(2) ALL 'Emerging Powers' Scans, Scrafty Distribution at Worlds [8/14]

Johto-Master said:
44 out of the 89 Pokemon in this set rely on coinflips.

Also, ZPS may use Swanna instead of Yanmega as Donphan couters, because it can one-shot Donphan for 2 energy. (Water and DCE) though those energies would hurt consistency. They could use Pachi and Shaymin to put Electrics on it, and run maybe 2 waters.

Tornadus>yanmega>swanna

StealthAngel667 said:
^M:tG logic doesn't really apply to Pokemon, since Pokemon only has 1 working strategy right now (beatdown/aggro).

You missed the point completely.

The point is that this set appeals not to competitive battlers like what makes up most of Pokébeach, but for the kids (and older casual Pokémon fans) who are excited to see 5th-generation Pokémon get cards for the first time. They are not competitive; they will make decks out of their favorite Pokémon--more so if it has big numbers printed on it, which this set has. I explained it in more detail earlier.

That's why I enjoy this set--it's got a bunch of Pokémon I wanted to see cards for. It has what I wanted, and I'm happy.

Hello everyone!
I come from a China Pokémon Wiki, and my question is : Can I put these image on our Wiki if I tag that the image is from Pokébeach? (Sorry for my poor English...)

847418742 said:
Hello everyone!
I come from a China Pokémon Wiki, and my question is : Can I put these image on our Wiki if I tag that the image is from Pokébeach? (Sorry for my poor English...)

You should email that question to the webmaster, Water Pokémon Master, at his email:

[email protected]

He's the only one who can answer that question.

Radical144 said:
Tornadus>yanmega>swanna

I do NOT like Yanmega as Donphan "counter". It takes 3 turns to KO it. Giving a Donphan Deck 3 turns is almost guaranteeing a Heavy Impact set up or even worse, Machamp Prime.

Tornadus on the other hand, I like the sound of.

Judging from all the cards I've seen that were spoiled from this set I'm really disappointed, why does Pokemon USA insist on cutting 10-15+ good cards out of each set just to give us more bad cards with very few good cards? That's what really annoys me about PUSA/TPCi these days. They did the same thing with Call of Legends and they did it again here in Black & White: Emerging Powers. They could've gave us stuff that would shake the metagame more from the Japanese Red Collection set but like they've done since the end of the Diamond/Pearl and Platinum series they've cut good cards as usual to save for next set.

The only real reason to buy this set at all is for Pokemon Catcher's, Max Potion's, and like 10 or so good Pokemon like Gothitelle (Ability), Ferrothorn (Gyro Ball), and Leavanny (Nurturing). That's really it. Why give us really bad Japanese Starter Promos in this set like Zoroark, Cincinno, and Krookodile? That doesn't make any sense to me at all. I don't understand why we didn't get the new N Supporter or the new Kyurem when they could've thrown it in this set to begin with. All in all, I like this new expansion but they could've done a whole lot better. I personally think Beartic is getting WAY too much hype as it is, but then again since not very many people run Dodrio it might come in handy.

Tornadus and Thundurus aren't that great compared to Reshiram and Zekrom from last set, neither is Virizion, Terrakion, and Cobalion either. I mean they're cool Legendary Pokemon but at least make them playable is that so hard to ask? The only playable Legendary I see out of them is Tornadus which has amazing synergy with DCE. I'm serious two thirds of Black/White Emerging Powers consist of unplayable cards with only a few playable cards at best. Can someone explain to me why Pokemon USA has been on this "let's cut alot of good cards out of every set" spree that they've been doing lately? Pokemon Catcher was reasonable for cutting but even then it's more like kicking the can down the road instead of solving concrete problems If there is any.

Because it sells well anyway, pure and simple. People are buying these cards (not you guys here, who battle competitively, but just the ordinary people) because they want to get a card of their favorite 5th-generation Pokémon. If it happens to be Beartic, or Ferrothorn, or Terrakion, or even just Roggenrola or Joltik, that's reason enough to go out and keep buying the booster packs until they get the card that they want. That, and the fact that it's a Black/White set, and currently, the association with the Unova Pokémon is enough to allow it to fly off the shelves.

As a whole, I do think this set is not very valuable to a Spike. But to just the casual, ordinary buyers, it's gold.

The reason why Nintendo of America stretches out the sets the way that it does is to wring more money. Pokémon cards sell better when you sell to the rank-and-file collectors and players first, then to the hardcore folks like the people over here, than to sell to both groups right away. The buying habits between the two audiences are quite different.

