(1) Pokemon 'Black' and 'White' Game Coverage Begins! [9/17]

Status
Not open for further replies.
it's messed up that Nintendo did this!!

QUICK EVERYONE....PRINT...PRINT...PRINT...PRINT ALL OF THE NEW POKEMON.....PRINT ALL OF THE NEW INFO...PRINT!

I love Pokemon and the wii and the dsi, but... COME ON!!! IS IT REALLY NESSISARY FOR NINTENDO TO DO THIS!!!??

I asked the guy to explain the whole situation to me and he said he'll be e-mailing all the major sites, including Serebii and Pokexperto (those are the only ones I remember him naming). I was first on the list. It's actually a lot of work to send out one of those letters, so it could take a bit of time before other people get the same one.

And btw I have to go so if you have any questions just post them here and I'll read them later tonight.

Wait nevermind. I don't remember Nintendo sending letters to Pokebeach via Diamond/Pearl releasing in Japan.

So why to Black/White? Sure, it looks like the coolest Pokemon game EVUH with a bunch of awesome Pokes, but its, like, not cool of Nintendo to do this.

Hang on... I'm really confused now - especially with Pokexperto. So, Pokexperto supposedly worked for Nintendo, yet according to someone else he goes to school... :S ... and also, he posted fan art of the new pokemon, so they can't be copyrighted by anyone except for Pokexperto, Hiro, Melkor or whatever you'd call them. Therefore, no legal action can be taken against him/them. Plus this is stupid anyway.

Hang on... I'm really confused now - especially with Pokexperto. So, Pokexperto supposedly worked for Nintendo, yet according to someone else he goes to school... :S ... and also, he posted fan art of the new pokemon, so they can't be copyrighted by anyone except for Pokexperto, Hiro, Melkor or whatever you'd call them. Therefore, no legal action can be taken against him/them. Plus this is stupid anyway.

Pokexperto's owners are Melkor and Hiro. Melkor works for Nintendo, but in a magazine from Spain. I think Hiro goes to school. =P And yeah, this is estupid. xD

Oh noes! Will WPM have to take down the isshu pokemon sprites? Just in case, I think we should open up the isshu pokemon list in a new tab so that if they get removed, we can print screen them and put them in a ppt.

SAVE THE NEW INFO!! IF SOMEONE DOESN'T GET IT, WE CAN PM IT.
edit: in the process of saving b&w images before they are removed

Wow, doesn't Nintendo have anything better to do than police Pokemon fansites? Shouldn't they be, I dunno, helping Squeenix issue cease and desist orders for fan sequels after they're almost done or something?

Edit: Also, if anyone's worried about losing access to the new Pokedex when WMP has to remove it, there's always the option of copy-pasting the whole thing into a word document after making with the Ctrl-A. Not that I'm advocating or supporting what is, apparently, an egregious breach of TPCi's copyright laws. I'd _certainly_ never do this myself.

Edit: Moved from other thread. Other post deleted. (Self-moderating, woo hoo.)

@TomSkylark- I'm trying to get as much black and white pics onto a power point file as I can.. PPT is quicker to move images, etc. that word, so.. If anyone has any special images they want, either save them yourself or post them for me to save.

Honestly... I highly doubt that this letter is real - there are inconsistences and errors that would not be present in a REAL legal document.

First off - spelling and grammatical errors - letters like this are based off the same general base in order for them to be a lot easier to write-up and manage - only specific details (ie, name of infringer, company infringed, content infringed) would be left out, the rest would be part of a pre-written base that is used over and over again. Meaning, there would be no grammatical errors because, for one, it would have been checked over countless times and, two, it is a legal document, any errors could technically make it void.
This brings me to my second point - due to it having come from a generic base letter, it would not take them long to send them out to other sites that are infringing. Also, even at that, if all sites were getting done for the same thing, they'd send them all out together - doing them in a list, ie, sending it to you first, is complete bull for two reasons: one; it completely nullifies objectivity and basically makes it seem as though they're picking on you more cos you're first, which they wouldn't do because it is illegal and would be a kind-of stupid mistake for lawyers of all people to make and, two; it would give you time to warn other sites which is another completely stupid and amatuerish thing for a lawyer to do.

Also, why the hell would they even send it to you first of all the sites? I'm sorry to say but Serebii has way more pics and info than you and, to take it even further, YouTube is swarming in videos of Black and White - if, and only if, they were gonna deal with it in some kind of order, they'd deal with the biggest infringers first.

"Very truly yours," - does that even look like something a lawyer would even put on a letter? Hell no! "Regards" is about all your gonna get. "Very truly yours" is what you write to your partner, wife, whatever, etc.

And, another thing, legally they cannot give you 24hours to do anything - that is not a reasonable amount of time - the minimum, if memory serves, is 7 days and then they take it further. Giving you until tomorrow is a load of bullcrud and illegal - another mistake a lawyer wouldn't make.

Oh, and more - why now? Why with Black and White? Why not when you and everywhere else covered Diamond and Pearl? Platinum? HeartGold and SoulSilver? Battle Revolution? Mystery Dungeons? Any of the Ranger games? Or, hell, any website that has ever covered any kind of new release? Why now and why only you thus far? Why has there not been any other instances of websites being forced to take down content like this?

Oh, yeah, more - "any screenshots, videos, or other content that infringes Nintendo's rights in the Pokémon series or any other game."
Why only the games? Why not infringement of copyright for the movies? anime? Cards? Anything?

Oh, and even more - why from the American branch of Nintendo? Shouldn't this come under Japanese jurisdiction? Technically, it should because, for all intents and purposes, it's got nothing to do with the American branch.

To be honest, I could go on and on and on about this all night - there is so much crud in that letter it is actually laughable. Either you've been had or you've seriously bullshitted your followers and, in all honesty, I'm leaning towards the latter wherein you're a big faker.

And, on that note, if it is discovered that this letter has indeed been falsified- by you or anyone else - the person that did it will be reported and charged.

Not to be "that paranoid guy" who calls everything fake, but are you sure this letter is legit, WPM? Seems like a lotta those 4ch folks have a lotta time on their hands, and that this is a fairly innocuous case of "copyright violation." I can see why Ninty might be a tad peeved that you're pretty blunt about stating that you're playing ROMs on the main page, but that hardly warrants litigious action against a fansite, of all things. Plus, I don't know that many law offices that are open on Saturday, even if they work for large corporations.

Edit: @ Ambi Pom Pom: Agreed, for all the reasons you state. Anyone can write up a document with (not very convincing) fake legalese and a number one can call and get an answer from someone who says they're a lawyer. This doesn't look particularly professional, and again, I'm not seeing why Ninty would suddenly start going after fansites that have been around for so long, and had copyrighted material up for so long. Why wouldn't they simply ask you to cease and desist your entire website, considering you have scans of almost all of the cards up, in addition to all sorts oh homebrew and walkthrough info that eliminates the need to purchase a lot of their products?

So they let you post stuff about Diamond, Pearl, Platinum, HeartGold and SoulSilver. But as soon as Black and White come out, you end up in trouble. What the heck!

If anything, I'd say PokeBeach is making money for Nintendo because of this. The footage, screenshots and info looks awesome, which will make people want to buy it, which gives Nintendo money.

I lost a lot of faith in Nintendo after this. Microsoft, here I come.

thats pretty intense that you had a lawyer warn you about the info. wpm
well atleast he liked your site, thats kind of awesome an intense at the same time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back