(2) New Legendary in Victini Movie, Legendary Pokemon Renamed Mythical? [2/10]

The term "Mythicals" does indeed refer to event-only Pokemon. It's actually a direct translation from the Japanese term "Maboroshi Pokemon". Legendaries on the other hand is called "Densetsu Pokemon".
Maboroshi and Legendaries are two different categories to the Japanese officials -- recall we could use one legendary in the 2010 World Championships, but no maboroshi could be entered.
I suspect the term "Event Pokemon" is confusing by itself since Shiny Pichu is an event too. That's why PUSA decided to follow the Japanese official and reclassify maboroshi as "Mythicals" in order to distinguish them from legendaries obtainable in-game.

(By the same reasoning, Zorua and Zoroark should not be Mythicals because they can breed and evolve. (The jury is still out for Phione) They are not legendaries either, so they'll be classified as normal Pokemon.)

HADAA said:
The term "Mythicals" does indeed refer to event-only Pokemon. It's actually a direct translation from the Japanese term "Maboroshi Pokemon". Legendaries on the other hand is called "Densetsu Pokemon".
Maboroshi and Legendaries are two different categories to the Japanese officials -- recall we could use one legendary in the 2010 World Championships, but no maboroshi could be entered.
I suspect the term "Event Pokemon" is confusing by itself since Shiny Pichu is an event too. That's why PUSA decided to follow the Japanese official and reclassify maboroshi as "Mythicals" in order to distinguish them from legendaries obtainable in-game.

(By the same reasoning, Zorua and Zoroark should not be Mythicals because they can breed and evolve. (The jury is still out for Phione) They are not legendaries either, so they'll be classified as normal Pokemon.)

Reading this (and a few other posts earlier in the thread) made me accept the term (especially now that I remember "Maboroshi Pokémon"). I guess now it's nice to have a term other than "Event Legendaries" to describe them.

The Mythical thing is a very, very good term change in my opinion. It's clearly an official term for what fans call Event Legendaries. Hence why Pokemon like Entei and Zekrom aren't "Mythical Pokemon". Stuff like Arceus and Victini are purely event-exclusive. It makes sense for another reason, too. It now gives Nintendo more of a legitimate reason to pretend unrevealed event legendaries don't exist. As far as the games' occupants are concerned, they don't. We, the fans, seem to forget that just because we know something doesn't mean the Pokemon universe in general does.

@RiverShock: "Stuff like Arceus..." STUFF! It created the Pokemon Universe....LOL Just toying with you :p
@Topic: I have accepted the term now. I still think it is a little......odd, and I won't be used to it. I am glad Reshii and Zekky aren't "Mythicals". Aghh! A period ouside of my quotation marks -.-"

Back