(1) Nintendo to Announce a New Game Tomorrow - Pokemon? [2/21]

Videoland said:
I also think "gray" will be for DS. I once read a interview with one of the people behind pokémon, and he said "I always wanted to make another generation for DS" :/

I wonder what they will make to improve the grapics thought. Emerald introduced animations when the opponents pokémon were sent out. I think Platinum made animations for the back sprites? So what will Gray add? Attack animations would be very nice! And will we get new sprites? Right now the they made the sprite so the back and front sprite fit eachother, so I could see that being a "problem" if they decided to make new sprites.. :/

I am almost certain new features will be added and possibly changes in the graphics will be present. If they don't make many changes than it is pretty much just Black and White all over again, so to get sales up, they will need to introduce new features within the game.

Playerking95 said:
I'm so sick of people calling it Grey/Gray. If this indeed is a Pokemon game announcement and it is the 3rd game in the series of the main series games of Generation 5, I hope to Arceus it isn't called Gray/Grey.

But, I can't wait for the announcement regardless.

I always thought the third would be called pokemon blank, since kyurem represents the absence of both ying and yang. I agree that it wont be called gray/grey.

GreenAiden555 said:
Here's the problem, though:

Nintendo is attempting to phase out the DS system all together. They want to focus on getting the 3DS into more hands, and considering the INCREDIBLE momentum the 3DS has had this past year, there is absolutely NO reason why aside from, as some call it, alienating some fans. Even then, Nintendo is a business and selling more product is the name of the game.

Reggie, not ONCE, acknowledged the Nintendo DS system in the Nintendo Direct video, an the newest crossover game will probably be the last decent-to- amazing game the DS will have.

Also, no. Nintendo would not rather have ANYONE spend money on buying a used game or system. You do understand that the companies that sell used video game hardware and software keep the profit, right? Game$top doesn't cut Nintendo a check for every used DS system sold; they pocket that money. That's a loss of funding for Nintendo.

Smart businessmen do not gamble with money.

It's true - Nintendo wants to toss away the DS/DSi era and bring everybody into the 3DS. After all, it is a more powerful system, with far higher ceiling of capability. However, your argument is a mess of confusion, the discussion of the console itself does not have as much to do with the game.

It is quite simple. You have either the choice between releasing a game to a limited audience - the ones who currently have a 3DS, or an incredibly expansive audience that has continually supported the franchise (DS, DSi, and the 3DS). When you're dealing with over 13 million units sold, you do not throw away 80% of the audience that is more than willing to buy the next version of the game.

If Pokemon Grey is released as a DS game, it will probably have some functionality with the 3DS, enough to make regular DS owners jealous, making them want their own 3DS system. That's the smartest way to go about it - as long as they don't leave out heaping amounts of content, which we know Nintendo never does.

If it's released as a 3DS game, it is a guarantee that 3DS sales will rise. But, unless Nintendo is willing to lose millions of sales, it won't happen.

The used console / game argument doesn't exactly have a place in your argument. The DS and DSi have been out for so long it's ridiculous - everybody who wants one probably has one by now. Nintendo already knows that brand new DS / DSi sales will account for virtually none of their income. The fact that Nintendo and all other gaming companies out there are fighting extremely hard over how to handle digital media / used consoles doesn't have anything to do with Pokemon Grey!

Smart businessmen DO gamble with money. Everything that's ever been a big success was a big risk that could've cost whoever was behind it just as much money. (This applies to the Wii, the iPod, Southwest Airlines's current pricing policies, Cold-Eeze cough drops, Disney's Snow White and the Seven Dwarves, and AC electricity, off the top of my head. If any of those ventures failed, the company that made them would've gone bankrupt.) When you make safe decisions running a business, you don't grow much, if at all.

What distinguishes a great businessman from simply a competent one is knowing which gambles to take and which to pass on.

Also, Nintendo DOES try to phase out older systems. Otherwise, there'd still be official NES titles coming out. Of course, this is less on the business side and more on the marketing side.

Ophie said:
Smart businessmen DO gamble with money. Everything that's ever been a big success was a big risk that could've cost whoever was behind it just as much money. (This applies to the Wii, the iPod, Southwest Airlines's current pricing policies, Cold-Eeze cough drops, Disney's Snow White and the Seven Dwarves, and AC electricity, off the top of my head. If any of those ventures failed, the company that made them would've gone bankrupt.) When you make safe decisions running a business, you don't grow much, if at all.

What distinguishes a great businessman from simply a competent one is knowing which gambles to take and which to pass on.

Also, Nintendo DOES try to phase out older systems. Otherwise, there'd still be official NES titles coming out. Of course, this is less on the business side and more on the marketing side.

Well, this is true. I didn't think it would be appropriate to get too much into the topic of business / marketing, perhaps I should clarify and say that the things I wrote were in the context of Pokemon Grey. I don't think that this particular case warrants the risk it would be bringing on should they decide to release it purely to the 3DS when you take the title's profitability into account. Nintendo will always have a chance to innovate later - the 3DS was an interesting step, and the Wii U is leaps and bounds over what we would expect from Microsoft and Sony. I have have no doubt that the next set of Pokemon games will continue being released on the 3DS, just not Grey!

Not disagreeing with your points, just clarifying myself a bit~

Megaphone said:

It's true - Nintendo wants to toss away the DS/DSi era and bring everybody into the 3DS. After all, it is a more powerful system, with far higher ceiling of capability. However, your argument is a mess of confusion, the discussion of the console itself does not have as much to do with the game.

