(1) X/Y Gameplay and X/Y Anime Preview on ‘Pokemon Smash’ [7/20]

I dunno, there was a lot of little details that kind of bugged me about that gameplay footage. With everything in 3D, keeping movement stuck on a grid just seems so restrictive. It's like an immersion killer. And then there's the camera swinging around to a front view of Froakie every time Fletchling attacked, to help disguise that they're not making contact I guess? And then that pokeball falling onto the "water" without a splash animation or anything. And the sand texture visibly being a single square tile repeated everywhere.

These might seem like nitpicking, but you can't get away with this stuff in 3D. The world has to be consistent. I don't want to play a 3D pokemon game just to have it look worse than Animal Crossing and Mario 64. :( Maybe Nintendo should devote another studio to the graphics engine and let Gamefreak focus on the design and gameplay and writing and everything else?

The pokemon themselves, however, have all looked great in 3D. No complaints there, other than not seeing them outside of battle

garbodorable said:
I dunno, there was a lot of little details that kind of bugged me about that gameplay footage. With everything in 3D, keeping movement stuck on a grid just seems so restrictive. It's like an immersion killer. And then there's the camera swinging around to a front view of Froakie every time Fletchling attacked, to help disguise that they're not making contact I guess? And then that pokeball falling onto the "water" without a splash animation or anything.

These might seem like nitpicking, but you can't get away with this stuff in 3D. The world has to be consistent. I don't want to play a 3D pokemon game just to have it look worse than Animal Crossing and Mario 64. :( Maybe Nintendo should devote another studio to the graphics engine and let Gamefreak focus on the design and gameplay and writing and everything else?

The pokemon themselves, however, have all looked great in 3D. No complaints there, other than not seeing them outside of battle
"Gameplay footage is due to change"

Fennekin is so much cuter than I had realized!

B4Wy5dN.gif

I'm convinced now. I'll choose you, fennekin, and if I don't like your evos, you'll stay a fennekin forever! *hugs fennekin*

Salamencetrainer34 said:
"Gameplay footage is due to change"

I get that, but that's a lot of changes they still have to make. And they're definitely not going to change grid-based movement or pokemon outside of battle, it's too late for that.

Otherwise I'm just criticizing what I can see so far. If Gamefreak sees the same detail problems and improves them, that's great!

Actually, I just want the overworld to look as much like Animal Crossing as possible. That's what struck me as the character was fishing and I was looking for the transluscent water and fish shadow, lol

Well that Octillery was beautiful! Glad to see him!

Wish we had gotten a bit of a change from the amorphous blob that you surf on, but the surfing animation still looks nice.

CaseyVGCx said:
IDK for me Froakie in the anime is...
Chespin looks like it can sharpen it spikes on its head.
Fenniken is like lolz.

It adds credibility to the theory that Chespin is a hedgehog, since hedgehogs' main defense is making their spines point up, while the spines usually lie "slicked back" when a hedgehog is undisturbed (sort of like how Chespin's spikes look kind of limp when it isn't raising them).

All of the animations are incredible. I don't like the beaches on any pokemon game so that doesn't matter to me. Also DIAGONAL GRASS :eek: ........ XD finally.

Tsukeo said:
I just hope that the battles would be a LITTLE bit faster.

Yes, it seems awesome the first battles you have, but eventually you will grow tired of the constant long animation cycle of seeing the Pokémon, that animation of sending your Pokémon out, and finally the animation for catching Pokémon. Think about trying to catch legendaries and having to see that same animation over and over again.

Agreed; this is the one part of these trailers that stuck out to me as being a problem (everything else ranged from great to only slightly rough around the edges, not enough to bother me). I'm hoping we have three options this time. Something like this:
Full animation: Plays all animations and whatnot normally.
Some animation: Plays them a little bit faster, skips some minor stuff (maybe things like camera movement, a Pokemon's "eating" animation when using stuff like Leftovers, etc.)
No animation: No attack or effect animations are shown. This is usually the setting I play on while level grinding :T

The TCG game for the Game Boy had like, 5 different animation settings, so I don't see what would be the holdup in having a similar system for X/Y.

