2014 World Champions Crowned, No Announcement for Next Year's Location [8/17]

Hunga said:
I kinda think Worlds should move away from the U.S.

It's always someone from North America who wins, not because of his superior gameplay but since the meta is nearly always the same as the american.
So european players and all non-americans need to focus on this fact, gather data on the meta and so on, while the american players have it a lot easier.
You don't need to switch from one meta to another, this is really hard for players if you just played a whole season!
In their home countries nationalships maybe they won, but at worlds many just do horrible, because they are pros at their countries meta, but got no research data or ppl to help them train for the american meta...

As fair as it would be to move worlds... I'd like to remind you we got a Japanese Champion out of the video game Junior division and a Korean Champion out of Masters. :p

PMJ said:
That's irrelevant. It doesn't matter how many countries each continent consists of; the overwhelming majority of players live in America, so it makes more sense to hold it there. There's no reason to cater to the minority in this case.
Like in 2010 and 2012, when it was held in Hawaii, which is of course within walking distance of every American.

This is somewhat of an exigology. People already play the TCG en masse in the US, so there's no real need to stimulate the local scene. Having a Worlds in Paris or Berlin might reinvigorate the local Europe scenes without affecting the US scene in any measurable way. And I'm pretty sure holding Worlds someplace like Tokyo would mean more active players can easily reach Worlds than if it were held anywhere in the US. The amount of Pokémon players per square kilometre in Japan is probably far higher than in any US state.

That being said, one of the previous times when the announcement was delayed everyone was predicting something like Europe as well. It ended up being in Hawaii, which is of course nice for everyone who won a free ticket, but that's about it. At least in Europe Worlds could be graced by the presence of that most heavenly of spoons.

Two points I feel need to be made:

1) Last year, it wasn't held in America. It was held in Canada. Not much different, albeit, but it still made its point. The majority of players last year were still American, even though they needed to do extra work to get into Canada to compete.

2) This year's Top Cut for Masters TCG didn't include any Americans. That's right: NONE. That makes a very good point, in that it really doesn't matter where Worlds is held, so long as the best players actually show up to compete.

Skulblaka_Shur said:
1) Last year, it wasn't held in America. It was held in Canada. Not much different, albeit, but it still made its point. The majority of players last year were still American, even though they needed to do extra work to get into Canada to compete.
Canada is still extremely close to the US. In fact it may have been closer for some US people than Washington was.

Skulblaka_Shur said:
2) This year's Top Cut for Masters TCG didn't include any Americans. That's right: NONE. That makes a very good point, in that it really doesn't matter where Worlds is held, so long as the best players actually show up to compete.
In past years Americans have had the best showings in Top Cut. In Seniors everyone in top cut were American. Things happen. Pokemon does involve some luck.

Water Pokémon Master said:
Found out that plans for Worlds 2015's location fell through due to some sort of conflict. It's not that the location is being withheld because it's super special or whatever. We'll probably find out the location once TPCi solidifies its plans.

I'm gonna throw my prediction into the pot, next years Pokemon World Tournament will be held in Hawaii again. The reason for the delay was probably because of the hurricanes that the big island (the location that TCPi uses) was recently hit with. Waikoloa doesn't seem to be hit too hard but they've still experienced flash floods, the delay could be to make sure everything will be up and running again by the time the next tournament will start.

No offense, but I don't honestly see what everyone is complaining about.

Consider this-EU gets some of the titles before the US, and even gets BETTER exclusives for the video game reserves. So I feel very little remorse, except for in the countries that have a smaller player base because POP doesn't give them the support they need.

Hawaii is not "within walking distance" as much as I know it's just a way of saying "You guys are super close etc etc" That is a very touristy area and even with it "being in our backyard" it's STILL expensive. So again, I fail to see how that's a legitimate complaint. Granted, EU and worlds players have to pay exorbitant amounts for plane tickets, but at that point, that's all on the airlines for wanting such crazy amounts. Aside from Japan, the US has been bloating TPCI's wallet, and from a business standpoint, I don't see a reason to upset a good chunk of my customer base because some wants the tournaments in their own backyard for some unannounced cycles of time. Once in a while? Sure, don't bother me expanding the horizon so to speak. Japan doesn't want a "staycation" so it may not be in Japan in the foreseeable future, unless something weird happens.

