it like it's that big of a deal. Second, England is not the inventor of football so that argument is null, and if you still want to argue that than you'd have to be supporting Spain or South American countries.

Also I feel like I need to mention that England didn't even win the Champions League so they really have no bragging rights.

South Africa, then Brazil, the Russia, and finally Qatar?
All have only a few major areas that it would be safe to host a World Cup match. A lot of those nations are bring threats in themselves (with Qatar being the most friendly). I'm not going to get in terrorism, because I've only seen the first Die Hard movie. All but Qatar have strong anti government militia.

But the worst part is that they all have ridiculous football playing climates. I mean, Qatar is having airconditioned stadiums. Surely FIFA should realise that it would be smarter to make athletes play in a more suitable climate (Fall Europe, US or Winter Australia)?

It isn't that England should have it because they have the best Football club in the country, it's just that it's a safe country which can cope with the demands of a World Cup and has alot of football history. Playing at Stadiums like Wembley, Anfield, Old Trafford etc really makes the World Cup special. For those reasons, I would have been happy for it be held in somewhere like Spain or Italy as well.

^^ Winte Australia is cold. Very cold.

In Europe, Autumn can be a really terrible time as everything gets darker, causing confusion but is a good sort of time. Less frantic than the US/Russia, where you're sending the teams all the way back and forth across the country every week.

Back