2015 - 2016 Format Predictions

leobandit121

Aspiring Trainer
Hey, do you guys have any predictions for the next format. There has been a lot of talk of XY on, but personally I think it would be Plasma Blast or Legendary Treasures on because there are so many amazing cards that would be gone, changing the format crazily.
For example:
Virizion and Genesect EX
Mewtwo EX
Fliptini
Blastoise
Keldeo EX
Safeguard Pokémon
Jirachi EX
Plasma Energy
Ace Specs entirely
Silver Bangle
Eggsecute
Iris
Emboar
Garbodor
Darkrai EX
Reshiram and Zekrom (the normal ones)

It will probably be XY-on. I think pokemon might just want to get ride of some of the cards that have been around for a while.

Good riddance, Garbador, Mewtwo, Virgen, that one Ace Spec Scoop Up card, and most importantly LaserBank!

I'm just really bitter about how many times LaserBank has completely wrecked my deck if only because it was paired with Toads.

...Okay, with that out of my system. I feel like we're about to hit an awkward transition phase where no one's quite sure what to play since Standard's going to be shaken up... quite a lot. XY-on's going to be somewhat awkward to begin with if only because a lot of strategies become moot - I sense a rise in FlF Pyroar's viability, if only because nothing else will be able to block EX Pokemon to begin with - bar Mega evolution.

I also get a feeling that stuff like LandoBats is going to rise in viability more than it is right now - it'll have free reign of damageable targets (barring Aegislash if it has Strong Energy and the previously mentioned Pyroar) and definitely able to snipe the bench much more easily.

I think the one thing I'm really going to miss during the XY-on Format is Fliptini; I haven't gotten a chance to try it with M-Aggron yet, but from what I've read around here it's pretty intimidating.

Anyway, enough of my rambling.

I agree with Pokemon getting rid of all the stuff around for a while. Mewtwo has been around for three seasons!!! BTW DarkMatter, LandoBats will be gone as well, and least the Lando part of it. I'm happy to see LazerBank gone. I think my deck idea with Huntail will be more playable with VirGen gone. Expanded will be on fire, getting back Skyla, Colress, N, and all the other staples that are now gone. I think that ecks like VirGen and Landorus variants have a chance to dominate, as some decks might not be expecting them.

Fliptini is reprinted as Trick Coin so that's not an issue. The problem will be all ACE-Spec cards will be gone. Since a lot of decks uses ACE-Spec to some degree, we'll lose a lot more flexibility.

There are also a lot of other staples gone such as Max Potion, Superior Energy Retrieval and all Plasma EXs. I think it'll be very hard to predict what the next season will bring but it depends on the newer sets such as Emerald Break.

I can see yveltric being a strong choice, and probably groudon, but those are about the only strong cards staying xy on that top a lot of the tournaments but really not many of the strongest ex are staying.

Night March loses flareon leafeon and mew, virgen dies, lando bats losses landorus and yveltal loses garboder And darkrai. If Ptcg gives some more support to evolution then I can see a lot of decks going towards them or ohko format with the new megas. But I guess we'll find out when it happens

I personally think the next rotation will be XY-on, and I'm really hoping for it. Firstly, it kicks out all the cards I don't use in my deck that won't be out of format otherwise. Secondly, I'm really wondering what staples are going to be reprinted. I personally are wanting the Bicycle to stay, and Random Reciever, all the later unlikely due to being reprinted already anyway. ;-;

leobandit121 said:
there are so many amazing cards that would be gone, changing the format crazily.

This isn't a bad thing, and keep in mind that by the time the rotation actually happens, we'll have Roaring Skies to deal with. If you're looking for a certain card to get reprinted or reborn in some way, it'll be there if at all.

The next format better be XY-on because I'm tired of decks that can ruin you for the entire game as soon as they start attacking.

The next format looks nice because of how the metagame is going to be a lot more oriented towards taking time to set up Stage 2's and Megas. There are only a few Basic EX's in XY-on that can actually start applying heavy pressure by the first 2 turns, of which that would be Yveltal-EX, Charizard-EX (if that card ever does see play in XY-on), Lucario-EX, Manectric-EX, and Florges-EX.

leobandit121 said:
I agree with Pokemon getting rid of all the stuff around for a while. Mewtwo has been around for three seasons!!! BTW DarkMatter, LandoBats will be gone as well, and least the Lando part of it. I'm happy to see LazerBank gone. I think my deck idea with Huntail will be more playable with VirGen gone. Expanded will be on fire, getting back Skyla, Colress, N, and all the other staples that are now gone. I think that ecks like VirGen and Landorus variants have a chance to dominate, as some decks might not be expecting them.