This pattern has happened as early as the Ruby/Sapphire sets: The worst sets for a Spike is always at the beginning of a generation, and the best sets are towards the end. The former is for the casual players; the latter is for the competitive players.

@Card Slinger J

The reason as Ophie said is purely BUSINESS.

@Ophie
The only time that trend didn't really happen was during the start of the DP-block where the first three sets gave us a ton of options but it is a fact that the second set (MT) sucked balls. If you would count the HGSS era as a new block since new card styles were released, I would say the opening set was a good one.

They could've gave us stuff that would shake the metagame more from the Japanese Red Collection set but like they've done since the end of the Diamond/Pearl and Platinum series they've cut good cards as usual to save for next set.

But we were never going to get Red Collection cards in Emerging Powers; we're always going to be a set behind Japan and we always HAVE been at least a set behind Japan. And other than Red Collection there's nothing else really "playable" in Japan right now that all of these so-called "filler" cards in EP are preventing from getting a release here in August. We'll get Red Collection in November, then we'll be one set behind Japan in the form of Psycho Drive/Hail Blizzard, then we'll get that in February once Japan has released some other set. This release schedule tends to be like clockwork for Pokemon.

Japan tends to have much smaller sets than we do (until they've started releasing two sets at once as their opening HGSS/BW expansion) but they release a lot more cards in other ways like half decks, promos, etc. TPCi has to release those cards some way, as people do like to collect Pokemon cards, so they end up in our English expansions, making them a lot bigger than Japan's tend to be. That explains all of the "really bad" cards in this set like Cinccino. And I'm glad we got those cards since I like collecting and seeing the US get as much stuff as Japan, which is what they've been doing with BW's TCG so far.

If they didn't save some good cards from the Japanese BW base set for EP, EP would be even WORSE right now with no appeal to competitive players at all. Clearly TPCi wants to appeal to collectors and players with every set, so they saved things like Ability Gothmuppet, Beartic, Bianca, Cheren, Max Revive and Catcher for this set.

Do any of you guys know if pulling a Pokemon Catcher is rare? A friend of mine went to Worlds with his girlfriend and they both went to pre release, and out of the combined 16 packs they got, NO catchers. Also I was watching a video of a box opening and she must have gotten half way through the box without pulling a single catcher. Just wondering if it's rare to pull it, even though it is an uncommon.

That's typically how hot Trainers are handled. They SAY their uncommon on the card, but they seem to be pulled as frequently as rares.

T-Peezy said:
Also I was watching a video of a box opening and she must have gotten half way through the box without pulling a single catcher.

If that's RenaeCollects, she also said that the guy who won the two boxes pulled three Catchers in his box. It's just a random thing. I've seen people open entire boxes without pulling a specific uncommon, even if it wasn't a "good" one like Catcher is. Sometimes people just aren't on the right side of probability.

Riskbreakers said:
@Ophie
The only time that trend didn't really happen was during the start of the DP-block where the first three sets gave us a ton of options but it is a fact that the second set (MT) sucked balls. If you would count the HGSS era as a new block since new card styles were released, I would say the opening set was a good one.

No, I would say that the original Diamond/Pearl set wasn't too competitive either. The majority of the cards in that set had regular damage-dealing attacks for an appropriate Energy cost and coin-flip status conditions, with a few Pokémon Lv.X and a core set of Trainers and Supporters added in. And Speed Stadium.

The generation where it really didn't happen was the 2nd. Neo Genesis got us Sneasel, Slowking, and Cleffa all at once. The set was intensely popular, but with nothing that could stand up to it in the subsequent sets, the Pokémon card scene shrunk dramatically. In other words, Nintendo (and Wizards of the Coast) appealed to both Timmies and Spikes in Neo Genesis and lost sales in the long run for doing that.

Can't wait for catcher, recycle, and Tornadus, and an easy way to kill donphan. :D
Recycle can act like a junk arm too, except with more options!!
Also thanks for the scans, they look great!

There are some nice artworks, but cards you want to play? Only see trainers that you want to get from this set the pokemon are mostly just to crappy...
The cards I think you should get:
Pokemon Catcher
Bianca
Great Ball
Maybe Recyle, Max Potion (for Yanmega Prime) and Crushing Hammer

Tornadus as a donphan tech is in my eyes way to slow, since Catcher just will atk your bench then and as a tech you won't play more than 1 to 2 in your deck.

Still wondering when rare candy will be printed with the new text.Thought it would be in this set.

Lol I have seen Catcher already pitching 5 dollars each xD. This is gonna be like BTS xD. 15 dollars for RH and 10 for regular :p. Pull out your wallet...this is gonna get expensive.

Back