(2) Phantom Forces Set List, Pokemon TCG Illustration Collection [10/23]

RE: Pokemon TCG Illustration Collection [10/23]

If Google Translate is going its thing properly, there's 200 illustrations in the book! This should be very very good indeed =)

Trick Coin...

Thank you for actually printing it in English. I really didn't think we would get it. Also Goodra line is a surprise... wonder where these cards came from.

Looks like it could be a decent pre-release.
Glad I only bought one of those GameStop Gengar Spirit Link things.

Rozureido said:
Trick Coin...

Thank you for actually printing it in English. I really didn't think we would get it. Also Goodra line is a surprise... wonder where these cards came from.

Goodra could most likely be the Japanese one that blocks tools...
We got the self healing one instead back in FlashFire

Goomy and Sliggoo should be reprints of the Flashfire cards with new artwork. Goodra should be completely new. All were XY-P promos.

The illustration book sounds really interesting. I wonder what exactly the artwork is? Verbatim card artwork or something more?

Looks like we aren't getting a seventh EX. Thanks for lying Pokemon.

And why the hell is Lysandre's Last Resort called Lysandre's Trump Card? That sounds extremely stupid.

Enhanced Hammer is back though. Goody goody.

And were the Team Flare Hyper Gear cards holo in Japan?

Wigglytuff said:
And were the Team Flare Hyper Gear cards holo in Japan?

Yep. Red holo borders with holo over the image, top TRAINER'S text, FLARE logo, and descriptive bottom text.

In my honest opinion, Vs. Seeker is going to be pretty good, even better than Pal Pad, Instant Lysandre or Skyla FTW! :)

Before I even cover the exclusive cards, let me say right now that the Rarities for this set are pretty Mediocre. They aren't as bad as Flash Fire or XY, but not as good as Legendary Treasures and Furious Fists.

First of all, let me just say that the following Pokemon in this set are considered Rares:
-Pachirisu
-Swalot
-Musharna
-Blissey
-Diggersby
-Galvantula
-Escavalier

That being said though, there are a few decent Rarities here:
-Skarmory is Common
-Wobbuffet is Uncommon
-Alamomola is Common

Okay, Enhanced Hammer gets a reprint? WHy would they be stupid enough to do that?? That card was broken through the roof, and this set also has Xerosic! It would be like if Superior Energy Retreival and Fisherman were both printed in the same set!

Hand Scope is meh. Don't care a whole lot for it.

Sycamore, DCE, Red Card and Shauna may seem like unnecessary reprints, but I need those cards pretty badly, so yay?

Trick Coin gets an English release, all right!

Helioptile is new to this set, but not the Gym Booster Heliolisk. He'll probably be saved for a Blister Pack.

Fairy Dedenne? Okay. It's Common, so it's not like it's going to ruin my day...

Overall, I think Phantom Forces is a bit bland. I'm not saying it's not a good set, it just falls into FlashFire's problem. Too many unneccesary reprints and terrible Rarities.

and that's just about i- HOLY GOODNESS NEW GOODRA PROMO LINE!!!!!

On the case of the TCG illustration, looks like RayBoar is back, though not as strong.

Stuff I noticed: Reprints:
Professor Sycamore
Shauna
Enhanced Hammer
Roller Skates
Tierno
Double Colorless

Unexpected Cards:
Goodra (Tool)
Trick Coin

Diance-Ex is NOT in this set.

Mortal_Zachary said:
We got 5 Team Flare Trainers when Japan got 2.

Not actually true. All 5 of the Flare cards were in Phantom Gate too, but only the "Hyper Gear" cards are the ones with the special design; the other 3 just look like regular trainer cards with Team Flare subtext. For example, here is a scan of Team Flare's Robo Substitute in Japanese.

Now I'm confused to no end. If Diancie-EX isn't here, and M. Diancie is still Scheduled for January, there's no way it will be in Primal Clash. Will she get a Promo Box as well, or are we missing something?

Good question GadgetJax, I was about to post that same observation as well. Unless that list is incomplete it doesn't mention Diancie EX. M. Diancie EX box is scheduled for the middle of January. Unless they're altering their plans to make this box similar to the M. Metagross EX box, we won't have a Diancie EX when M. Diancie EX comes out. Maybe they plan on releasing it in theaters? It's not too likely as we don't even know if it's going to theaters in the first place, but hey we never know.

Yay, fairy Dedenne. While I do kind of wish it was holo, no such luck. But there is still reverse holo. Glad to see the tool blocking Goodra on the list, I was wondering where it was. Too bad though we still have to wait for the fighting Pangoro. That one better be holo when we get it. Ooh, just noticed Gourgeist is holo too, gonna be making that replacement in my live poke card dex. Is it me or do they change the holo cards between the Japanese set and the English one?

So no Diancie EX, but we don't have a seventh EX here either? Were we lied to? On the other hand look at the card list again. It doesn't have the secret rare versions of M. Gengar EX and M. Manectric EX like the last two sets had (both M. Charizards and M. Kangaskhan in Flashfire and M. Lucario and M. Heracross in Furious Fists) nor does it list the full metal Dialga FA like they had in the Hyper Metal Chain deck. Would they normally list secret rares on the card list? If they don't, then could the full metal Dialga FA and more importantly the now possibly mythical seventh (Diancie) EX be secret rares?

As far as the 7th EX goes, Diancie-EX might be saved for the Secret Rare slot. I know it sounds really crazy and stupid, but look at the facts.

-The Booster Pack Art features Gengar, Manectric, Aegislash, and Diancie. If Diancie wasn't going to have an EX in this set, then why wouldn't they use something like Dialga for the Pack Art?

-Diancie in Phantom Forces is, correct me if I'm wrong, the first appearence of Diancie in American Products. The Movie for her hasn't even been released in the States yet, so it would make sense for them to use Diancie-EX as a Secret Rare, since she really hasn't been given a full American Introduction yet.

I said this from the start and people I talked to didnt believe me, they dont print all the EX for cover art. Here's the copy/paste of what I had originally wrote up

Just a reminder that there's no guarantee that Diancie will be an EX, in fact having it on the cover art almost solidifies the fact that it wont be (but I could be wrong). Look at TCPi's history when it comes to booster pack cover art, with the exception of Next Destinies (start of EXs) and XY Base set (they wanted to represent the new mega and new legendary) there has never been a set where all 4 cover artwork represents an EX.

Plasma Blast: EX Genesect, Palkia, Dialga, and non EX Porygon Z

Legendary Treasures: EX Mewtwo, Reshiram, Zekrom, and non EX Genesect

FlashFire: EX M Charizard (2), M Kangaskhan, and non EX Pyroar

Furious Fists: EX M Heracross, M Lucario, Hawlucha, and non EX Tyrantrum

Now with Phantom Forces we already have 3 confirmed EX cards represented on the covers, Aegislash, M Gengar, and M Manectric.

Back