Also, it doesn't kill other countries to go on "US" based TCG website to get information on our meta. There's MORE than enough information out there, or even Facebook groups that give you a good idea what we play out here. If anything you need to worry about Japan bringing the weird stuff and playing very aggressively and the US players who play rouges (Cawthon, Dylan Bryan) consistent or high profile players (Jason K, Michael P, Mark Oliver, Henry Prior, etc.) and then just the random up and comings who may have had a great showing and are back for more along with those that qualified for Worlds with such a steep CP requirement (James Good, Israel Sosa, Joe S. etc). We have one of the higher thresholds of CP requirements (I want to say possibly the highest this year iirc) at a whooping 500 points for the TCG. Any regular Master trying to hit that requirement was shelling out about 5-20 almost 3- bucks PER TOURNAMENT, depending on its size. the VGC is its own beast because there were no entry fees so the only thing you were worrying about was coming to the actual location.

Hawaii is way out in the Pacific, and is expensive to go to for most states in the US.

I was looking at the Junior Decks, and Hitoshi Omura probably had the weirdest deck in the finals. It is Virgen, TDK, and Aromatisse all smashed together with Cobalion EX and Giratina EX.

Mr.Muffin said:
Hawaii is way out in the Pacific, and is expensive to go to for most states in the US.

I was looking at the Junior Decks, and Hitoshi Omura probably had the weirdest deck in the finals. It is Virgen, TDK, and Aromatisse all smashed together with Cobalion EX and Giratina EX.

Juniors typically don't mean much, the meta is wayyy different than Seniors and Masters. Also Japan.

Scorched Feathers said:
Mr.Muffin said:

Juniors typically don't mean much, the meta is wayyy different than Seniors and Masters. Also Japan.

It is still a weird deck. You can tell his parents didn't help him make his deck which I really like.

Skulblaka_Shur said:
Two points I feel need to be made:

Canada is in North America. >____>

Skulblaka_Shur said:
And...? Unfortunately that doesn't teleport me or any other non-US player to worlds.
Your level of ignorance is INCREDIBLE.

PMJ said:
That's irrelevant. It doesn't matter how many countries each continent consists of; the overwhelming majority of players live in America, so it makes more sense to hold it there. There's no reason to cater to the minority in this case.
1) Marketing-wise it doesn't make sense to permanently exclude the rest of the world.
2) Please tell me your source for this "fact". The Pokémon Center in Paris was ridiculously popular. If Worlds were in Europe, it would activate so many European fans, you don't even know.
3) I'm sure there are more Japanese players than American players.
4) Americans can do a year once in a while without worlds in America.

Are there seriously people arguing against the worlds going somewhere outside NA?

FML

Teal said:
PMJ said:
2) Please tell me your source for this "fact". The Pokémon Center in Paris was ridiculously popular. If Worlds were in Europe, it would activate so many European fans, you don't even know.

I agree that worlds should rotate around, so different blood gets pumped in.

You contradicted your self here though. You asked him for his source on more NA players than any where else, than you said that Japan has more players than NA without any facts. It kind of irked me.

I did some fact checking and tallied up what the number of worlds per continent is. I would have done by Country, but Europe is small :L.

NA: 2004(Orlando), 2005(San Diego), 2006(Anaheim), 2007(Hawaii), 2008(Orlando) 2009(San Diego), 2010(Hawaii), 2011(San Diego), 2012(Hawaii), 2013(Vancouver), and 2014(Washington D.C.)

Notes from Researcher:
1. Why no Chicago. You didn't even pick all of the Iconic American cities. Also why no mexico?
2.I can see why the US has won in one Division most years because Americans have a huge advantage to getting there even though we have to get more CP.
3.Why not have it in more Iconic World cities like Tokyo, Sydney, Paris, London, or even Berlin. They cities that most people would know about. Also I think a lot of US players
4.Don't players who do really well in Nationals get a Scholarship for world's? If yes that will insure top players will go. Of course you would have to schedule more time, but that is what the rest of the world has been doing since 2004.

Mr.Muffin said:
Teal said:

You contradicted your self here though. You asked him for his source on more NA players than any where else, than you said that Japan has more players than NA without any facts. It kind of irked me.

I did some fact checking and tallied up what the number of worlds per continent is. I would have done by Country, but Europe is small :L.

NA: 2004(Orlando), 2005(San Diego), 2006(Anaheim), 2007(Hawaii), 2008(Orlando) 2009(San Diego), 2010(Hawaii), 2011(San Diego), 2012(Hawaii), 2013(Vancouver), and 2014(Washington D.C.)