It is quite simple. You have either the choice between releasing a game to a limited audience - the ones who currently have a 3DS, or an incredibly expansive audience that has continually supported the franchise (DS, DSi, and the 3DS). When you're dealing with over 13 million units sold, you do not throw away 80% of the audience that is more than willing to buy the next version of the game.

If Pokemon Grey is released as a DS game, it will probably have some functionality with the 3DS, enough to make regular DS owners jealous, making them want their own 3DS system. That's the smartest way to go about it - as long as they don't leave out heaping amounts of content, which we know Nintendo never does.

If it's released as a 3DS game, it is a guarantee that 3DS sales will rise. But, unless Nintendo is willing to lose millions of sales, it won't happen.

The used console / game argument doesn't exactly have a place in your argument. The DS and DSi have been out for so long it's ridiculous - everybody who wants one probably has one by now. Nintendo already knows that brand new DS / DSi sales will account for virtually none of their income. The fact that Nintendo and all other gaming companies out there are fighting extremely hard over how to handle digital media / used consoles doesn't have anything to do with Pokemon Grey!

Exactly true. A simple and effective way for Nintendo to have two fingers in two different pies would be to release 2 versions for the new game - one DS and one 3DS. The 3DS would have additional functionality, wow factor, but would be completely compatible and game-identical to the DS version. If they really want to increase 3DS sales (not that they really have to) they can even make the 3DS version the same price as the DS version.

Megaphone said:

I don't know what to say. Really, I don't. I'll make it crystal clear:

Read who I was responding to.

Megaphone said:
Well, this is true. I didn't think it would be appropriate to get too much into the topic of business / marketing, perhaps I should clarify and say that the things I wrote were in the context of Pokemon Grey. I don't think that this particular case warrants the risk it would be bringing on should they decide to release it purely to the 3DS when you take the title's profitability into account. Nintendo will always have a chance to innovate later - the 3DS was an interesting step, and the Wii U is leaps and bounds over what we would expect from Microsoft and Sony. I have have no doubt that the next set of Pokemon games will continue being released on the 3DS, just not Grey!

Not disagreeing with your points, just clarifying myself a bit~

When it comes to business, it's either now or never. Countless businesses have gone under by making the right decision too late. (Borders Bookstores is an example: It discovered the correct direction that bookstores should go with e-Readers, with the Kobo backing it up--but the Nook and the Kindle have already been around for a while, and most of Borders's customer base had moved to Amazon and Barnes & Noble. Borders went bankrupt in 2010, and failing to find a buyer, imploded in 2011.) Generally, the time to go into action is before your competitiors do. Sony has already released the Vita worldwide, which is the 3DS's main competitor. That is, Sony's stepped up its game, and Nintendo needs to step up too.

Besides, Pokémon games sell systems on their own. A lot of kids got a Game Boy or Game Boy Color just for Pokémon Red/Blue/Yellow. Same with a GBA just for Ruby/Sapphire and a DS for Diamond/Pearl/Platinum. They are consistently killer apps. The only issue here is compatibility if the next main series Pokémon game is on the 3DS.

Ophie said:
When it comes to business, it's either now or never. Countless businesses have gone under by making the right decision too late. (Borders Bookstores is an example: It discovered the correct direction that bookstores should go with e-Readers, with the Kobo backing it up--but the Nook and the Kindle have already been around for a while, and most of Borders's customer base had moved to Amazon and Barnes & Noble. Borders went bankrupt in 2010, and failing to find a buyer, imploded in 2011.) Generally, the time to go into action is before your competitiors do. Sony has already released the Vita worldwide, which is the 3DS's main competitor. That is, Sony's stepped up its game, and Nintendo needs to step up too.

Besides, Pokémon games sell systems on their own. A lot of kids got a Game Boy or Game Boy Color just for Pokémon Red/Blue/Yellow. Same with a GBA just for Ruby/Sapphire and a DS for Diamond/Pearl/Platinum. They are consistently killer apps. The only issue here is compatibility if the next main series Pokémon game is on the 3DS.

This. This SOOOOO hard.

Considering this is a Pokemon forum, and Pokemon originated in Japan, I'm VERY surprised at the lack of knowledge of one thing:

Monster Hunter. It sells portable systems in Japan. This cannot be debated, at all. Considering Nintendo was able to move more than 400,000 systems in Japan in December alone, and with MHTri-G selling more than a million copies from December to the middle of January (that's the last time I checked, it was around 1.2 million copies), it would be a poor decision not to release it on the 3DS.

With the humongous momentum Tri-G built, and some people still waiting on the fence for a reason to buy a 3DS (I know of 4 people, personally, that REFUSE to buy one without a Pokemon game on it), this would be the push that is needed.

Game Freak has had the developer's kit for it since God knows when, they've had enough time to meddle around with it. Considering B/W have been in development since after the release of D/P, there's no reason they couldn't have perform the needed upgrades while hype was being built up for B/W.

Also, considering how fast they crank these games out (what with getting Platinum, HG/SS, and B/W within a year of each other), they aren't afraid as to whether or not people will buy them, because Nintendo and Game Freak KNOW people will.

If Gray is released for the 3DS, I don't see any compatibility problems with Black and White. I think it would be similar to G/S and Crystal, or FR/LG with R/S.

GreenAiden555 said:
I don't know what to say. Really, I don't. I'll make it crystal clear:

Read who I was responding to.

Sorry, I was responding to the points you were making. You can't dismiss an argument like that ;).

Besides, it seems like my stance has already been justified with all of the recent news that has been released. Pokemon is just far, far too big. The people who are waiting for a 3DS exclusive Pokemon game are going to have to wait a bit longer I'm afraid :(.

Back