[/b]
Frezgle said:
Tsukeo said:
I just hope that the battles would be a LITTLE bit faster.

Yes, it seems awesome the first battles you have, but eventually you will grow tired of the constant long animation cycle of seeing the Pokémon, that animation of sending your Pokémon out, and finally the animation for catching Pokémon. Think about trying to catch legendaries and having to see that same animation over and over again.

Agreed; this is the one part of these trailers that stuck out to me as being a problem (everything else ranged from great to only slightly rough around the edges, not enough to bother me). I'm hoping we have three options this time. Something like this:
Full animation: Plays all animations and whatnot normally.
Some animation: Plays them a little bit faster, skips some minor stuff (maybe things like camera movement, a Pokemon's "eating" animation when using stuff like Leftovers, etc.)
No animation: No attack or effect animations are shown.
This is usually the setting I play on while level grinding :T

The TCG game for the Game Boy had like, 5 different animation settings, so I don't see what would be the holdup in having a similar system for X/Y.

I want exactly that

The fishing animation looked great. Also, I like how the player actually places the item in the bag after picking it up.

Swordmaster13 said:
The fishing animation looked great. Also, I like how the player actually places the item in the bag after picking it up.

IKR how did that first get introduced this gen kinda sad. :p

For people complaining about some of the graphics: Chill out guys. They can easily add in things into future games. I mean, we could see up to two generations on the 3DS.

Teeboy23 said:
For people complaining about some of the graphics: Chill out guys. They can easily add in things into future games. I mean, we could see up to two generations on the 3DS.

You are very correct but people want stuff in the moment so they complain when they dont get it.

oh gosh!! Dem starters!! So cute!! ^_____^ I've never liked all three starters this much ever! Please let their final evos be as cool as they are adorable! :3

And yeah, I do hope nothing is final with the gameplay footage... the static standing trainers, I can let that pass, but the fisherman that wasn't moving at all feels awkward. Just tiny movements/details like a moving fishing line or arms would be awesome. (I have to agree that the animation when the character put the item in the bag was cool.) But nevertheless, gah! Please come sooner October 12! :D

This is the first generation of Pokemon on 3DS so it won't be nitpicking on graphics as hard.

Remember this is not a PC Game, and you may not see the Antialiasing and other post effects since were not watching this on a real 3DS.

Sent from my HTC One

Regarding gameplay, one the things that bugged me was the minor detail that when catching a Pokémon, the Pkball didn't touch the target, instead stoping right at its front and then opening.
Also, why the heck does a battle on a beach scenario has "aqua rings" as areas for Pokémon!? The trainer is on land, but the battle might be all on the beach, all on the sea, or the trainer's Pokémon staying on the beach while the hooked one will be on sea. They could create one scenario based on one of this options instead of a beach with puddles.

About the anime video, there was something strange with the staters. First because the background was very detailed and kind of shadowy while the starters were more vivid. Second, I was hoping to see the starters with a little brighter colors, they seem darker when compared to the game's artwork.
Btw, Ash screaming when leaving the plane....Somewhere in Unova, a chill runs through the spine. Iris looks into the sky and says: "You're such a kid!" XD

Yessssss! we can still fish and i'm glad to see that Octillery will be appearing in the games. Also that move that Honedge used with the shadow was friggin awesome! While we still get the amorphous blob for surfing we actually get to see the character put items in the bag when they're acquired! It's little things like that that get me excited about new Pokemon games.

Drokas said:
The starters in the anime trailer look a bit weird for me... I mean, their body shape and details, not the animation itself. =X

Fennekin looks far better than it's Sugimori art, it doesn't look like its neck will snap due to the size of its head now.

I think it would have been cool if Oorotto appeared in the gameplay, cause I really want to see what it looks like in the game :)

Back