2012? What do you think? Is it true?

2012 claim?

• True.

Votes: 10 9.2%
  • False.

Votes: 99 90.8%

• Total voters
well, I still forget about their calendars being based on never ending cycles some times. I did say in a few posts that they are cycles. And I don't recall having said in any of my post that it would end the world.

TruTruSky said:
afstandopleren said:
42 chocolate said:
Calendars exist for keeping track of the passage of time, not for predicting the future. The Mayan astronomers were clever, and they developed a very complex calendar. Ancient calendars are interesting to historians, but of they cannot match the ability we have today to keep track of time, or the precision of the calendars currently in use. The main point, however, is that calendars, whether contemporary or ancient, cannot predict the future of our planet or warn of things to happen on a specific date such as 2012.

I note that my desk calendar ends much sooner, on December 31 2009, but I do not interpret this as a prediction of Armageddon. It is just the beginning of a new year.

(These are not my words, but it is my view on the subject.)

You might want to delve deeper into the subject that is the Mayan Calendar before saying what you said next time. They predicted with their own calendar the Spanish Invasion and more. Despite them being very violent, there calendar is 1 piece of work 'modern' humans have yet to understand how they made it.

The Mayans also predicted that when their calendar ends, it will just reset itself.

I didn't say this. It's copy-pasted from nasa.gov. That's why I said "These are not my words, but it is my view on the subject".

I graduate in 2012. So clearly if anything does happen it will directly involve what I choose as a profession. Man, it ain't easy living with that kind of destiny...

This is a load of rubbish, it's just people who have nothing better to do with their lives than try to scare other people.

This is rubbish.

If it is at least I'll be able to have graduated High School CLASS OF 2011 YEEEEAAAAAA.

But seriously, I don't think so, God said nobody will know when and.... well all of you know about the 2012 thing sooooooooo I doubt it will actually happen then.... but of course the hobos in LA with the "End of the World" signs will never stop, so one of them is bound to be correct.

You people do realize that the Mayans weren't the only ones who predicted right. Nostradamus predicted some very accurate things. After looking over some prophecies, he has written some interesting thing about our future, but they all seem like things that would happen after 2012, so maybe it is just the beginning.
BTW, anyone going to see the movie?

I'll make a prediction and it's going to come true!

I predict that tomorrow... the sky will... be... BLUE! :O

I lol at anyone who believes this junk.

^ Same.

Honestly, if 2012 really is the end, and people from long ago foresaw it, then why can't we foresee the same thing? Are we lacking that much technology compared to the Mayans?

It's not true. I don't believe the Mayans predicted anything, other than maybe what kind of bow was the best to hunt with.

BTW who voted true?

Did anyone here watch the history channel (or was it science channel? i forget) special(s) on this? THEY (the experts from the documentary) said that the last time that the sun lined up like the mayans predicted it would in 2012 was 26,000 years ago. And what happened then? A mass extinction of many species, NOT the end of the world. The mayans predicted a great CATASTROPHE. It is probably that they predicted the next big extinction, which may or may not involve the extinction of humans. However, the end of Earth is unlikely. An Earth without humans is still a planet. It isn't "ZOMG HUMANZ R GONNA DIE AND THE EARTH TOO!!!1!!" The Earth will be fine with or without us.

Another fun fact: It takes approximately 26,000 years for the Earth to complete a "wobble" cycle on its axis (as the Earth actually wobbles slightly and comes to the starting point of the wobble every 26,000 years).

Just my take on this.

ragingphantom said:
Did anyone here watch the history channel (or was it science channel? I forget) special(s) on this? THEY (the experts from the documentary) said that the last time that the sun lined up like the mayans predicted it would in 2012 was 26,000 years ago. And what happened then? A mass extinction of many species, NOT the end of the world. The mayans predicted a great CATASTROPHE. It is probably that they predicted the next big extinction, which may or may not involve the extinction of humans. However, the end of Earth is unlikely. An Earth without humans is still a planet. It isn't "ZOMG HUMANZ R GONNA DIE AND THE EARTH TOO!1!!" The Earth will be fine with or without us.

Another fun fact: It takes approximately 26,000 years for the Earth to complete a "wobble" cycle on its axis (as the Earth actually wobbles slightly and comes to the starting point of the wobble every 26,000 years).

Just my take on this.

Exctinction? How does the planets being aligined cause an extiction? All I can think of is if the Sun was like, "IMA FIRIN MAH LAZOR" then we'd be dead. But the Sun isn't firin' a lazor anytime soon.

Brawler said:
It's not true. I don't believe the Mayans predicted anything, other than maybe what kind of bow was the best to hunt with.

BTW who voted true?

Believe what you want, but if you do some research your believe will be shattered. <_<

And I second this: Who thinks the World IS going to end in 2012?

afstandopleren said:
Nostrasomething was a fake. More Mayan predictions have come true then Nostra's.

You may want to do some checking before you go off and ridicule a great seer like that. Plus, have you even read any of his prophecies? If you did, you may see some things that have happened and are clear. He predicted 9/11 with great accuracy and has a picture in his lost book of a flaming tower.
The only reason his prophecies are unclear is because he had to write them in such a way as not to offend the Catholic Church as well as to disguise their true meaning to get away with writing them as to not get in trouble if he wrote something about the royal family (which he did and it came true).
So I say, think twice before you say such things.

He predicted 9-11. Yeah, I believe that. XP Flaming tower could have been a lot of things.

@afstandopleren- Yeah, I have researched that stuff. Yeah, I was exaggerating, but really- someone told me that they predicted Obama becoming president. Some of it's just crazy.

Brawler said:
BTW who voted true?

I made the poll so we can't see who voted what. I don't want any flaming starting up because someone voted true/false. Please don't ask this. ;)

It could happen. I really don't care if it does it does if not then people were wrong like always. I'm class of 2012 btw.

Im actually a little bit freaked on this subject. But actually, when you think about it, the mayans couldn't write their calender to go on forever. There calender had to end some place. I believe that the Mayans were working on the year of 2012 when they were wiped out. Thus, the calender ended, and everyone is getting a yay bit freaked about this, I am too, and I REWALLY hope the world doesnt end ;)

Back