Notes from Researcher:
1. Why no Chicago. You didn't even pick all of the Iconic American cities. Also why no mexico?
2.I can see why the US has won in one Division most years because Americans have a huge advantage to getting there even though we have to get more CP.
3.Why not have it in more Iconic World cities like Tokyo, Sydney, Paris, London, or even Berlin. They cities that most people would know about. Also I think a lot of US players
4.Don't players who do really well in Nationals get a Scholarship for world's? If yes that will insure top players will go. Of course you would have to schedule more time, but that is what the rest of the world has been doing since 2004.

Japan probably flat-out has more players than anywhere else is that compared to NA, or elsewhere in the world, Pokémon is insanely popular. The thing is, Worlds is always held in NA, a territory of NA, or somewhere on the actual continent. Nowhere else.
1. Probably because they haven't been interested, or a venue has not been available.
2. Exactly. You have the advantage of being close, while people elsewhere have to travel thousands of miles.
3. Yes. This should be what is happening.
4. It depends on the country I think, in the UK at least, the Winner gets an invite and payed trip, while second gets merely an invite and has to pay. A scholarship is a completely different thing to do with education. Only the top of the top get invites and the rest have to get in through CP or Grinding.

Scorched Feathers said:
Mr.Muffin said:

Notes from Researcher:

Japan probably flat-out has more players than anywhere else is that compared to NA, or elsewhere in the world, Pokémon is insanely popular. The thing is, Worlds is always held in NA, a territory of NA, or somewhere on the actual continent. Nowhere else.
1. Probably because they haven't been interested, or a venue has not been available.
2. Exactly. You have the advantage of being close, while people elsewhere have to travel thousands of miles.
4. It depends on the country I think, in the UK at least, the Winner gets an invite and payed trip, while second gets merely an invite and has to pay. A scholarship is a completely different thing to do with education. Only the top of the top get invites and the rest have to get in through CP or Grinding.
I didn't know another word to use besides scholarship. I didn't know if was all payed or some of it. Europe is way smaller than NA, so if you could choose a location there(In the middle) most people could get to it. The top 16 of National in the US(And Canada IIRC) get a paid trip and a $300 Travel stipend.

If the US can win one of the Divisions without the vast majority of players there being US than we could say we have a lot of the best players in the game.

Mr.Muffin said:
Good. Then it did its job. :p

Mr.Muffin said:
Scorched Feathers said:
I didn't know another word to use besides scholarship. I didn't know if was all payed or some of it. Europe is way smaller than NA, so if you could choose a location there(In the middle) most people could get to it. The top 16 of National in the US(And Canada IIRC) get a paid trip and a $300 Travel stipend.

I did not know this. Thank you American and your based geography skills.
(Seriously, I'm pretty sure Europe is bigger than NA.)
The reason you get that much support is because Worlds is held in your country, or you are close enough to get said support. There is no definite "middle" of Europe that I can think of which has a sizeable playerbase, as it is mainly western European countries with said large playerbases.

According to Google:

Size of North America: 9.54 million square miles.
Size of Europe: 3.931 million square miles (about one-third that of North America)

Size of the United States of America: 3.794 million square miles.

So to put that in context, the entirety of Europe could ALMOST fit inside America alone - and I guess the Europeans don't use "America" and "United States" interchangeably like we do.

The point in that was just to show you how big the US really is. And some research went into this, EASY research. Since you didn't do any, Scorched, I'm suddenly skeptical about your other points of view. How based in fact are they, really?

Oh my gosh guys... if you really want to talk about this (it's getting pretty much nonsensical), then you should look at population and most importantly, population density:

Population density:
North America: 22.9/km² (59.3/sq mi) / (565,265,000 people)
Europe: 72.9/km² (about 188/sq mi) / (742,452,000 people)

Yeaaah... more people in a smaller area.

But I understand that Americans think size is everything. :p

PMJ said:

This made me puke... :-(

Masters in Germany was more than 150 People, World for example in Europa would get ppl traveling, like in America ppl travel from one side to D.C. and so on.
The player base in europa combined is, I'm sure, as big as the american.
Don't think too superior of yourself. -.-

I don't understand why it hasn't been in Japan. It has one of the biggest player bases, and has the same success as US at worlds. I still think Paris would be a great location for Worlds. Looking at the list of locations it is kind of boring just San Diego and Hawaii in a rotation. An ideal rotation would be NA->Japan->Europe in any order. They are isolating 2/3rds of there player base from the biggest tournament of the year.

Back