#10: What is art?

But from your reaction it seems that it has drawn emotion. It has drawn anger, which may have been the artists intention.

All art is an expression. It can be anything. It is all down to preferences really as some would say a naked women is innapropriate whilst others say it is a work of art.

But IMO art can be anything as long as it conveys a meaning or a message

The art of art is not the piece of art itself, but convincing others that it is art. The Mona Lisa wouldn't be nearly as impressive if there weren't this much hype.

Something being beautiful doesn't make it art, something generating an emotion (be it sadness, happiness, anger, or even disappointment) does not make it art. Getting something in a museum does.

I say we just don't care about whether or not something is art, and look at it for what it is, not what others are telling us what it is. The entire premise of trying to define "art" is silly. "Art" has to be the silliest word around.

Fact: A team of scientists sold a picture painted by monkeys throwing paint at a peice of paper to an art gallery for £10,000 claiming for it to be modern art.

Opinion: Just sayin :)

Heavenly Spoon :F said:
I say we just don't care about whether or not something is art, and look at it for what it is, not what others are telling us what it is. The entire premise of trying to define "art" is silly. "Art" has to be the silliest word around.

I guess I'm in the same boat as Mr. Spoon on this topic. xP

Xous said:
Heavenly Spoon :F said:

I guess I'm in the same boat as Mr. Spoon on this topic. xP
I see the point of it. I suppose I'll have to agree with this one.

Art is made from human creativity. So it's to each individual person to judge (beautiful or ugly).

dmaster out.

I don't really think art has a definition. To one's eyes, someone's work may look like "art" to them, or it may not. Beauty is the eye of the beholder, after all.

Art is anything that has to be imagined, thought up, or created. As for beauty, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and is simply an opinion or perception.

DarthPika said:
There is art, and then there is stuff that people like to call "art". ;)

There are posts, and then there are sad excuses like this which on this forum somehow still consider "posts".

Art can be anything. To say something isn't art because you don't agree with its appearance or the standard by which it was made is simply closed-minded.

wow, this has GOT to be the first thread where people are walking in circles legally on a forum.

Back