Wait why are N skyla and colress not allowed in expanded currently.

Max Potion 2015 Rotation

What will be a good replacement for max potion when the rotation hits? I feel fairy decks in particular will be hit hard

leobandit121 said:
BTW DarkMatter, LandoBats will be gone as well, and least the Lando part of it.

...I was tired while writing that, how did I blank that badly?

Anyway, I do agree with the sentiment that Stage 2 decks are going to rise in popularity; Swampert's going to be a force reckoned with, especially if you pair it up with say... PrC Huntail? (I will find a use for it!)

DarkMatterGaming said:
Swampert's going to be a force reckoned with, especially if you pair it up with say... PrC Huntail? (I will find a use for it!)

Trust me, Huntail is amazing with Ho Oh EX in Expanded. Slam down a bunch of Battle Compressors, and you can start hitting for around 120+ by turn 2-3. Grass Weakness doesn't even matter thanks to Ho Oh EX being a Fire Type.

GadgetJax said:
DarkMatterGaming said:
Swampert's going to be a force reckoned with, especially if you pair it up with say... PrC Huntail? (I will find a use for it!)

Trust me, Huntail is amazing with Ho Oh EX in Expanded. Slam down a bunch of Battle Compressors, and you can start hitting for around 120+ by turn 2-3. Grass Weakness doesn't even matter thanks to Ho Oh EX being a Fire Type.

...Would you mind shooting a skeleton over PM/profile comment? I am super curious to see how this plays.

Now that I think of it, XY-On will be amazing. No there is finally no more power creep. A lot of decks will be hit hard, but I am so excited to see all the new decks. I think now there can actually be a variety of decks that work well besides the standard expecting: VirGen, Yveltal, Seismitoad, and other decks that will always make the top cut. Also, NO MORE DONPHAN!!! I think it's kind of sad that a deck created this season will rotate out relatively quickly.

DarkMatterGaming said:
GadgetJax said:

...Would you mind shooting a skeleton over PM/profile comment? I am super curious to see how this plays.

In the deck garage there currently is the deck list that won the "Arena Cup" in Austria! Pretty impressive how fast that one is!!

i think he called it Rainbow storm or something.. Drohn posted the list ^^

I think that without virgen in play, primal kyogre and groudon will have a place in competitions since they are weak to grass type, I think the major loss for everyone will be skyla and all ace spec, every deck run those cards, speacilly skyla, so I hope they reprint that somehow like they did with professor Juniper in professor sycamore xD.

Im happy and sad about the rotation. Seismitoad will lose its crushing hammers, laser/bank and other various tools. Thats a plus. But, decks lose jirachi, ACE SPECS, keldeo w/ float stone, N, Colress, bianca (a little less played currently). those cards really help decks. Then to top it off, flareon, leafeon, virgen, mewtwo, darkrai, Mr.Mime, cobalion ex, black kyurem, donphan and its safeguarders, plasma decks, landorus, driftblim, kyurem zekrom and reshiram, empoleon and lots of other EXes and good cards will rotate.

Now those cards being rotated will really slow down the format, and it will be awkard when deciding what to use.
Night march will lose its mew-EX, fairies will lose its max potion, etc. though i honestly say that pyroar, yveltal, and mega/primal decks will still be played or played more. Fairies can always use super potion i guess.

I think Crushing Hammers were reprinted in the XY Kalos Starter Sets, so those should be good to stay.

I feel like we've generally gotten a replacement for a lot of the ACE-Specs, just with modified conditions. Teammates is a more situational Computer Search on steroids that costs your Supporter for the turn. VS Seeker has returned and taken the place of Dowsing Machine, though a bit more limited. AZ will have to take the place of Max Potion/Scoop Up Cyclone. And there are two more sets to come before rotation even hits, so it's hard to say what else will be introduced to soften the blow of losing long relied upon cards.

And in all honesty, good riddance to some of these cards haha. I've only been playing for a relatively short time (Flashfire/Furious Fists) and I'm already excited for a world without LaserBank and maybe even N (though N is great, but will be interesting without it. Will people actually play Red Card?).

Back